C Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2014, 4th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
The best player in the League is 5'11", 200lbs. It's not even really about your height and weight, it's your ability and willingness to use it.

It's not a Bennet vs Edmonton thread. Calgary fans obviously like the player they drafted. Edmonton drafted Draisaitl ahead of him because they liked him more. Give it two or three years before bothering to compare their impact because let's face it, neither haven't made any.

My original post was in response to someone saying they can't believe edmonton passed on Bennett. I then stated that if the Oilers had taken bennett, the same people on these boards would be laughing that we took "another small skilled injury prone forward". It had nothing to do with who's better, who will be better, or who fits better. Just a statement on the view of the prospect based solely on the team that drafted him.

Hence the discussion.

Aug 21, 2014
Notice how it's only Edmonton fans saying it? I guess they feel like they need to defend MacT's choice of taking Draisaitl, who I believe was ranked lower in virtually every ranking (I cant think of any where he wasnt). And since you cant criticize Bennett for skating, skill, work ethic, defensive play, etc. Theyre saying its because of size, despite him being average sized, not small.

Given MacT/Lowe's track record, I dont know why anyone would jump to defend any decision by them and assume it was the correct one.

Bennett: 3rd (TSN), 1st (SN), 3rd (THW), 1st (THN), 1st (Hockey Prospect), 4th (ISS), 2nd (McKeen), 1st (CS), etc

Draisaitl: 4th (TSN), 4th (SN), 6th (THW), 4th (THN), 6th (Hockey Prospect), 6th (ISS), 4th (McKeen), 4th (CS), etc

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

Bennett's 8 months younger about an inch shorter and about 20lbs lighter than Draisaitl. He might be lighter but play's MUCH more physical. I salivate when I think when he's filled out.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Bennett's 8 months younger about an inch shorter and about 20lbs lighter than Draisaitl. He might be lighter but play's MUCH more physical. I salivate when I think when he's filled out.

And he doesnt have flaws to his game.

People questioned the Yakupov pick, because Edmonton needed a defenceman or a two-way forward, not a one-dimensional scoring winger, of which they already had two. Not to mention the floor for a one-dimensional player is lower than a two-way guy if he doesnt reach his potential, so it is a riskier pick to begin with, aside from also not meeting team needs.

Throwing Bennett in with that just by saying he was more of the same due to "size" is being disingenuous IMO. Bennetts reputation was as a guy with the upside to be an elite two-way centre. How would that not fill a major need for Edmonton? Because he wasnt 6'2+?

Anyways, Draisaitl is a solid prospect. But if size was the primary reason they passed on Bennett, than it was a poor decision IMO. I hope they thought he was the better overall prospect, even though that would go against literally every ranking that Ive seen.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2014
And he doesnt have flaws to his game.

People questioned the Yakupov pick, because Edmonton needed a defenceman or a two-way forward, not a one-dimensional scoring winger, of which they already had two.

Throwing Bennett in with that just by saying he was more of the same due to "size" is being disingenuous IMO. Bennetts reputation was as a guy with the upside to be an elite two-way centre. How would that not fill a major need for Edmonton? Because he wasnt 6'2+?

Anyways, Draisaitl is a solid prospect. But if size was the primary reason they passed on Bennett, than it was a poor decision IMO. I hope they thought he was the better overall prospect, even though that would go against literally every ranking that Ive seen.

The only thing I can think of is, that they where hoping Leon Draisaitl would be "their" Sean Monahan. Similar size. Similar Intangibles. Just wasn't NHL ready this year..

stardefender*

Bennett is a special breed of player. High skill level that he uses at top speed, huge desire and determination to never give up on the play and to win, and gritty as sand paper.

No one can say for sure until years from now, but I think Edmonton is going to look back at passing over this guy as one of the bigger mistakes they made in a long, long list of blunders under this inept management regime. Hopefully that group will be gone by then, but it wouldn't shock me if they're not. :sarcasm:

stardefender*

Another Goal and Assist for Bennett tonight.

Would like to see a:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Porrier

line for Calgary some day. Would be deadly.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bennett's been throwing the body around, too. Good to see he's feeling no ill effects from the shoulder injury, and it isn't affecting him psychologically (ie. he's not tentative about playing physical).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's looked pretty dominant in the games I've seen. I was in favor of him spending at least one more year in junior, but if this is the level he's at now, and if he continues to put on bulk/strength over the summer, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make Calgary out of camp in the fall.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Bennett is a special breed of player. High skill level that he uses at top speed, huge desire and determination to never give up on the play and to win, and gritty as sand paper.

No one can say for sure until years from now, but I think Edmonton is going to look back at passing over this guy as one of the bigger mistakes they made in a long, long list of blunders under this inept management regime. Hopefully that group will be gone by then, but it wouldn't shock me if they're not. :sarcasm:

Been going over some old footage watching Bennett play lately and I gotta say he has really grown on me. Like him a lot more now than I did pre-draft. With that being said, Draisaitl was really the only option for the Oilers and I'm more than happy with the pick, even if Bennett turns out to be a really good player. Draisaitl just have everything you want in a centre in the west. He's big, has amazing vision, great puck protection and an underrated shot. The only thing is his skating but seeing his work ethic I'm sure it will be a non-factor a few years down the road. If developed properly I think he could be a really good C, perhaps a 1C, who you want to throw out there in critical moments. I wouldn't be surprised if he'll be one of the best possession players in the league once he has established himself, if the Oilers don't manage to botch his development first that is. I can see him being deployed and putting up the same kind of numbers as David Backes.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Tons of players play great in junior and never amount to anything in the NHL. I'll just wait and see as both Drasatl and Bennett are putting up points.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Speaking as a neutral Nuck fan I must say I saw more from Bennett in the two preseason games against us than I did from many more games watching Draisaitl. Our announcers were equally impressed and the Bure comparison was made.

Even before the draft I had Bennett at #1, shade ahead of Reinhart, but was resigned to us going with the homeboy when Benning was trying to move heaven & earth to get that 1st overall and it looked for a while that he was going to succeed. Something about Bennett just screams NHL transferability over and above the usual top 5 picks in most years. The speed and dogged puck persistence is a lot like Kesler in him prime, only this guy has better hands and offensive acumen.

Nothing set in stone, of course, but I think passing up on Bennett merely for 25lbs of extra beef will prove to be another in a long line of botched Oiler management moves. Their fanbase has my sympathies. "Nuking it from orbit" doesn't begin to cover it. That said, Flame fans may want to ease up on the uppity factor. Everybody, and I mean everybody from GMs to half-way knowledgeable fans alike, makes the Bennett and Monahan picks when gifted the opportunity in those slots. Pair of no brainers as any in recent draft history.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton is bound to get lucky eventually. I am not sure what hockey god they pissed off by trading Gretzky, but he is vengeful.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Edmonton is bound to get lucky eventually. I am not sure what hockey god they pissed off by trading Gretzky, but he is vengeful.

Winning the lottery and getting McJesus. They couldn't possibility destroy McJesus right?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The best player in the League is 5'11", 200lbs. It's not even really about your height and weight, it's your ability and willingness to use it.

It's not a Bennet vs Edmonton thread. Calgary fans obviously like the player they drafted. Edmonton drafted Draisaitl ahead of him because they liked him more. Give it two or three years before bothering to compare their impact because let's face it, neither haven't made any.

While I agree with your point, Crosby is a pretty bad example. Crosby has size, just not height. His leg strength is phenomenal. He's strongly built, like a shorter Jagr. Height is less important than weight/strength. Bennett is very unlikely to be similarly built. That said, you can look at the list of top players and see there are many who are more along the lines of the body type Bennett could have. Stamkos is an obvious one to me.

stardefender*

Bennett was said to have put on 10 pounds while working out during his rehab from surgery.
I think he's going to end up at a healthy size / weight as he hits his early to mid 20s.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Bennett was said to have put on 10 pounds while working out during his rehab from surgery.
I think he's going to end up at a healthy size / weight as he hits his early to mid 20s.

Ya, if you can find anything positive about the surgery it is that he is more likely a little ahead of schedule for his size since he had quite a few months of training in gym instead of on ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad