C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I feel bad for you that you blindly believe random sources with a history of fake news. As I said originally, in the post you responded to, not a single reliable source has confirmed "death threats".

Only fake news hockey rags like this one.

Despicable that some will leverage that to try winning internet arguments.
We can get back to Wright but there were more than just that one. You asked for a source and you got it. If you’re interested you can look at the other 30 search results that it showed to go along with it.

Anyways back to Wright. This kids a stud and will fit right in on Line 2

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
We don't ruin anyone. Mentally fragile players usually won't fare well here, but that's the reality of playing in a big market.
Yeah , god forbid some of these guys have to play in cities that actually care , poor them seriously. Not interested in mental midgets , they never cut it in markets where hockey actually matters. Good thing for the NHL there's only 2 markets where fans are bats**** crazy in the entire NHL.

Football , Basketball , American football , Baseball , they all get it. The difference is that its only in Toronto and Montreal that the market is die hard enough to go to those extremes in Hockey.

Last edited:

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
We can get back to Wright but there were more than just that one. You asked for a source and you got it. If you’re interested you can look at the other 30 search results that it showed to go along with it.

Anyways back to Wright. This kids a stud and will fit right in on Line 2
I searched Google before making the initial comment and saw zero reliable sources, hence why I was prompted to ask for their source that wasn't "hockeyfan.com" or "nhlfeed.org"

When Cutter Gauthier received death threats from some Flyers fans, it was reported by Sportsnet, The Athletic and TSN. Actual, valid sources... not fan sites that spread fake gossip for clicks.

On the topic of Wright, I agree with you that he has a very good chance at being a solid 2C in the NHL. Nice to see him slowly find his game at the NHL level. As someone said earlier, I'm curious if they actually do burn a year of his contract this year. Tough to justify sitting him at this point.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Habs fans are happy that they selected Slafkovsky. Nothing wrong with that. If take issue to that, that's on you.

As for Wright, i was always convinced he would eventually turn into at worst a 2C/3C. He has a high floor and can become a 2C/1C IMO. Glad to see him developing and changing peoples minds. Like the Slaf detractors, people will be eating crow about Wright.

I think all Habs fans share this opinion.
There is nothing wrong with being happy with Slafkovsky. It’s the “every time Shane Wright does anything (good or bad), Habs fans have to smugly appear and profess just how thrilled they are not to have Shame Wright” thing that’s extremely, extremely old. You can’t deny that has been happening since he was drafted.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
this stare down, and I saw it live, solidified it for me that I would want nothing to do with this kid. The entitlement...

The entitlement of Habs fans over this kid is what is actually striking.

The stare made me like Shane Wright a lot more. He was lifeless his whole draft year but you see him with that stare and you know this kid will fight to prove himself. A beautiful moment.

There is nothing wrong with being happy with Slafkovsky. It’s the “every time Shane Wright does anything (good or bad), Habs fans have to smugly appear and profess just how thrilled they are not to have Shame Wright” thing that’s extremely, extremely old. You can’t deny that has been happening since he was drafted.

We should have Habs fans elect a representative who can comment on Wright threads about once every fifteen posts. When they all come here it is just a Habs emotional support group and there is no room for anyone to discuss the actual player.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
*some Hab fans.

I am really happy to see Wright succeeding. I was upset for how unfairly he was treated before, during and after the 2022 draft. To see him do as well as he has lately is awesome and inspiring (shutting all his critics up). I really wish him all the very best moving forward and believe he can end up being a great hockey player and will make his critics eat their words.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
The entitlement of Habs fans over this kid is what is actually striking.

The stare made me like Shane Wright a lot more. He was lifeless his whole draft year but you see him with that stare and you know this kid will fight to prove himself. A beautiful moment.

We should have Habs fans elect a representative who can comment on Wright threads about once every fifteen posts. When they all come here it is just a Habs emotional support group and there is no room for anyone to discuss the actual player.
lol I’m not a Habs fan.

But I take it back. I decided to learn more about Shane (I didn’t really follow that draft too much - life hapoens) and admit I said a stupid comment.

His father’s words during the draft when they skipped him changed my mind. That kind of dad makes excellent kids.

My b.

Reactions: majormajor

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Caught bits and pieces of their game vs the Sharks tonight and he was very noticeable. Fired a rocket off the crossbar in the 3rd. Went to the net front area frequently. Tied for the lead on the Kraken with 0.51 expected goals according to moneypuck.

The Seattle media covering the team all seem to think he will be sent down soon to avoid having him burn the 1st year of the ELC.

Reactions: Dominance

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Seattle media covering the team all seem to think he will be sent down soon to avoid having him burn the 1st year of the ELC.

That's not as obvious to me. If it was the 40 game mark and you would burn an RFA year (bringing your player to UFA a year earlier) that would be more obvious. But I don't think they'll mind starting the second contract earlier.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Seattle is fortunate that Wright looks like he may be able to step into next season as their top-line centre. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done with Beniers’s persistent 18 minutes of top-line and PP1 usage this season; he almost certainly would have bettered the latter’s sub-0.5 P/GP and may have pushed Bedard for the Calder if he gelled as quickly as he did over the cup of tea he got earlier this month.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Seattle is fortunate that Wright looks like he may be able to step into next season as their top-line centre. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done with Beniers’s persistent 18 minutes of top-line and PP1 usage this season; he almost certainly would have bettered the latter’s sub-0.5 P/GP and may have pushed Bedard for the Calder if he gelled as quickly as he did over the cup of tea he got earlier this month.

Wright looked much better in his late season call up than he did earlier in the year. I don't think we can project back what he did.

Reactions: Dominance

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
4 points, 2 goals in the last 3 games in AHL since being sent back down. Didn't play in their most recent game which is interesting, but I can't find any information why, perhaps it's not significant and just a coaching decision. Coachella is of course in the playoffs where he should see time, wonder if they will go on a deep run again. He's definitely performed and looked better as the season has gone on.

Interesting Beniers has had a much rougher year, although I'm not surprised seems like other teams are exploiting his lack of strength and I think his rookie year was a bit inflated due to the Krakens insane shooting % that year. 37 points in 77 games with 18~ mins per game is definitely not ideal, even with the team in general losing production, I don't think expecting 50 points from him this year was unreasonable.

I'm not gonna say Beniers has fallen off, but I don't think the guy has elite 1C potential that some pegged him for after his rookie season, maybe more of a 70 point guy who can hit 80 if things go right imo. I think he can still be good enough to become a decent/good 1C just maybe not a guy who can go out there and make things happen himself if other teammates aren't firing.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
4 points, 2 goals in the last 3 games in AHL since being sent back down. Didn't play in their most recent game which is interesting, but I can't find any information why, perhaps it's not significant and just a coaching decision. Coachella is of course in the playoffs where he should see time, wonder if they will go on a deep run again. He's definitely performed and looked better as the season has gone on.

Interesting Beniers has had a much rougher year, although I'm not surprised seems like other teams are exploiting his lack of strength and I think his rookie year was a bit inflated due to the Krakens insane shooting % that year. 37 points in 77 games with 18~ mins per game is definitely not ideal, even with the team in general losing production, I don't think expecting 50 points from him this year was unreasonable.

I'm not gonna say Beniers has fallen off, but I don't think the guy has elite 1C potential that some pegged him for after his rookie season, maybe more of a 70 point guy who can hit 80 if things go right imo. I think he can still be good enough to become a decent/good 1C just maybe not a guy who can go out there and make things happen himself if other teammates aren't firing.
No official announcement on why Wright didn't play the last game but I think it's simply to see where one of the new kids recently bought up and/or reward those kids. They gave Goyette his first AHL game and continued to play Nyman.

As far as Beniers goes, it could be a different ball game IF he can put on some muscle AND as the team improves over the next few seasons. And not to forget that he has been asked to play 1C on a team with little to no elite talent.

Reactions: majormajor

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No official announcement on why Wright didn't play the last game but I think it's simply to see where one of the new kids recently bought up and/or reward those kids. They gave Goyette his first AHL game and continued to play Nyman.
You should look to the lineup and see who else was in/out, it was the last game before the postseason and Coachella Valley had already clinched the Conference's top seed, so it is possible that they rested some of the top players. I don't know Coachella Valley's regular players well enough to be able to tell.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You should look to the lineup and see who else was in/out, it was the last game before the postseason and Coachella Valley had already clinched the Conference's top seed, so it is possible that they rested some of the top players. I don't know Coachella Valley's regular players well enough to be able to tell.
I did. And that is why I made the statement above. Over the last few weeks that roster has had an influx of new and returning players. Wright, Morrison and Winteron were sent down at different times from the Kraken back to the Firebirds. They have been regulars in Coachella for most of the season. They also got Nyman and Goyette. Since the playoffs spot was already secured, it makes sense to give them games instead.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Seattle is fortunate that Wright looks like he may be able to step into next season as their top-line centre.
This is like when you predicted he'd be a perennial 100 point scorer.

No he's not ready to be the Kraken's 1st line center, not even close. It's more likely he competes to be Coachella's 1C than Seattle - guys like Beniers, Gourde, and McCann are all much better options.
It would have been interesting to see what he could have done with Beniers’s persistent 18 minutes of top-line and PP1 usage this season; he almost certainly would have bettered the latter’s sub-0.5 P/GP
It's highly unlikely that he would have bettered 0.5 ppg. His NHLe in the AHL was only 32 points over a full 82 game season.

It's great he scored 4g 5p in his last 5 games, but they were against San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona, San Jose again, and LA. All of his points came in 3 meaningless games against San Jose, Anaheim, and Arizona.

More importantly, he shot at 33% during his 8 games this year. Considering he only shot 13.8% in the AHL, I think it's safe to assume that number would come down.
and may have pushed Bedard for the Calder if he gelled as quickly as he did over the cup of tea he got earlier this month.
HAHAHAHAHA.

Bedard scored at a higher clip in the NHL on the Chicago freakin Blackhawks than Wright did on a stacked AHL team.

Jesus you are delusional on this player.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yeah, a 0.797 AHL PPG player besting a 0.897 NHL PPG player is awfully ambitious. Coachella Valley was the highest scoring team in the AHL this season so it would have been a well equipped situation to just take and run with a dominant AHL PPG. Especially with Seattle as a team being 29/32 in goals scored this year. The 4 NHL goals is of course encouraging but 4/12 shooting isn't going to be sustained in a long sample and more a hot streak.

I get the sense with Dominance it's just more of the same Canada player (Wright) = Good, American player (Beniers) = Bad. You can always guess his opinions, like clockwork, based on which side of the border a player with an english name is from.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah, a 0.797 AHL PPG player besting a 0.897 NHL PPG player is awfully ambitious. Coachella Valley was the highest scoring team in the AHL this season so it would have been a well equipped situation to just take and run with a dominant AHL PPG. Especially with Seattle as a team being 29/32 in goals scored this year. The 4 NHL goals is of course encouraging but 4/12 shooting isn't going to be sustained in a long sample and more a hot streak.

I get the sense with Dominance it's just more of the same Canada player (Wright) = Good, American player (Beniers) = Bad. You can always guess his opinions, like clockwork, based on which side of the border a player with an english name is from.
Right? I think Wright still has a solid NHL future ahead of him, but I'm not even sure that he has 1C potential, let alone the potential to be one as soon as next year.

He's got a great shot and is a good passer and puck handler, but he's at best an average skater, and still needs to get much stronger on pucks. His all around game still needs a lot of work if he's going to be a full time center in the NHL, which I think he can. He's taken some real big steps in the AHL this year, he just needs to focus on building on that. If were Francis, I'd plan to start him there next season, and make him force me to call him up with his play.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I think people underestimate how humbling the last couple of years must have been for Wright. You're talking about a guy who had one of the most successful minor hockey careers of all time. He was certainly the most successful minor hockey player I saw in the five or six years I was at the rinks amateur scouting. Is crazy dominant for Burlington Minor Hockey and doesn't lose a step when he starts playing up with the most dominant 03 team in North America. And not only that, every time I saw him with Don Mills, he was the most dominant player on the ice. Yes he benefited from an early growth spurt, but he didn't dominate with his physicality that you could see from guys like Sean Day or Roman Schmidt. He always wowed with his poise, smarts, and skill.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if after the reality check of the last couple years, he starts playing back to his potential.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think people underestimate how humbling the last couple of years must have been for Wright. You're talking about a guy who had one of the most successful minor hockey careers of all time. He was certainly the most successful minor hockey player I saw in the five or six years I was at the rinks amateur scouting. Is crazy dominant for Burlington Minor Hockey and doesn't lose a step when he starts playing up with the most dominant 03 team in North America. And not only that, every time I saw him with Don Mills, he was the most dominant player on the ice. Yes he benefited from an early growth spurt, but he didn't dominate with his physicality that you could see from guys like Sean Day or Roman Schmidt. He always wowed with his poise, smarts, and skill.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if after the reality check of the last couple years, he starts playing back to his potential.
I don't know, his stride power, hand strength, and snap shot were all pretty much pro level when he was 15.

Last edited:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

Until his draft year he was one of the most successful players in recent memory.

- Dominant minor hockey and considered a phenom by age 12.

- He's surclassed and still dominates the 03s. Nearly leads Ontario to a gold medal (lost in ot in the finals) of thr Canada games.

- Best 15 year old season statistically in ohl history

- captain and top scorer of u18 worlds as an underage player

This is the type of stuff that is normally reserved for franchise altering, if not generational stars. From ages 12-17 he was as successful as basically any player ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad