C Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2014, 4th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Hahn

Apr 23, 2002
Anyone else get the vibe that Bennett-Poirier/Gaudreau could be a little like Galchenyuk-Gallagher?

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Bennett was said to have put on 10 pounds while working out during his rehab from surgery.
I think he's going to end up at a healthy size / weight as he hits his early to mid 20s.

He was at 180 at the start of the year and has put on 15 since the surgery (10 of which was muscle), that puts him at 195. I don't see Bennett weighing more than 210 unless he grows a bit taller, so he's just about grown.

DayTripper

Jul 9, 2013
DPR of HF
BabyishUnequaledKitfox.gif

Haha.

Aug 3, 2010
It's been mentioned a lot but there were some rankings in pre-draft that had Bennett 1st overall. It's not an outlandish suggestion to believe Bennett's potential rivals that of Reinhart.

However, I like to think that they could be equals, but with different strengths. Bennett makes me think of a 3rd line energy player in a 1st-liner's ability range. He's the engine that just won't stop - hitting, scoring, skating. Reinhart is much more "mature", calm, cool, and collected. Won't be getting in nearly the same amount of scrums Bennett does. Natural leader, great hockey IQ.

They'll be excellent in what they do regardless of each other's ceilings. Not really comparable styles of play, IMO.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Also had him over Reinhart pre-draft.

I really liked him to. I think he has the ability to make things happen and control the game. I'm happy we got Reinhart but there's still a part of me that wanted Bennett.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
However, I like to think that they could be equals, but with different strengths. Bennett makes me think of a 3rd line energy player in a 1st-liner's ability range.

When I think of Flames greats, including the guy in my avatar and others such as Roberts, Gilmour, Iginla McDonald etc. this describes that classic Flame to a tee. (sorry for inducing eye rolls to fans of other teams)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think the GMH line is here to stay for a couple years.

Would be nice to see a top six of:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
?????? - Bennett - Poirier

in a couple seasons.

I expect Hudler to be on the Bennett line next year just to help bring him in, unless the Monahan line really struggles.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Shore*
Hudler-Bennett-Poirier
Bouma-Backlund-Jooris
Byron-Colborne-Jones
Stajan/Wolf (Preferably Wolf by a hair)
Raymond/Ferland (Preferably Ferland by far)
Bollig/thin air (preferably thin air by far)

Can someone say Logjam? :laugh: At least Jones is likely to be moved at the trade deadline. Poirier might be kept in Stockton until then.

*I know Shore's not a first liner, but his size and skillset could be a great match for the line. Also gives Johnny and Monny a righty to snipe their brilliant passes.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
Marner vs. Bennett

Who would you prefer?

Bennett and it's not even close. Bennett can hold his own anywhere on the ice in almost any situation (OHL at least). Marner, not so much.

(Full disclosure: Fronts fan, saw them play on Sunday and Marner was unimpressive)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
As a flames fan, Marner. Imo he could jockey for the #3 position with Strome/Hanafin.

Really? I would take the 6'1 two way center Over the small offensive Dynamo 10/10 times.

I think a better comparison would be Gaudreau vs Marner

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
really excited to see him in Calgary next year. Man, the Flames are going to be a very good team for years to come.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
So happy he dropped 3 spots to us.

How did he drop? It was pretty obvious one of Draisaitl or Bennett were going to be there at #4.

He is an excellent prospect, he was my favourite prospect in the entire draft (although I didn't think he was BPA) and will do well in CGY.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I expect Hudler to be on the Bennett line next year just to help bring him in, unless the Monahan line really struggles.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Shore*
Hudler-Bennett-Poirier
Bouma-Backlund-Jooris
Byron-Colborne-Jones
Stajan/Wolf (Preferably Wolf by a hair)
Raymond/Ferland (Preferably Ferland by far)
Bollig/thin air (preferably thin air by far)

Can someone say Logjam? :laugh: At least Jones is likely to be moved at the trade deadline. Poirier might be kept in Stockton until then.

*I know Shore's not a first liner, but his size and skillset could be a great match for the line. Also gives Johnny and Monny a righty to snipe their brilliant passes.

I really cannot see a situation where Shore ends up as a regular on that line. Anything is possible I suppose but Shore is likely going to be used in a bottom-6 role and have to put in his time just like we have seen with guys like Jooris, Granlund ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille