C Bo Horvat (2013, 9th overall, Vancouver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Except the fact that Tie was a scrapper and needed to have much more muscle. Totally different style of player here.

Different styles, same body.

Are you suggesting Max Domi won't put on any more weight? I can't think of many players who don't put on at least 10 pounds of muscle between their draft years and NHL primes. That's my point here.

Either way, the main point is his body type is substantially different than Pedan's, and as such, some scouts are probably a little more comfortable with Domi as a 1st rounder. Whether that is fair or not is up for debate.

And not that it matters, but Tie Domi didn't win fights by being bigger than the other guy, anyways.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Different styles, same body.

Are you suggesting Max Domi won't put on any more weight? I can't think of many players who don't put on at least 10 pounds of muscle between their draft years and NHL primes. That's my point here.

Either way, the main point is his body type is substantially different than Pedan's, and as such, some scouts are probably a little more comfortable with Domi as a 1st rounder. Whether that is fair or not is up for debate.

And not that it matters, but Tie Domi didn't win fights by being bigger than the other guy, anyways.

- No, I'm not suggesting he won't put on more weight...where did I come close to saying that? As I posted above, I said I highly doubt that he plays effectively at 210 or more pounds. That's extremely heavy for someone 5'10 or maybe even 5'11. I know junior players now that 6'1 or bigger and are trying to transition to eventually jump to the pros at around 215 pounds...and that transition isn't going well considering they are too heavy. I really don't see Domi succeeding as an offensive player at 5'10 and 210.

- My point about comparing Max and Tie is that the two are different styles of players and that Tie would have to have been heavier because he was needing to have more muscle to fight guys much bigger/stronger than he was. Yeah, he didn't win fights by being stronger than guys, but I can guarantee that he would have needed much more muscle in his role than Max will need in his potential NHL role. Max is an offensive player and will need to be lighter in order to be effective in that type of role.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Tie was more top heavy. Much stronger upper body especially for fighting guys. With Max it's more strength in his core and lower body as he is a very shifty and speedy type of player. Max is 5'9 right now, may possibly grow another inch and a bit.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
People have this misconception that Horvat will be available around 15-25 range. There is serious talks of him possibly being selected as high as the 7-10 range. Teams love his competitiveness and leadership qualities. He has some serious potential. There are always surprises draft day, we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
People have this misconception that Horvat will be available around 15-25 range. There is serious talks of him possibly being selected as high as the 7-10 range. Teams love his competitiveness and leadership qualities. He has some serious potential. There are always surprises draft day, we will just have to wait and see.

Exactly. I am just remembering Schiefele who most had pegged in the 20-25 range. Teams love guys who have that pro level of commitment and competiveness with a great attitude.

Henderson19

Jul 6, 2007

Maybe yes, maybe no. At least 6-8 mocks have him around 20, give or take a couple of spots. I've yet to see one that puts him in the top 10. Not that anyone really 'knows', just that 7-10 seems optimistic.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Maybe yes, maybe no. At least 6-8 mocks have him around 20, give or take a couple of spots. I've yet to see one that puts him in the top 10. Not that anyone really 'knows', just that 7-10 seems optimistic.

Yeah it's understandable but no mocks had Jankowski going in the first round last year or Koekkoek going top 10. ISS has Horvat at 10, and NACS has him at 8. To put it short all I'm saying is that anything is possible.

I was reading a blog recently, and someone asked where Horvat would be drafted. An individual commented saying he's ranked around 24-28 but is nothing but a 2nd round talent. ---> I'm not even related to the kid in anyway and I couldn't believe what I was reading... lol. People like these don't even watch the players and use rankings to make up complete BS.

Henderson19

Jul 6, 2007
Yeah it's understandable but no mocks had Jankowski going in the first round last year or Koekkoek going top 10. ISS has Horvat at 10, and NACS has him at 8. To put it short all I'm saying is that anything is possible.

I was reading a blog recently, and someone asked where Horvat would be drafted. An individual commented saying he's ranked around 24-28 but is nothing but a 2nd round talent. ---> I'm not even related to the kid in anyway and I couldn't believe what I was reading... lol. People like these don't even watch the players and use rankings to make up complete BS.

Fair enough, although I might note the NACS ranking hasn't been updated since early January, at least to my knowledge. But you're right. After the first few picks, no one really 'knows' where a player might go. All it takes is one NHL GM to see something they really like in a kid.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks horvatis a legit top 5 to 10 pick in this years draft? Have yet to see any mock with him even in top 15 to 20 for the most part. Kid is legit and easily the best all around player in this years draft.

I agree he's one of the best 2way players.. very complete... The highend offensive upside is what keeps him lower in the rankings..

I dont think it's to much of a stretch @ 11 - 15 range, but top 5 - 9 is crazy with the likes of Mac, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, etc.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I like Bo's game. I've seen a lot of him. He just doesn't have the offensive upside to go that high in the draft. He's a well-rounded player. He's a powerful skater, and a strong kid.. but I just can't see him topping out as anything more than a 2nd line centre. A Joe Pavelski-type player (if everything goes well). A guy you want on your team for sure, but the top-10's a bit of a stretch and the top-5 ever more so, IMO.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
Looks like he scored 2 short handed goals tonight on the same penalty.

Yes he did. Kid is an animal.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if he went right around the 10-15 mark. Kid is such a complete player already and has VERY underrated hands. So good at finishing plays around the net, I really think his offence is going to translate to the next level

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I saw him in a handful of games last season and saw a future fourth line NHL player. I saw him a few times very early in this season, and saw a future fourth line NHLer. Apparently he really turned it on half way through this season and has turned himself into a real prospect. Unfortunately I haven't been able to see it and am left with a terrible bias as a result. Hopefully the Knights make a run and I get to see this new Horvat that can play.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I like Bo's game. I've seen a lot of him. He just doesn't have the offensive upside to go that high in the draft. He's a well-rounded player. He's a powerful skater, and a strong kid.. but I just can't see him topping out as anything more than a 2nd line centre. A Joe Pavelski-type player (if everything goes well). A guy you want on your team for sure, but the top-10's a bit of a stretch and the top-5 ever more so, IMO.

I like the Pavelski comparison. Ryan O'Reilly's another good comp. Whoever takes Horvat is going to be very, very happy. I think the Sharks take a serious look at him, even though I'd rather go for someone with more upside, because he's got every trait they value.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
He gets under appreciated because he's not a flashy player. If you get a chance to watch him, just follow him for a shift. He always knows exactly where he needs to be. He has a great shot. He battles hard and plays a two-way game. I've really liked him since Minor Midget with Elgin-Middlesex. He just needs to get faster, which will come.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I love this kid's game. But in this draft I think the focus is going to be getting a top line center, a top 2 dman or perhaps that big talented power forward like Nichuskin.

For me Horvat and Lazar are similar types of players. Neither right now looks to have enough offense in their games to be top end first line centers but both guys are players that could be major contributors on top end teams.

As an Oiler fan I'd love to have either on my team. Like dnicks, I'd have no issue with my team taking him around #10.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
This series against Plymouth may push Horvat higher in the eyes of many scouts. IMO he's the most complete player in the draft. I don't think if London doesn't have Horvat that this series is 3-1 London.

People questioning his hands need to go thru the hilites especially in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad