Pre-Game Talk: Game 2 - Edmonton at Vancouver: Looking for a rebound

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
This is another thing with him that gets dismissed as "ah, just bad luck," but you don't see pucks go in off anyone and into the net near to the degree it happens to Nurse. It's gotten a little better, but was chronic earlier in his career and its starting to become chronic again.

It's another small detail that he just isn't at all dialled in to.
Never seen a team/ goalie give up so many weird/fluke goals...seems to be a trend.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I really wonder how much change we will see from the Oilers. As much as last game sucked, we played the exact game we wanted to play for the first 40 minutes. The game took a turn after Nurse booted the puck in on Skinner at the end of the 2nd period, gave Nucks hope going into the intermission. They come back to score another then Stu isn’t good enough for the final 2 goals. Without the shitty individual mistakes performances by the blame trifecta of Nurse-Ceci-Skinner we played a game good enough to win that game.

I thought we played a horrible Game 1... not even sure how we got 4 goals. I'll give flowers for the first goal but the rest were Grade C chances if those were a thing
This team can be levels better than what we saw Wednesday

Reactions: nturn06 and Ibanez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good history buff
The scientist who developed the Atomic bomb studied the explosion from the Halifax Explosion in their design. When I went to college in HAlifax, I lived in North End by Olands brewery. All the houses were from the late 1800's early 1900's. All the houses foundations were made of rock . Every house in neighbourhood is pushed off its foundation a bit from the soundwave of the explosion.

View attachment 868353

View attachment 868355
Definitely a history buff. Whenever I travel somewhere we go to the places of historical significance. We were at this monument too. I love history of any kind. Wish Edmonton had preserved more of its historical heritage.

But doesn't matter where I travel I read books on the history of the area. Sociologically speaking I like to be aware of not just the present but what a place was. Of course London England, or Londinium was a place I wish I could go to regularly. I just don't do well in the smog and air quality there. Or the price of it.

On our tours of Canada Quebec City, Halifax, Ottawa (hate to admit it) and Old Montreal were probably our favorite city areas. Also in Toronto stayed at the Famous Selby Hotel where Ernest Hemingway was stationed as a war correspondent for the Toronto Star at the time. Got to see the suite Hemingway and his then wife stayed at.

I've loved history since I was 5yrs old. Soon as I could read well enough really.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Gonna a tough game with Drai and Henrique both hurt (even if they play, they are hurt) and Ceci/Nurse playing exceptionally bad. Likely need a "goalie steal" game out of Skinner. I actually have faith that he might have that in him though. He has been inconsistent for sure, but usually doesn't have 2 bad games in a row.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I thought we played a horrible Game 1... not even sure how we got 4 goals. I'll give flowers for the first goal but the rest were Grade C chances if those were a thing
This team can be levels better than what we saw Wednesday
Fair point. We were a bit fortunate on our goals for with weak goaltending by the other side. Also a bit unfortunate as that Nuge chance should have been a goal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Never seen goalie give up so many weird/fluke goals...seems to be a trend.
Yep again. Even allstar D have pucks going in off them. If anything thats testament to the D being where they are supposed to be, or at least home and around the net. Can usually dismiss it as bad luck. Still, most D are being saved by their goalies making stops on those strange plays. Skinner was kind of just watching on that puck that went in off Nurse in the LA series. he hardly even moved.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
The players started playing scared soon as it was 4-2. Both teams got a look at Skinner being shaky in net. It unravelled us. Players were scared of making turnovers so not making any plays. Oilers played as if they were scared of even allowing shots and one could see why.
If the team gets that rattled at a 4-2 LEAD, then we don’t deserve to win anyways.

Irrespective of Skinner, the Oilers did **** all to push the pace or even maintain possession of the puck for 2 out of 3 periods.

The team deserved to lose that game, not just Skinner.

He did not nail it when you are up 4 -1 your goalie cannot be letting those in the oil had kept them to the outside with not much in the way of good chances....YEs the O dried up but they were defending them well, it was embarassing those goals went in.

Maybe Vancouver is a bad matchup, no idea why the oil were faves coming into this series the nucks stymie us every game.

If Mcdavid doesn't pick it up this series is over, lets hope he does.
He did nail it.

It’s a 4-1 lead. Goaltending AND the team in front of him were trash. 4 shots on net and the Canucks controlling play for 2 out of 3 periods is on the PLAYERS. Not just Skinner.

Defending well is only when you stop the actual goals. If the other team has possession of the puck for 66% of the game, you can expect more bounces to go their way because they have the puck. That’s exactly what happened.

And let’s be real - their goalie was dog shit too. Their collective team found a way to get it done though and we didn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If the team gets that rattled at a 4-2 LEAD, then we don’t deserve to win anyways.

Irrespective of Skinner, the Oilers did **** all to push the pace or even maintain possession of the puck for 2 out of 3 periods.

No. Any team that has sufficient goaltending wins that game easy.

Again this just exhibits people not watching how the other contender teams are advancing by getting fantastic goaltending. We don't even get .900 goaltending from Skinner despite being PERFECT on pk giving up next to nothing. That Skinner can't have a good save % or stats with how good our pk is alone, is startling.

Everything Skinner gives up is EV. 4 of the goals Skinner gave up in game one were from range. Think about that. Other teams are often getting games from their goalies where they don't even let in one goal that is even remotely stoppable. Skinners EV save % in playoffs is pathetic.

To wit Rangers Canes game last night the goals that did beat the goalies were essentially unstoppable and teams getting tons of chances. Same thing with Dallas vs Colorado. Goalies keeping their clubs in the game. Even Colorado with Giorgiev the AV's were plain awful for two periods in allowing chances and the Stars were stoned in first period. At other end Ott is phenomenal.

The standard story here is the Oilers need to be airtight and essentially give up nothing for Skinner to have a peak game. Skinner has stolen one playoff game in his career here in 18 starts. He's given the game away in near half the games.

edit to edit. Defending well is limiting chances and keeping shots to periphery. The Oilers did all of that, even KK saying so. But the shot plot says that too.

You can keep saying what you're saying but Skinner giving up 4 goals in a 24min duration seeing only one HDSC in that time is ABYSMAL.

Last edited:

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

Again this just exhibits people not watching how the other contender teams are advancing by getting fantastic goaltending. We don't even get .900 goaltending from Skinner despite being PERFECT on pk giving up next to nothing. That Skinner can't have a good save % or stats with how good our pk is alone, is startling.

Everything Skinner gives up is EV. 4 of the goals Skinner gave up in game one were from range. Think about that. Other teams are often getting games from their goalies where they don't even let in one goal that is even remotely stoppable.

To wit Rangers Canes game last night the goals that did beat the goalies were essentially unstoppable and teams getting tons of chances. Same thing with Dallas vs Colorado. Goalies keeping their clubs in the game. Even Colorado with Giorgiev the AV's were plain awful for two periods in allowing chances and the Stars were stoned in first period. At other end Ott is phenomenal.

The standard story here is the Oilers need to be airtight and essentially give up nothing for Skinner to have a peak game. Skinner has stolen one playoff game in his career here in 18 starts. He's given the game away in near half the games.
I think we agree to disagree most post seasons and we likely will end up at the same spot.

Skinner sucked, I agree.

Having a goalie that would steal games would be a dream, I agree (he did steal one in the first round).

But again, if the team in front of him got caved with possession and HDSC for two third of the game, then the better team won.

The expectation shouldn’t be Skinner steals games.

The expectation should be the entire team (including Skinner) plays better and out-possesses, outshoots and outscores the opponent.

If we’re expecting Skinner to goalie us to the cup, then we’re delusional anyways.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Definitely a history buff. Whenever I travel somewhere we go to the places of historical significance. We were at this monument too. I love history of any kind. Wish Edmonton had preserved more of its historical heritage.

But doesn't matter where I travel I read books on the history of the area. Sociologically speaking I like to be aware of not just the present but what a place was. Of course London England, or Londinium was a place I wish I could go to regularly. I just don't do well in the smog and air quality there. Or the price of it.

On our tours of Canada Quebec City, Halifax, Ottawa (hate to admit it) and Old Montreal were probably our favorite city areas. Also in Toronto stayed at the Famous Selby Hotel where Ernest Hemingway was stationed as a war correspondent for the Toronto Star at the time. Got to see the suite Hemingway and his then wife stayed at.

I've loved history since I was 5yrs old. Soon as I could read well enough really.
History buff to HFBoard buff. What an evolution..😂

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Everything Skinner gives up is EV. 4 of the goals Skinner gave up in game one were from range. Think about that. Other teams are often getting games from their goalies where they don't even let in one goal that is even remotely stoppable. Skinners EV save % in playoffs is pathetic.

On one hand you are right, on the other if the rest of the group managed more than one shot in the back half of the hockey game we probably score at least one, maybe two more (Sivlovs sucks too) and the bad night from Skinner isn't a conversation.

If we were barnstorming them, pushing the puck in the right direction and just got toasted by goaltending then I would be right with you. But we weren't. If anything that's what the Nucks experienced in the second when they were all over us and we scored on basically our only two shots.

Goaltending was pretty much equal in that game. Better team in front of their goalie won the game.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Concerning Draisaitl: a back injury is usually far worse than a high ankle sprain in terms of ability to move and overall strength. All power comes through the back in some way. His game isn't as dependent on his skating as it is on his physicality, power and body tension (as needed for shooting, passing and especially puck protection).

One can just hope that it's something minor, otherwise I don't see how he could reproduce what he once did being injured.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
History buff to HFBoard buff. What an evolution..😂
The commonality is liking reading and writing and discussion. hehe.

Plus Its hard to find in this age a board that would be focused on Early exploration or the Fur trade or Mesoamerica or stuff. heh.. I took Geology too. Thats how much history I like. ;)

But social media doesn't talk much about real history.

jk aside when usenet was the main form of online discussion there were some really fascinating alt discussion forums. I've tried reddit but yikes. Every place I go is just shit flinging and flame throwers.

Strangely enough this is my preferred cup of tea or coffee place.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021

He did nail it.

It’s a 4-1 lead. Goaltending AND the team in front of him were trash. 4 shots on net and the Canucks controlling play for 2 out of 3 periods is on the PLAYERS. Not just Skinner.

Defending well is only when you stop the actual goals. If the other team has possession of the puck for 66% of the game, you can expect more bounces to go their way because they have the puck. That’s exactly what happened.

And let’s be real - their goalie was dog shit too. Their collective team found a way to get it done though and we didn’t.
Defending well is keeping them outside and no high danger shots which they did, those goals were all on skinner....no way they should have lost despite the lack of offense... Doesn't matter if their goalie was dogshit too why do people keep brining it up ? it was 4-1, 5 goals and 3 were utter embarassing. League avg goaltending the oil win that game by more then 1 goal.

Do you expect defensemen and forwards to stop pucks too? No excuse for 3 of those goals.

I think we agree to disagree most post seasons and we likely will end up at the same spot.

Skinner sucked, I agree.

Having a goalie that would steal games would be a dream, I agree (he did steal one in the first round).

But again, if the team in front of him got caved with possession and HDSC for two third of the game, then the better team won.

The expectation should be the entire team (including Skinner) plays better and out-possesses, outshoots and outscores the opponent.

If we’re expecting Skinner to goalie us to the cup, then we’re delusional anyways.
Steal? Who is talking steal? The nucks had possesion but zero good chances..all goals were weak and from far out..he just needed to be average not steal anything. The oil despite a lacklustre O and showing some rust. were defending very well the nucks were not generating anything...

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Skinner sucked, I agree.

My expectation isn't that Skinner steal games. My expectation is that he doesn't give them away and that's just what he did Wednesday.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Defending well is keeping them outside and no high danger shots which they did, those goals were all on skinner....no way they should have lost despite the lack of offense... Doesn't matter if their goalie was dogshit too why do people keep brining it up ? it was 4-1, 5 goals and 3 were utter embarassing. League avg goaltending the oil win that game by more then 1 goal.
Yes, Skinner sucked - that’s been established.

If the team in front of him had the puck for more than 1/3 of the game or had any semblance of pressure in the o-zone, that immediately reduces number of those ugly, stray shots going on our net.

The team (including Skinner) needs to be better.

And I’m not sure what the alternative is. Pickard and Campbell are not giving you better starts than Skinner.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
On one hand you are right, on the other if the rest of the group managed more than one shot in the back half of the hockey game we probably score at least one, maybe two more (Sivlovs sucks too) and the bad night from Skinner isn't a conversation.

If we were barnstorming them, pushing the puck in the right direction and just got toasted by goaltending then I would be right with you. But we weren't. If anything that's what the Nucks experienced in the second when they were all over us and we scored on basically our only two shots.

Goaltending was pretty much equal in that game. Better team in front of their goalie won the game.
Proviso being that none of the quality Canucks scored except Miller. We got two goals from elite scoring Hyman. One unstoppable by any goalie. We got two elite services from Drai, from Nuge, from McD. Canucks have nothing like that and Skinner isn't having to face any of that.

he's getting beat from long range by clowns like Zadorov or Garland.

The "these goalies were equal" doesn't consider who the other goalie is having to contend with.

To wit for LA to ever beat us in a series their goaltending would have to be twice as good as ours, because of our arsenal.

Skinner didn't even have to contend with Boeser or Pettersson who hardly even showed up in the game. The Nucks got it down the lineup.

In anycase many reasons exist for the loss. different things are true.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
My expectation isn't that Skinner steal games. My expectation is that he doesn't give them away and that's just what he did Wednesday.
The team gave it away. The Canucks out-possessed us, outshot us and overcame their shit goaltender who gave up flukes the same way ours did.

The better team won because they played better and the worse team lost because they played worse.

I agree Skinner was poor, but maybe I am in the minority because I don’t fault Skinner as much because of the bolded.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
This, saying he had to steal it is laughable, he just needed not to be very bad.

The team gave it away. The Canucks out-possessed us, outshot us and overcame their shit goaltender who gave up flukes the same way ours did.

The better team won because they played better and the worse team lost because they played worse.
No skinner just had to be average, the D was keeping them outside period. They had 1, just 1 high danger chance when we were up 4-1, that is awful goaltending. Teams are not 100% all the time.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Skinner sucked, I agree.

Here we can agree somewhat. This is what we got so I gotta accept it. But I don't want to. hehe I want Cujo back. That would be nice.

Reactions: PuckG

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Mine too brother.. Skyrise Edmonton as well, although infrequently.
Connect2Edmonton, some of the posters gave me an aversion to trying that site out too much. Found a lot of vested interest posters there too. People with local skin in game, developers and such arguing online on their personal behalf. Albeit K Cantor was always a good read. Is IanO still getting mass attacked? hehe

Man, I was right about the DT Museum all along. Next to nobody is going to the new location. Sad. I loved the old Museum. All the memories are there. Growing up the Museum and Archives was just a short bus ride away. Learned a lot there. that was a family place in a friendly location that you could drive too as well with free parking. Then take in the splendid river valley or neighborhood views. One of the best parts of Edmonton there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad