C Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2014, 4th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There was a lot of expectation that he had a good chance to make the Flames this season. Thus even if his development completely stalled, that expectation would still hold for next season.

If he stays healthy and Kingston has a solid playoff run and he has a full offseason to train I could see him forcing his way onto the big club. That said if he doesn't appear ready then send him back. Is he AHL eligible like Draisaitl will be next season or does he not make the cutoff because of his birthday?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'm pretty shocked at the amount of posters who think this kid for sure should play in the OHL all of next year. I know he's been injured but this kid dominated that league before he was drafted and was the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

I personally would be surprised if he didn't play at least half of an NHL season next year

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
If he stays healthy and Kingston has a solid playoff run and he has a full offseason to train I could see him forcing his way onto the big club. That said if he doesn't appear ready then send him back. Is he AHL eligible like Draisaitl will be next season or does he not make the cutoff because of his birthday?

Won't make the cutoff; it's either NHL or CHL for him next season.

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
I'm pretty shocked at the amount of posters who think this kid for sure should play in the OHL all of next year. I know he's been injured but this kid dominated that league before he was drafted and was the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

I personally would be surprised if he didn't play at least half of an NHL season next year

Actually, he was drafted 4th overall. Also, both Reinhart(2nd overall) and Draisaitl(3rd overall) dominated the WHL and look where they are right now. I believe he's NHL ready and next year he's jumping straight in the big league, but your arguments aren't really the best lol. A lot of players dominate juniors, but still aren't nhl ready.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
he doesn't come close to making the cutoff, Bennett doesn't even turn 19 until a week before the 2015 draft.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bennett should make his season debut Wednesday as per a Gilmour interview

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Won't make the cutoff; it's either NHL or CHL for him next season.

he doesn't come close to making the cutoff, Bennett doesn't even turn 19 until a week before the 2015 draft.

Thanks, that's too bad since he'd probably be better served at the AHL level than the CHL level next season if he isn't NHL ready. I'd guess that he starts the year in Calgary but if he doesn't force management to keep him he'll be sent down or loaned to the WJC's and then sent down. I wouldn't bet against him making the team next season.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Bennett will be the best player from 2014. The top 10 should have been:

Sam Bennett
Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisaitl
Ehlers
Virtanen
Dal Colle
Fleury
Sanheim
Fiala/Pastrnak/Nylander

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks, that's too bad since he'd probably be better served at the AHL level than the CHL level next season if he isn't NHL ready. I'd guess that he starts the year in Calgary but if he doesn't force management to keep him he'll be sent down or loaned to the WJC's and then sent down. I wouldn't bet against him making the team next season.
I guess we have differing philosophies on that, I firmly believe no player can be overdeveloped and I think dominating the OHL and playing in the WJC will be just as beneficial as being a good AHLer.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
:laugh::laugh: Anyone that says that Bennett isn't ready to play in the NHL next year hasn't seen him play. He didn't just forget how to play hockey. Bennett outplayed everyone on our roster in the preseason. Not only will he play next season but he will excel.

Edit: In fact, If Calgary is still playing when Kingston is eliminated he will play in the NHL this year.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Bennett will be the best player from 2014. The top 10 should have been:

Sam Bennett
Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisaitl
Ehlers
Virtanen
Dal Colle
Fleury
Sanheim
Fiala/Pastrnak/Nylander

He's got a long way to go to prove himself as a #1 over Ekblad.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
The fact that he is going back to Kinston for the playoffs or playoff push, no one wants to play Kingston in the first round.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The fact that he is going back to Kinston for the playoffs or playoff push, no one wants to play Kingston in the first round.
You think they could knock off the Colts in round 1 with the additions of Bennett and Watson? Because that is who they are slated to play in round one of the playoffs started today (and I noticed you were from Barrie)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
:laugh::laugh: Anyone that says that Bennett isn't ready to play in the NHL next year hasn't seen him play. He didn't just forget how to play hockey. Bennett outplayed everyone on our roster in the preseason. Not only will he play next season but he will excel.

Edit: In fact, If Calgary is still playing when Kingston is eliminated he will play in the NHL this year.

I think Bennett will be NHL ready too and he looked great in the 2 or 3 Flames preseason games I watched, but Mikhail Grigorenko and Chris Stewart were probably our two best forwards in the preseason. Grain of salt and all.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I guess we have differing philosophies on that, I firmly believe no player can be overdeveloped and I think dominating the OHL and playing in the WJC will be just as beneficial as being a good AHLer.

That depends, if they are in a league that isn't a challenge to them it can become troublesome IMO as they can develop bad habits. That can be almost as bad as putting them in a position where they are over their heads. That said the fact that he has missed much of this season it may not be an issue for him next season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You think they could knock off the Colts in round 1 with the additions of Bennett and Watson? Because that is who they are slated to play in round one of the playoffs started today (and I noticed you were from Barrie)

I don't think Kingston upsetting any of the top seeds is likely, but it's not impossible for two reasons:

1-Bennett's return gives them a dynamic player who can turn the tide of any game or series on his own. Kingston's generally involved in a lot of low scoring games, where they end up on the bad end of 2-1 or 3-2 scores. Having Bennett back would probably swing quite a few of those in Kingston's favor.

2-Lucas Peressini is performing like one of the best goalies in the league this year and can certainly steal games for Kingston. Kingston would probably the worst team other than Sudbury if it weren't for Peressini's heroics.

Those two reasons are why I think a lot of higher ranked teams would rather avoid playing Kingston in round 1. Ironically, Oshawa in general might want to avoid Kingston. Kingston's 5-1 against the Generals so far this season, and that's without Bennett in the lineup.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't think Kingston upsetting any of the top seeds is likely, but it's not impossible for two reasons:

1-Bennett's return gives them a dynamic player who can turn the tide of any game or series on his own. Kingston's generally involved in a lot of low scoring games, where they end up on the bad end of 2-1 or 3-2 scores. Having Bennett back would probably swing quite a few of those in Kingston's favor.

2-Lucas Peressini is performing like one of the best goalies in the league this year and can certainly steal games for Kingston. Kingston would probably the worst team other than Sudbury if it weren't for Peressini's heroics.

Those two reasons are why I think a lot of higher ranked teams would rather avoid playing Kingston in round 1. Ironically, Oshawa in general might want to avoid Kingston. Kingston's 5-1 against the Generals so far this season, and that's without Bennett in the lineup.

That's actually amazing, didn't realize that, considering Oshawa has only lost like 8 games in regulation this year (and only 13 total).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That's actually amazing, didn't realize that, considering Oshawa has only lost like 8 games in regulation this year (and only 13 total).

One or two of them were shootout wins. Without looking it up to confirm, I know at least one of those games was a shootout win.

But in any case, it is impressive (and shocking, when you think of the quality difference in both teams) that Kingston has that kind of record against the Gens. The only loss Kingston has to them is a 7-1 loss a couple of Fridays ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad