C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
He's already improved on many of those things since his draft year. A 2C type role is not far fetched for him.
He has the shot for a top 6 already. Always has. If he can up the ante on the rest of his game, sure, why not 2C. Obviously needs to get more assists etc. Hard to rely just on goals as a center. I wonder if they are at all considering moving him to wing. I haven't put eyes on him this month to give an eye-test opinion. But either way, time will tell.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Shane Wright is a rare prospect.

Usually a player thread picks up as a player is playing well, instead this one get quiet.

When he struggles though, this thread is the place to be.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

josra33

Aug 11, 2008

Usually a player thread picks up as a player is playing well, instead this one get quiet.

When he struggles though, this thread is the place to be.
Kinda like the Charlie Stramel thread... but opposite.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland

Is he playing well though? 2pts in his last 5, 5pts in his last 10gp, in the AHL. I guess that's pretty good for a random 20yo, but since he was so hyped that's kinda disappointing.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Is he playing well though? 2pts in his last 5, 5pts in his last 10gp, in the AHL. I guess that's pretty good for a random 20yo, but since he was so hyped that's kinda disappointing.
Kinda disingenuous that you said points instead of 4 goals…. But ok

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Considering that players his age are still playing in the CHL, I’d say he’s having a good season. Not like he was hyped, but a good season nonetheless.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Considering that players his age are still playing in the CHL, I’d say he’s having a good season. Not like he was hyped, but a good season nonetheless.
On pace for 27 goals is garbage in his 19 year old season.

Edit: sarcasm for those that can’t detect it.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
On pace for 27 goals is garbage in his 19 year old season.

Edit: sarcasm for those that can’t detect it.
It's the relative to expectations problem, which is why we should always try to look at the entire scope instead of early hype.

The guy is probably still going to have a solid - to - good NHL career. That's better than 99.99% of people. But he was pegged as a future franchise #1C at 15 so it skews how the average fan will view him forever. Danny cleary was able to shed his "phenom to bust" label , but it took winning a cup and becoming a veteran role player.

Wright can do the same, but to some he will always be an underachiever

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Kinda disingenuous that you said points instead of 4 goals…. But ok

I thought hfboards thinks assists are as valuable as goals (see polls) :sarcasm:

Anyway didn't mean to downplay him, I like the Kraken so I hope he can reach his potential. But plenty of top draft players have been (or could have been) ppg in the AHL in their D+2 year. Alex Holtz was and scored 26 goals in 52 games, he's playing NHL 4th line now and seen as somewhat disappointment to draft expectations. Wright was at some point seen as generational for his age and even going in to the draft day the favorite for 1OA. It's good that he looks like he'll be an NHLer, but he doesn't look like he'll be a star player just yet.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Nemec is looking like who should of been drafted first in the draft year. He is looking solid (from a Hawks fan not NJ).
If you haven't been watching recently, Slafkovsky is showing why he was taken first in the draft. He certainly had a slow start to the year and only a single goal in his last 5 games, but since mid-December, his numbers have been great (11-13-24 in 31gp). He's been averaging over 20 minutes a game over his last ten, and has really meshed on the first line since being promoted. It's not just the numbers; he's been showing flashes of dominance along the way, a few times being the best player on the ice for either side and his defensive play has come A LONG way.

A year and a half after the draft is way to early to satisfy yourself who should have gone at the top, but Slaf has presented a great case.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
If you haven't been watching recently, Slafkovsky is showing why he was taken first in the draft. He certainly had a slow start to the year and only a single goal in his last 5 games, but since mid-December, his numbers have been great (11-13-24 in 31gp). He's been averaging over 20 minutes a game over his last ten, and has really meshed on the first line since being promoted. It's not just the numbers; he's been showing flashes of dominance along the way, a few times being the best player on the ice for either side and his defensive play has come A LONG way.

A year and a half after the draft is way to early to satisfy yourself who should have gone at the top, but Slaf has presented a great case.
It's between Nemec and Slaf at this point

I had Nemec/Cooley personally as 1 and 2 personally

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Not sure if there is a ban on a Shane Wright thread but I can't find one that is open. He's only 20 and a "prospect", so I'll start one and the Mods can shut it down if they'd like.

53 Games / 19 Goals / 22 Assists in the AHL is "good" but not great.

Does anyone have a 2024 perspective on the kid from Burlington?

(*I'm hoping the thread does not get hijacked by posters bashing him.*)

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not sure if there is a ban on a Shane Wright thread but I can't find one that is open. He's only 20 and a "prospect", so I'll start one and the Mods can shut it down if they'd like.

53 Games / 19 Goals / 22 Assists in the AHL is "good" but not great.

Does anyone have a 2024 perspective on the kid from Burlington?

(*I'm hoping the thread does not get hijacked by posters bashing him.*)

He has an NHL shot and works well as a complimentary scorer with other skill players.

But he plays with zero intensity, drifts out of the play a lot, is poor defensively. Not an amazing skater either.

I don’t think he has the motor or defensive chops to stick at C in the NHL and will likely end up as a softish scoring winger with 30-goal upside like a Brock Boeser as a best-case.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He has an NHL shot and works well as a complimentary scorer with other skill players.

But he plays with zero intensity, drifts out of the play a lot, is poor defensively. Not an amazing skater either.

I don’t think he has the motor or defensive chops to stick at C in the NHL and will likely end up as a softish scoring winger with 30-goal upside like a Brock Boeser as a best-case.
Ouch! I hope you're wrong.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
A bit surprised that he isn't getting a late season run with Seattle now that the playoffs are no longer likely.

At the same time, playing a key role for the Firebirds in what is likely to be a long run in pursuit of a second Calder Trophy might be more beneficial to his long-term development.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
39th in goals (9th among rookies).
69th in points (12th among rookies)

next summer will be his 3rd summer with the Kraken organization
- his ELC expires after next season

Total of 96 pro games (play-offs included)

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
A bit surprised that he isn't getting a late season run with Seattle now that the playoffs are no longer likely.

At the same time, playing a key role for the Firebirds in what is likely to be a long run in pursuit of a second Calder Trophy might be more beneficial to his long-term development.
They actually ended up losing last year so it’s the pursuit of a 1st Calder cup

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
39th in goals (9th among rookies).
69th in points (12th among rookies)

next summer will be his 3rd summer with the Kraken organization
- his ELC expires after next season

Total of 96 pro games (play-offs included)
1000004352.png

He's 1st in both goals and assists among U20 players in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad