C Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2014, 4th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
One of the Fronts 1st round picks from the '12 priority draft.

9th in rookie scoring in the O this year - 60 games, 18g, 22a, 40pts.

Previous teammate of McDavid - both with YSE and the Marlies.

Played at IIHF U18 this year (I was a bit surprised - i thought they'd toss HoSang a bone over him)

Don't see him being competitive at all for a WJC spot.

Next year will be interesting to watch re how he develops - right now i'm guessing solid first round around late teens or later ... but i think he's someone who can move up with a great year.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
This guy is great, very underrated player. I could see him being a big riser for the draft over the next year

H44

Aug 31, 2011
Username was taken:
Played at IIHF U18 this year (I was a bit surprised - i thought they'd toss HoSang a bone over him)

He had a solid rookie season with Kingston, and played very well at the U18's.
He has several more years of development ahead of him before he should be written off for the WJC's.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Username was taken:

He had a solid rookie season with Kingston, and played very well at the U18's.
He has several more years of development ahead of him before he should be written off for the WJC's.

sorry, i meant next year (as an underage draft-eligible player).

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
just wanted to bump the thread b/c it sounds like he's looked good at hlinka camp (and i think he was also good at iihf u18, no?).

pharling

Mar 26, 2012
Kingston, ON
I live in Kingston and watch Bennett play a lot. His line with Henri Ikonen who was just drafted by TB and Spencer Watson who is also a OHL rookie was dominant at times last season. They were the number one line for the Fronts and all three have very bright futures in my opinion. Keep your eye on the Fronts who may be next years Halifax dominating the entry draft.

arsmaster*

Only watched the highlights, but sick, sick goal last night in the season opener for Sam Bennett. Its on the OHL site in the game highlights.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Only watched the highlights, but sick, sick goal last night in the season opener for Sam Bennett. Its on the OHL site in the game highlights.

That goal was basically a microcosm of his game last night. He was putting on a stickhandling display all night, that one play just happened to result in a goal.

If there was ever a game where evidence that +/- is a useless stat, last night was it. Bennett was a -4 on the evening, despite the fact he was dominant almost every shift he was on the ice, and at both ends of the rink as well.

He wears #93, just like his GM used to, and the way he's playing, he sort of resembles him as well.

Oh, and to the OP, Bennett plays center.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Great to see him so high on Bob's list. Love this kid's game and he doesn't get enough hype.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Another strong game for Bennett tonight. It didn't really translate on the scoresheet (he only had one assist), but he made an impact all over the rink tonight.

I think he's got an extra gear in his skating this season compared to last. He's beating defensemen wide on a regular basis this year. One thing I like about him is he seems to constantly be in motion. Even when he's not necessarily churning his legs, he's gliding so that he's never having to start from a standing position.

And his stickhandling looks even better. He's making defensemen look foolish on a regular basis with his puck control.

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
Another strong game for Bennett tonight. It didn't really translate on the scoresheet (he only had one assist), but he made an impact all over the rink tonight.

I think he's got an extra gear in his skating this season compared to last. He's beating defensemen wide on a regular basis this year. One thing I like about him is he seems to constantly be in motion. Even when he's not necessarily churning his legs, he's gliding so that he's never having to start from a standing position.

And his stickhandling looks even better. He's making defensemen look foolish on a regular basis with his puck control.

Agreed. IMO he was the best player on the ice for both teams. He was throwing the body around a bit throughout the game as well.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Bennett is excellent at shielding the puck when he goes wide. He uses every inch of his reach. This kid is a gamer. The more pressure the more important the game, the bigger he plays. Bennett is gritty, tough and competitive, with his mindset 15-20 pounds will make him a nightmare to deal with. Under-rated sniper, can playmake when its there, loves to bang in the corners, agitate the opponent, battle like crazy for the puck, great hockey sense.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
So far this kid has 10 pts (5g 5a) in 6 games. 6'0" 181 lbs. Looks like he could be a mid 1st round pick this year.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Bennett is excellent at shielding the puck when he goes wide. He uses every inch of his reach. This kid is a gamer. The more pressure the more important the game, the bigger he plays. Bennett is gritty, tough and competitive, with his mindset 15-20 pounds will make him a nightmare to deal with. Under-rated sniper, can playmake when its there, loves to bang in the corners, agitate the opponent, battle like crazy for the puck, great hockey sense.

Yep, I've watched all his home games this year and have to agree on all points. He's also making great plays in his own end and used extensively on the penalty kill. He's been the best player on the ice every game I've seen so far. No way he doesn't go in the top 10, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if by the end of the year he climbs into the top 3-5.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I wish the Canucks could get him but you never know with the draft and players falling. Anyone want Lack I heard he is growing into a Schneider :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad