C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
ok enough salt and pepper, im back to discuss real things.

Why was it that everyone overlooked Pettersson so much at the draft? He was ranked around 8-13 on most lists. But looking at his Draft year numbers, he put up ridiculous numbers in the Allsvensken, a men's league, as a 17/18 year old. Like, higher numbers than Filip Forsberg in his draft year (WAY higher) AND draft +1 year.

Additionally: It's insane how Pettersson put up PPG in the Allsvensken in his draft year and somehow is exceeding that in his draft+1 year in a tougher league in the SHL. What kind of development went over in the summer? I remember earlier a few months ago when Pettersson had 0G3A in 7GP and Canucks fans were freaking out.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
ok enough salt and pepper, im back to discuss real things.

Why was it that everyone overlooked Pettersson so much at the draft? He was ranked around 8-13 on most lists. But looking at his Draft year numbers, he put up ridiculous numbers in the Allsvensken, a men's league, as a 17/18 year old. Like, higher numbers than Filip Forsberg in his draft year (WAY higher) AND draft +1 year.

Additionally: It's insane how Pettersson put up PPG in the Allsvensken in his draft year and somehow is exceeding that in his draft+1 year in a tougher league in the SHL. What kind of development went over in the summer? I remember earlier a few months ago when Pettersson had 0G3A in 7GP and Canucks fans were freaking out.

The knock on him was his weight. That has been something a lot of people have been upfront about from the very beginning. Nobody has been trying to put down his skill level or hockey IQ, matter of fact some experts/scouts/posters were saying it was among the very best of the entire draft class, if not the best.

He is a very skinny dude and weight + skill will always seem more appealing to hockey people.

I can be honest now and say I had Glass above him in my rankings and boy do I feel silly now.

We should however be a little more reserved when it comes to our expectations of Elias. He's got quite a bit of work ahead of him despite of his ridiculous season so far. It's super exciting for both a Canuck fan and a Swede to watch such a talented forward emerge. Sweden has been pumping out world class defensemen for years now and we could sure use a center that can dominate. Elias could be that guy.

I had him 6th on my list just behind Glass. Glad Benning and co. know better than what I do (not a knock on glass)

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I think the reason he fell is because offense in the swedish leagues is not directly transferable, as we've seen on several different occasions (I think the most notable would be Runblad). He looks to be very good right now, but I would approach with careful optimism until he enters the league. We all know WJC means absolutely nothing.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
I think the reason he fell is because offense in the swedish leagues is not directly transferable, as we've seen on several different occasions (I think the most notable would be Runblad). He looks to be very good right now, but I would approach with careful optimism until he enters the league. We all know WJC means absolutely nothing.
There's a reason people can only think of Rundblad.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'm actually rather curious about this tournament. He has not had that much success at the u20 level in the past, so it'll be interesting to see if he's able to perform and truly carry his team now that his scoring should land him as easily one of the best players of the tournament. Because he really should dominate and if he doesn't, it really would make one think, wouldn't it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca