C Bo Horvat (2013, 9th overall, Vancouver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Can't wait to see him live at the Memorial Cup. Been one of my favorite prospects for quite some time.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bump. Expecting big things tonight from him in the Memorial Cup kickoff game.

StringerBell

I still think Monahan has the higher offensive upside but Bo is a legit top 10 pick.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I prefer Bo than Monahan for real. You know you need s guy like Bo in your lineup when kt matters. Never liked Monahan's vision at all...

I like all the love Horvat's getting but to start talking about him at 5 is absurd. I've been one of his biggest fans and supporters since his Elgin Middlesex days watched him progress for most of his career. Probably has some of the most underrated hands in the draft. But the "shiny new toy affect" with his level of at all time high right now is starting to get crazy. I've had him ranked at 13 all year, and can see him getting picked in the bottom of the top 10, but there's no way he goes above Monahan in my opinion. Would be criminal.

Other than skating which can be improved I find Monahan the much surprior player. I still think he'll be better in the long run than Drouin. He's become very underrated this year for multiple reasons (no WJC, suspension, terrible team, no real line mates at all).

I'm not disregarding Horvat's natural skill like I said I'm a huge fan of his, but I only see him maxing out as a 2nd liner, with Monahan a 1st liner.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Right now I'd peg Horvat to go as high as 7th, or as low as 10th. My gut feeling is NJ will take him at 9, but Edm could scoop him at 7 if the other top centers are gone...

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Right now I'd peg Horvat to go as high as 7th, or as low as 10th. My gut feeling is NJ will take him at 9, but Edm could scoop him at 7 if the other top centers are gone...

7th seems REALLY high, especially for a forward who's only flashed high-end offense in small samples. I sincerely hope the Devils take a better forward at 9. Someone that's actually been a top productive forward for more than 20-game stretch would be much more welcome in the system than another two-way guy.

Fearless Leaf*

I have always rooted for Bo and am a huge fan of his and he can certainly go around top 10 but there is no way he is a better prospect than Monahan right now and shouldn't go before him right now.

Monahan is heavily becoming very underrated around here now because his stats weren't great for a top 5-7 pick and most people that watched him quite a few times know that it is because of him playing on a weak team like 67's.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I have always rooted for Bo and am a huge fan of his and he can certainly go around top 10 but there is no way he is a better prospect than Monahan right now and shouldn't go before him right now.

Monahan is heavily becoming very underrated around here now because his stats weren't great for a top 5-7 pick and most people that watched him quite a few times know that it is because of him playing on a weak team like 67's.

Yupp. Mony's more likely to be a top 5 pick then Horvat.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
I mentioned this on one of the other Bo Horvat threads when it was getting into the whole Horvat > Monahan statements.

Imagine if Monahan played this season with the London Knights what we'd be saying about him and where his general opinion would be. He didn't have much for linemates in Ottawa this season and played on the worst team in the OHL. Horvat has had every chance to succeed on the best team in the OHL. I really like both players, but I wouldn't take Horvat over Monahan

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
If Buffalo picks Horvat with someone like Monahan or Lindholm still on the table, then I as a Devils fan will not be disappointed. :nod:

He's an extremely hard worker and one of the more complete players in the draft, but why he's getting ranked like a top-tier offensive guy? Especially over someone like Monhahan who put 78 points in just 58 games on an absolutely awful team?

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
If Buffalo picks Horvat with someone like Monahan or Lindholm still on the table, then I as a Devils fan will not be disappointed. :nod:

He's an extremely hard worker and one of the more complete players in the draft, but why he's getting ranked like a top-tier offensive guy? Especially over someone like Monhahan who put 78 points in just 58 games on an absolutely awful team?

Who said he is a top tier offensive guy? To put up points similar to O'Reilly/Patrice Bergeron/David Backes is fine if you are taking him in between 5-10, absolutely worth that for the other stuff he brings. Haven't really heard many people, if at all, say he has 70+ point potential - probably between 55-70 most years while playing an extremely complete game.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Who said he is a top tier offensive guy? To put up points similar to O'Reilly/Patrice Bergeron/David Backes is fine if you are taking him in between 5-10, absolutely worth that for the other stuff he brings. Haven't really heard many people, if at all, say he has 70+ point potential - probably between 55-70 most years while playing an extremely complete game.

I'm just saying I would take the guys who compare to Backstrom and Toews before the guy who compares to O'Reilly and Backes.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I'm just saying I would take the guys who compare to Backstrom and Toews before the guy who compares to O'Reilly and Backes.

I was only addressing the question of "why he's getting ranked like a top-tier offensive guy?"

Not like Lindholm is a sure thing, could just be a difference of opinion with scouts. If you think Horvat can be like Bergeron putting up 60 or so points a year but being all over the ice, maybe some value that more than Backstrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad