C Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2014, 4th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Might be a minority, but give me Bennett over Reinhart.

Getting closer to the draft, I was starting to lean more towards Reinhart, but all season leading up to the draft, I was flip-flopping between Bennett and Reinhart.

I love the kids motor, and his skill set is pretty damn impressive; he's going to be an AWESOME guy to watch next year.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Ya, can't go wrong with either Reinhart or Bennett.

I was torn, but slightly leaning towards Reinhart... It was 51/49 close though. :laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I still think Reinhart is the safer bet to be a top-6 forward. Hes one of the most intelligent players I have ever seen personally. Reinhart would have been my preference but I was absolutely thrilled we were able to get Bennett.

Should be interesting to follow both of them going forward. Reinhart is probably a better fit in Buffalo as we already have a very cerebral center in Monahan.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I really cannot see a situation where Shore ends up as a regular on that line. Anything is possible I suppose but Shore is likely going to be used in a bottom-6 role and have to put in his time just like we have seen with guys like Jooris, Granlund ect.

Keep in mind Jooris and Granlund both spent late October through December between Gaudreau and Hudler...

Shore gives that line a right hand shot, size, board-presence, while still having the passing and skating needed to do those great players proud.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I was honestly fine with whoever Buffalo picked, because I knew whoever they picked we'd get the other. I was 50/50 on Reinhart/Bennett.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
As an oiler fan i wanted him over Draisatl at the draft but i'm starting to like our pick now. It will be interesting to see them play against each other in a year or two. Different players that bring different abilities to the table. Both are looking good in juniors this year, both better than Reinhart.

stardefender*

How did he drop?

How did he not? He could have gone anywhere between 1 and 4 and we got him at 4. While it was likely Florida was going to take Ekblad, they were rumoured to be shopping that pick hard and anyone could have gone 1st if they moved it. Buffalo could have taken either Sam. While Edmonton was rumoured to be interested in Draisaitl they could have taken Bennett as well.

It's perfectly reasonable to say he fell to us at four. With Jones having dropped the year before, anything can happen draft day.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
As an oiler fan i wanted him over Draisatl at the draft but i'm starting to like our pick now. It will be interesting to see them play against each other in a year or two. Different players that bring different abilities to the table. Both are looking good in juniors this year, both better than Reinhart.

There's a reason Reinhart went 2nd overall. I'm not trying to be anti-oiler right now, but if given the choice between Reinhart or Draisaitl, i'd take Reinhart 10/10.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
There's a reason Reinhart went 2nd overall. I'm not trying to be anti-oiler right now, but if given the choice between Reinhart or Draisaitl, i'd take Reinhart 10/10.

just for fun, say you had Bennett already - he was your top guy, and you really had no one after him - going against Kopitar, Getzlaf et al, every year - would it still be 10 out of 10? Keep in mind you don't have Monahan - not trying to get a rise - just wondering if 2 smallish (compared to the rest of the west) would be the answer. I myself would love 2 RNH's, just not sure it would be best.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
just for fun, say you had Bennett already - he was your top guy, and you really had no one after him - going against Kopitar, Getzlaf et al, every year - would it still be 10 out of 10? Keep in mind you don't have Monahan - not trying to get a rise - just wondering if 2 smallish (compared to the rest of the west) would be the answer. I myself would love 2 RNH's, just not sure it would be best.

yes, still 10/10. I love Draisaitl and think he'll be a great 1/2 centre. But Reinhart is one of the smartest prospects in the last decade.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
To give my perspective as a Sabres fan I think I settled on Reinhart over Bennett maybe about halfway through the season but I'd never have been upset if we took Bennett. I don't know what's not to like about the kid. Reinhart's my guy but Bennett is electric and plays a style that's impossible not to be a fan of. I really like Draisaitl as well but it'll be some time before we get an idea of the finished product there. I think Bennett will more quickly be a factor offensively in the NHL due to his skating. Reinhart's defense looked good in his 9 games but he needs to add strength (thus improved skating) before he can really translate his game. He's also a player whose output is dependent on play as a unit. He can elevate the play of his linemates, creating space for the unit, but he doesn't create his own offense in a vacuum, unlike someone such as Bennett who can create his own space and shot.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Will always be interesting to compare Reinhart and Bennett. They are so drastically different, but so closely ranked and play the same position.

Bennett is so aggressive and tenacious, super quick, physical, and super skilled.

Reinhart is so cerebral, only 'average' speed, but knows where to go and how to find players all over the ice. I compare him to guys like Monahan really (not the best example, but just that 'smartness' on the ice that never requires speed).

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Reinhart is so smart on the ice, his IQ is off the charts. He may even become McEichel's winger to have Girgensons take the 2C spot because of how well Zemgus has developed.

Aug 3, 2010
I still think Reinhart is the safer bet to be a top-6 forward. Hes one of the most intelligent players I have ever seen personally. Reinhart would have been my preference but I was absolutely thrilled we were able to get Bennett.

Should be interesting to follow both of them going forward. Reinhart is probably a better fit in Buffalo as we already have a very cerebral center in Monahan.

Basically how I felt at the draft. I wanted one of the Sams - Reinhart preferably, but Bennett was a great pick too.

Like I've said, I think they have similar ceilings, but Reinhart is likelier to hit his - he's a bit smarter on the puck, a bit more responsible as a player, and just seems to be the more established player all around. Bennett is going to be the streakier of the two and the one to get in trouble with penalties and the like, but he'll become the kind of player every team wants for his motor alone. My only real concern with Bennett is that he might have a shorter career due to injury based on his player style.

Reinhart reminds me of H. Sedin.
Bennett is starting to remind me of a bigger Theoren Fleury. Probably not as good of a scorer, but that never-stop-engine, scoring ability, and physical play is not a common mold.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Really? I would take the 6'1 two way center Over the small offensive Dynamo 10/10 times.

I think a better comparison would be Gaudreau vs Marner

That likely would be a better comparison and I'd go with Johnny on that one.

But in regards to Bennett/Marner. I think Bennett was last clocked at 6'0? So presume he grows an inch and you get 6'1, then Marner could be a 5'11 dynamo.

As to ceilings? I think Marner's got 100 point potential. Bennett not so much, maybe PPG? PPG is rare enough as it is so I'm speaking of max potentials here.

It could be a Toews vs Kane situation, but in our case since we have Monahan already, I would take a Kane esque player :) Having all three would be pretty nice certainly and I'm not saying I don't like Bennett either :)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
For Calgary, I think Bennett will be the better compliment to Monahan than Reinhart. Both Reinhart and Monahan are more subtle and sublime with their style, including personality. Having two guys like that might be tough come playoffs, although it's not a bad problem to have if your two centers are that talented.

But the energy, speed and aggression Bennett brings will be a major boon for the Flames in a few years. Put him with Poirier, and you will have a really tenacious two-way line. They will take a lot of attention away from Monahan and Gaudreau, while a guy like Backlund can settle in with little pressure to a third line role, and join one of those tandems on the PP.

It's a nice mix of talent for the Flames.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

Fair question, but I think Reinhart is just too damn intelligent to pass up. He was the clear BPA and I would have chosen him over Draisaitl. I'll draft BPA, and sign big bodies during FA/via trade.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Like Zette and Dats. Not big guys but IQs will make up for it going against top lines

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
To give my perspective as a Sabres fan I think I settled on Reinhart over Bennett maybe about halfway through the season but I'd never have been upset if we took Bennett. I don't know what's not to like about the kid. Reinhart's my guy but Bennett is electric and plays a style that's impossible not to be a fan of. I really like Draisaitl as well but it'll be some time before we get an idea of the finished product there. I think Bennett will more quickly be a factor offensively in the NHL due to his skating. Reinhart's defense looked good in his 9 games but he needs to add strength (thus improved skating) before he can really translate his game. He's also a player whose output is dependent on play as a unit. He can elevate the play of his linemates, creating space for the unit, but he doesn't create his own offense in a vacuum, unlike someone such as Bennett who can create his own space and shot.

I have thought the same thing about Reinhart for quite awhile. He will be one of those centers who excel if paired with the correct linemates. I think Reinhart might not initially put up quite as many points as Bennett, but as Buffalo gets better I think we will see Reinhart explode (2-3 years down the road).

arsmaster*

I like Reinhart more, but from the brief look in preseason, I think Bennett might be more impactful (if his body holds up playing his style).

He looked ready to me for a pretty substantial NHL role this yer without that injury. I think the Flames could still attempt to cook him in the CHL again next year and it certainly wouldn't hurt him, but he looks ready.

Sucks to say this as a Nucks fan. Super jealous of your middle men for the future.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I was very mixed between the 3 I wanted the WHL guys a bit more mostly for little things like the Reinhart family playing together (outside Griffen) or the points lead Leon had over his linemates like Monahan had the year before.

But as soon as I saw the behind the scenes draft video where Bennett's grandparents greet him and say "Oh, and you went to the right team and everything!" I was sold that he's our guy and I wouldn't give him up for any other forward in his draft year.

Last edited:

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I just think Bennett provides the Flames with a different look. Makes the Flames harder to line-match against. You have Monahan who is very cerebral and clutch, and you have Bennett with his non-stop motor, speed and tenacity. Gives the coach options on which line to throw out depending on circumstances.

I was also pro-Reinhart at the draft. Now I just think that both teams drafted the best fitting prospect in their organization. Never thought of Draisaitl as a real option honestly. I think Bennett might end up being the higher point producer, but Reinhart is such a smart guy out there. You win with guys like Reinhart playing so well in today's 200ft game (not that Bennett is bad defensively - Reinhart was simply the best 2-way center in the draft).

A line of Gaudreau - Bennett - Poirier will offer loads of speed, and each player is capable of making plays with speed (something some players lack).

Then you have maybe Klimchuk/someone else - Monahan - Hudler. A bit slower out there for sure, but very difficult to contain.

Loads of 2-way centers in the system - Arnold, Jankowski, Shore, etc., and another possible top-6 center in Granlund who has made good impressions the last 2 seasons since coming over.

I would have loved another higher-end RW'er (or RHS center, other than Shore) to try and match with Monahan or Bennett (depending on where Poirier slots), but wingers are much easier to acquire than centers and defence.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I was very mixed between the 3 I wanted the WHL guys a bit more mostly for little things like the Reinhart family playing together (outside Griffen) or the points lead Leon had over his linemates like Monahan had the year before.

But as soon as I saw the behind the scenes draft video where Bennett's grandparents greet him and say "Oh, and you went to the right team and everything!" I was sold that he's our guy and I wouldn't give him up for any other forward in his draft year.

I remember that part! It gave me a huge smile on my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad