C Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2014, 4th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
"Oilers draft too many small skilled injury prone forwards" - Every poster in any Oiler prospects thread.

thats probably a reason.

HF would have had a hayday if the oilers drafted him and then ended up having shoulder surgery and missed most of this year.

It's not like Draisaitl was a bad draft choice, exactly. If he was a better skater he'd easily have been in the conversation for top forward on consensus lists.

That said, I'm glad Bennett dropped to the Flames (was hoping Ekblad would like Jones had the year prior, but pipe dreams).

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
"Oilers draft too many small skilled injury prone forwards" - Every poster in any Oiler prospects thread.

thats probably a reason.

HF would have had a hayday if the oilers drafted him and then ended up having shoulder surgery and missed most of this year.

Id say it has more to do with drafting relatively one-dimensional forwards as opposed to the size. Bennett's a high compete level high hockey IQ two-way player, can be effective in all situations.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Id say it has more to do with drafting relatively one-dimensional forwards as opposed to the size. Bennett's a high compete level high hockey IQ two-way player, can be effective in all situations.

RNH is to. He still gets called an injury prone small skilled forward. Difference is he has a great hockey IQ and plays less physical.Which I would prefer considering his frame and shoulder surgery.

Last edited:

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
He should have went number 2 overall. ISS had number 1, or was it CSS? anyways, I personally think because of his speed, grit, and willingness to play a physical game, I personally think he will be the best "forward" out of the 2014 draft. Not sure why Edmonton passed on this guy.

Leon Draisaitl - Kelowna Rockets: GP 24 G 15 A 24 P 39

This guy is why they passed on him

Aug 3, 2010
Leon Draisaitl - Kelowna Rockets: GP 24 G 15 A 24 P 39

This guy is why they passed on him
1.69PPG on a stacked Rockets team, not bad.

Of course, the sample size is small and can't be helped this season, but:

4GP 3G 3A 6P = 1.5PPG off a long shoulder injury on the unarguably weaker team.

Will be an interesting race to say the least.

----

I don't think it's fair to even compare Draisaitl to Bennett. They're not the same style of player at all.
I think it would be much more beneficial in terms of position and playstyle to compare Draisaitl to Monahan, although Monahan is obviously a year older which gives him a developmental edge.
There's a very good chance that Bennett gets moved to wing in the NHL but Monahan is an established centre. Just my 2 cents.

Aug 21, 2014

thats probably a reason.

That's fine and dandy for the Oil. Bennett's not small he's 6'1 and around 190lbs. He played part of the season with a bum shoulder. Hence the lack of pull ups.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

thats probably a reason.

I'd hope the Oilers opted for Draisaitl over Bennett because they felt he was the BPA, not because they were worried what HF fans think of adding another "small skilled forward".

It was one of the reasons I absolutely hated the argument (not that you made it -- but just that I'd read it a few times around draft time) that even thought Bennett might be the better player, the Oilers needed Draisaitl because of his size. That's crazy thinking. You don't take an inferior player just because he's bigger.

To be clear, I'm not saying Draisaitl is inferior. Time will tell. I'm a huge Bennett fan, so obviously there's going to be bias there. I'm just saying that *if* Bennett was deemed BPA, but Draisaitl was the choice because he's bigger, that's a flawed way to build a team.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'd hope the Oilers opted for Draisaitl over Bennett because they felt he was the BPA, not because they were worried what HF fans think of adding another "small skilled forward".

It was one of the reasons I absolutely hated the argument (not that you made it -- but just that I'd read it a few times around draft time) that even thought Bennett might be the better player, the Oilers needed Draisaitl because of his size. That's crazy thinking. You don't take an inferior player just because he's bigger.

To be clear, I'm not saying Draisaitl is inferior. Time will tell. I'm a huge Bennett fan, so obviously there's going to be bias there. I'm just saying that *if* Bennett was deemed BPA, but Draisaitl was the choice because he's bigger, that's a flawed way to build a team.

If there's no clear-cut BPA, always go for needs. Oilers need Draisaitl more than Bennett.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
That's fine and dandy for the Oil. Bennett's not small he's 6'1 and around 190lbs. He played part of the season with a bum shoulder. Hence the lack of pull ups.

He's smaller than RNH is. Weighs less than Hall and Yakupov. Only one he's bigger than is Eberle

KidLine93

May 15, 2012

My point isn't really who's better/ who they should have taken.

Only guy the oilers could have drafted and not been ripped on would have been Ekblad but clearly he didn't fall to 3rd..

It's more on the lines of Bennett would be getting ripped on if he was an oiler prospect, especially since he had a significant injury and fits into the category of a small skilled forward.

LD was called a bust earlier this year....is currently putting up great numbers in the WHL while playing on the 2nd line, he's not playing with Kelowna's top line of Merkley etc. He turned the 2nd line into a serious threat.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
What do they have to do with anything? They're NHL regulars. Bennett's still developing in the OHL.

guys don't get much taller after 18, unless you're a huge outlier.

Unless he's going to add over 20 pounds he wont be as heavy as Hall or Yak.

He will probably end up around the same size as RNH who is constantly ridiculed about his size/injuries.

Hence my post about him being viewed different if the Oilers had drafted him.

Since when do people stop physically growing in the NHL but are able to grow in the OHL?

You saying Leon's body stopped developing while he was in the NHL but now that he's in the WHL his body can grow again???

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Bennett will be a better player than Draisatl to be honest. Bennett is just a complete package with a high compete level, no "real" deficiencies in his game compared to Drasaitl that skates worse than I do.

I still think he will be the best forward of this draft.

Aug 21, 2014
guys don't get much taller after 18, unless you're a huge outlier.

Unless he's going to add over 20 pounds he wont be as heavy as Hall or Yak.

He will probably end up around the same size as RNH who is constantly ridiculed about his size/injuries.

Hence my post about him being viewed different if the Oilers had drafted him.

Since when do people stop physically growing in the NHL but are able to grow in the OHL?

You saying Leon's body stopped developing while he was in the NHL but now that he's in the WHL his body can grow again???

1st Men stop growing at 25 (albeit its about half an inch, unless your Dennis Rodman).2nd Why can't he add 20lbs of lean muscle? He had shoulder rehab and had to take it easy. 3rd Nope never said that, your just putting words in my mouth.

Aug 3, 2010
The best player in the League is 5'11", 200lbs. It's not even really about your height and weight, it's your ability and willingness to use it.

It's not a Bennet vs Edmonton thread. Calgary fans obviously like the player they drafted. Edmonton drafted Draisaitl ahead of him because they liked him more. Give it two or three years before bothering to compare their impact because let's face it, neither haven't made any.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Came in here to read about Bennett, instead just a bunch of Oilers posting about Bennett's size... Disappointed.

Bennett is only 18! 6'1 is good/average height in the NHL... He'll probably hit 200 - 205 in a couple years when he fills out. The kid plays like a pit bull. He's relentless and physical. Nothing to worry about.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Where does this notion that Bennett is small come from? Most sites list him between 6'0 to 6'1. And while he was slender last year (around 180 lbs.), he's up to around 190 lbs. now.

He's not Eric Lindros, but since when is around 6'1, 190 lbs. considered a small player?

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Where does this notion that Bennett is small come from? Most sites list him between 6'0 to 6'1. And while he was slender last year (around 180 lbs.), he's up to around 190 lbs. now.

He's not Eric Lindros, but since when is around 6'1, 190 lbs. considered a small player?

Especially at 18! The kid is still growing and will likely add anywhere from 7 - 15 extra pounds of muscle of the next 2-3 years!

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Must be those tiny hips everyone was talking about. :sarcasm:

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
1st Men stop growing at 25 (albeit its about half an inch, unless your Dennis Rodman).2nd Why can't he add 20lbs of lean muscle? He had shoulder rehab and had to take it easy. 3rd Nope never said that, your just putting words in my mouth.

1) men stop filling out around 25 (weight, width, broader shoulders). They don't get taller in their early-mid 20's. 1/2 inch is nothing. He will remain around the same height as RNH/Hall.

2)Not saying he can't add 20 lbs of lean muscle, just saying he's the same size as the other players I listed when they were prospects and they are considered small, and he has had injury issues at a young age just like some of the other names I listed did. Hence it's not a stretch to assume he will be of similar size to the others when he fills out. Therefor receiving the same treatment that the other oiler plays do around the league from fans.

3) well then I don't understand what your point was in asking why the oilers players names were listed. It was pretty clear why I listed them. I was comparing his status as a prospect to the most recent oiler prospects that are ridiculed about being small skilled forwards on a team that needs big, strong forwards who can battle along the boards against the big teams in the pacific. Unless you didn't read the previous posts in the thread or you have a problem with reading comprehension, which I doubt the latter since you responded to my last post just fine.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Notice how it's only Edmonton fans saying it? I guess they feel like they need to defend MacT's choice of taking Draisaitl, who I believe was ranked lower in virtually every ranking (I cant think of any where he wasnt). And since you cant criticize Bennett for skating, skill, work ethic, defensive play, etc. Theyre saying its because of size, despite him being average sized, not small.

Given MacT/Lowe's track record, I dont know why anyone would jump to defend any decision by them and assume it was the correct one.

Bennett: 3rd (TSN), 1st (SN), 3rd (THW), 1st (THN), 1st (Hockey Prospect), 4th (ISS), 2nd (McKeen), 1st (CS), etc

Draisaitl: 4th (TSN), 4th (SN), 6th (THW), 4th (THN), 6th (Hockey Prospect), 6th (ISS), 4th (McKeen), 4th (CS), etc

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad