C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
View attachment 841548
He's 1st in both goals and assists among U20 players in the AHL.

Amazes me that many people do not understand how large the jump from the CHL or the NCAA to the AHL is. It is a far smaller jump from the AHL to the NHL. There are simply not that many 19-year-olds who have the ability to play in the league.

Wright is doing fine, people just need to temper their expectations.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A bit surprised that he isn't getting a late season run with Seattle now that the playoffs are no longer likely.

At the same time, playing a key role for the Firebirds in what is likely to be a long run in pursuit of a second Calder Trophy might be more beneficial to his long-term development.
Me, too.

I was also surprised when they kept him out of the World Juniors - altho, TBH, I think the Kraken took the blame for Wright not going when it was Shane who did not want to go to Sweden.

It's "<bleep> or get off the pot" time for the kid. Time to step up and make it impossible for Seattle NOT to have him on the team.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It;s "<bleep> or get off the pot" time for the kid. Time to step up and make it impossible for Seattle NOT to have him on the team.

You'd hope he makes the team in the Fall.

But shit or get off the pot is for older prospects. 20 years old is young. And 20 year olds will have many chances ahead of them. Some never figure it out, some don't pop until they're much older.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Amazes me that many people do not understand how large the jump from the CHL or the NCAA to the AHL is. It is a far smaller jump from the AHL to the NHL. There are simply not that many 19-year-olds who have the ability to play in the league.

Wright is doing fine, people just need to temper their expectations.
A lot of good NCAA kids that stay 3 years can bypass the AHL because they are already 22 when they are pro rookies. Completely agree though that CHL to AHL is a monumental jump, hence why it's silly that pro teams sometimes end up feeling like they have to keep a kid in the NHL all season when the org feels like they've graduated out of juniors... or if they're competing they basically waste another year playing juniors when they are already too good for it. First round picks deserve to graduate into the AHL if the pro org thinks they are ready.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

But shit or get off the pot is for older prospects. 20 years old is young. And 20 year olds will have many chances ahead of them. Some never figure it out, some don't pop until they're much older.
That's fair.

TBH, me saying "<bleep> or get off the pot" has more to do my frustration defending the kid for the last 3 years. I was really disappointed when he took the easy way out in December - a no show at the World Juniors.

Wright seems to be like Bart Simpson - an underachiever and proud of it. I hope I'm wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: H3ckt1k

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
A lot of good NCAA kids that stay 3 years can bypass the AHL because they are already 22 when they are pro rookies.

Even the majority of graduating top NCAA players, no matter their age, spend some time in the AHL...the jump from the NCAA to the AHL is large as well

That's fair.

TBH, me saying "<bleep> or get off the pot" has more to do my frustration defending the kid for the last 3 years. I was really disappointed when he took the easy way out in December - a no show at the World Juniors.

Wright seems to be like Bart Simpson - an underachiever and proud of it. I hope I'm wrong.

Wright is never going to be "that guy" for Seattle or any other franchise...he will be good, however. Think a solid number 2 C on a very good Cup bound team.

Reactions: ORRFForever

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Will he be an NHL player? Sure.

Will he be a bust based on his draft position? Yes.

Legwand 2.0…

bmore236

Mar 3, 2004
He’s sort of lost two years. His D-1 and possibly his D+1, when he got moved around a lot. Let’s see how he does till the end of the regular season and playoffs.

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
Another 2 point night, he's done well during the month of March. I think him staying in the AHL is the best unless he was gonna be propelled into the top 6, bottom 6 means more checking and heavier emphasis on defensive play, I think him honing his offensive play in the top 6 of the AHL is the biggest boon.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Was going to say the same thing. There is no point in rushing his development. Let him develop his complete game and mature physically out of the spotlight. Players like Tyson Foerster and Marco Rossi benefitted from time spent in the AHL. I'd imagine others like Brad Lambert and perhaps Aatu Raty have similar success next season.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Yeah, but just barely. What was it, 1 game short?

He's one of a dozen or so 2022 picks playing as an AHL regular this year.
I think what the poster is alluding to is that, outside of the COVID season with no OHL that produced some inflated stats, it is very rare for a CHL player in their "19 year old" season to be playing in the AHL, so there isn't much to compare him against. A lot of the U-20 European prospects in the AHL have had experience in men's leagues, and NCAA guys have played against older players, whereas CHL players might have more of an adjustment jumping to a men's league coming from U-20. There just isn't much data to rely upon for Wright's case.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Isn’t he out scoring all of them?
He's behind Lambert:

1711553396234.png

He's having a good season on a great team - he's 5th in scoring on CV. Lambert and Kulich are the only 2022 forwards who have been better in the AHL this year (though Savoie looked awesome in his short stint).

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think what the poster is alluding to is that, outside of the COVID season with no OHL that produced some inflated stats, it is very rare for a CHL player in their "19 year old" season to be playing in the AHL, so there isn't much to compare him against. A lot of the U-20 European prospects in the AHL have had experience in men's leagues, and NCAA guys have played against older players, whereas CHL players might have more of an adjustment jumping to a men's league coming from U-20. There just isn't much data to rely upon for Wright's case.
Yeah, but it's not like Wright came into this season without solid pro experience. He played 8 NHL games and 32 AHL games last season. If anything, I think he has an advantage over a lot of the guys from that draft, who are playing their first AHL season.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
@landy92mack29 - care to say what's so funny about this statement (that is true, fwiw)? Or just more blatant hating of NCAA Hockey?
could pm instead of sidetracking this thread but they bypass the AHL because they have leverage and get guarantees to go straight to the nhl or else they won't sign. Then after a certain time the guarantee runs out and the majority never see the nhl again. It's basically the same thing euros but especially Russians use where it's have me in the nhl or I'm going home. Don't blame them for using it as it gets them in the nhl. The Avs have a history of a lot of awful NCAA players going straight to the nhl because of no picks or depth and hand spots to players that don't belong.

Reactions: Corso

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
could pm instead of sidetracking this thread but they bypass the AHL because they have leverage and get guarantees to go straight to the nhl or else they won't sign. Then after a certain time the guarantee runs out and the majority never see the nhl again. It's basically the same thing euros but especially Russians use where it's have me in the nhl or I'm going home. Don't blame them for using it as it gets them in the nhl. The Avs have a history of a lot of awful NCAA players going straight to the nhl because of no picks or depth and hand spots to players that don't belong.
Yeah, sure, if you're talking about bad players. But many do manage to stick or will play like ~10 games (or other very short stints) in their whole life in the AHL. Not just talking top 5 picks either. It's really not a controversial statement that NCAA players may not need as much AHL seasoning beause they come in older and sign when they are ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00