C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
At the beginning of the year, no one knew he was going to be the best player in SHL history

Yeah, based on how he's performing in the SHL, he obviously could have produced in the NHL. But the reason he's not in the NHL is that he doesn't really have an NHL body at this point (tall but skinny).

It probably is for the best - I think RNH would have been better not to play in the NHL immediately even though he was good enough to produce.

member 105785

If he was as good as Nucks fans are saying, he would be able to play in the NHL this year...

He signed a contract to play in the SHL before training camp started

No the reason is that canucks arent rushing him

Regardless, he did sign a contract before training camp, we were aware that he wouldn't be playing in the NHL this year

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Pettersson has 35 points in 25 games and thinks the game like a genius, there's no doubt in my mind that he could manage what Hischier is doing, and perhaps more, if he played with Hall and Bratt.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Lol you guys... I didn't say Pettersson is gonna be as good as Crosby. I said his potential is that if he reaches it.

How does Peter Forsberg compare to Crosby? Well Petterson is tracking to be better than Forsberg at the same point in their careers. So the potential is there.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You're putting too much emphasis on Pettersson's stats.

I remember thinking Rundblad was going to light the NHL on fire after his near PPG season in the SHL as a D back in 2011/12. That kind of production was completely unprecedented at the time. Rundnlad ended up winning the SHL version of the Norris trophy, and then the next season he couldn't stick in the NHL, and he ended up busting completely.

Not saying Pettersson is going to be a bust like Rundblad, I'm just saying treat SHL stats with caution. He is trending very well for sure, but its far too early for Forsberg/Crosby/superstar comparisons.

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
In all the chatter and highlights, some of the nice little moments for me were the shots of his parents in the stands at the draft (but not the part where Benning looks and acknowledges the parents and the player in the stands, tipping his hand, and potentially losing out on a mid-round pick in exchange for dropping a spot).

Elias' folks look like they take care of themselves. Dad maybe weighs 190 or so. I think Elias Petterson will fill out and have a fine NHL career. I am hopeful for a Nicklas Backstrom level career for him, which means he would one of he best players to suit up for the Canucks, ever.

There's so many things that can derail a promising career, but I give Benning credit for making a brave pick at 5. For me, no player from the 2017 draft, since the draft, has done more to put a stamp on their future than Elias, including those currently in the NHL.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Fair enough but it makes me cringe when people reference the greatest players to ever play before EP has even made an NHL roster.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Not saying Pettersson is going to be a bust like Rundblad, I'm just saying treat SHL stats with caution. He is trending very well for sure, but its far too early for Forsberg/Crosby/superstar comparisons.

Rundblad is an exception to the rule as far as SHL stats go, just like Yakupov is one to the OHL. If a teenager dominates the SHL or the OHL, they should be expected to become a star.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
the guy is putting up historical numbers, he's going to be on an NHL roster next season.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Yeah, and nucks fan think he's better than Forsberg....
i would not say all canuck fans think he is better then Forsberg.
He has the potential to be a great player for this team.We have had some very tough drafts and have not really had a superstar since Bure.Pettersson is looking really really like he could be the next big thing for this team.Cant blame canucks fans for being excited.The kid needs to fill out more and myself i would not rush him.But wow..exciting times for Canucks with Pettersson.Brock.Demko.Gaudette..all upcomming...

Reactions: sting101

member 105785

Yeah, and nucks fan think he's better than Forsberg....

People realize he's not better than Forsberg, what people are saying is he's having as dominant a season as Forsberg's SHL seasons. Forsberg in 92-93 (his D+2) scored 47 points in 39 games for 1.27PPG. So far Pettersson (in his D+1) is at 35 points in 25 games, at a scoring rate of 1.4PPG.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
You're putting too much emphasis on Pettersson's stats.

I remember thinking Rundblad was going to light the NHL on fire after his near PPG season in the SHL as a D back in 2011/12. That kind of production was completely unprecedented at the time. Rundnlad ended up winning the SHL version of the Norris trophy, and then the next season he couldn't stick in the NHL, and he ended up busting completely.

I know you were quite upset months back before this thread got absurd with my own fans and opposing teams fans about canucks fans typical overhype of a player (and again we unfortunately have a few fans that run to the main board and get carried away but back then the hype was much more modest) some do it i think to get other people going as a troll. And as I recall you had pages of rebuttal regarding your dislike for our fans and hype they put on players (and i dont blame you).

However you have to admit the numbers he is putting up at 18-19 are historically impressive given where your stance was months ago and the comparables with other 18-19 year olds in the shl.... you found one player 7 years ago at age 20 in a d+2 season who was on defense and its a decent example but you could do that with any league, find one or two players who were an anomaly and now somehow treat shl stats entirely with caution which is not fair either, to many good and great nhl players have put up much worse numbers then elias as at this age in the shl and have excellent nhl careers. The shl is far to difficult of league for someone at age 18-19 to just treat shl stats with caution, or seasons like elias would be more common and he wouldnt be chasing point per game pace records which have stood for 25 years. With that said, some of it has gotten carried away.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarbyHendrickson

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Lol you guys... I didn't say Pettersson is gonna be as good as Crosby. I said his potential is that if he reaches it.

How does Peter Forsberg compare to Crosby? Well Petterson is tracking to be better than Forsberg at the same point in their careers. So the potential is there.

Forsberg had a ridiculous development between 17-20.

Pettersson will probably top out around Backstrom's level, which is still a top-5 center in the world for the best part of a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad