C Bo Horvat (2013, 9th overall, Vancouver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Was really happy to see Horvat make Hlinka.

I'm really hoping he gets more meaningful time and opportunities with the Knights this year. I think he has a ton of potential and is a little bit overlooked with Domi as his teammate (same draft year).

I really like what i've seen from Horvat - and he also has good size already as a 17 yr old (which seems to a bit of a rarity these days with 1st round picks).

Fingers crossed he has a great year. At this point, he has an excellent shot at being first round.

Last edited:

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Dat work ethic.

As a London fan, I cant decide what I want more: Bo to be a top-six forward so he can dazzle us with his offensive numbers, or for him to be back on the 4th line so him and Tierney and Anderson can forecheck the **** out of every other team

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Dat work ethic.

As a London fan, I cant decide what I want more: Bo to be a top-six forward so he can dazzle us with his offensive numbers, or for him to be back on the 4th line so him and Tierney and Anderson can forecheck the **** out of every other team

I'm a London fan, too - but in fairness to Horvat it's his draft year so let's let him use the next season to dazzle everyone as a top-six forward :handclap:

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
It all depends on who comes back as an overager and who actually plays in London. If Broadhurst and Prokhorkin come over then our forwards could look like

Domi-Griffith-Prokhorkin
Athanasiou-Broadhurst-Welychka
Restoule-Rupert-Rupert
Horvat-Tierney-Anderson

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
It all depends on who comes back as an overager and who actually plays in London. If Broadhurst and Prokhorkin come over then our forwards could look like

Domi-Griffith-Prokhorkin
Athanasiou-Broadhurst-Welychka
Restoule-Rupert-Rupert
Horvat-Tierney-Anderson

Only way Prokhorkin is on the team is if Maatta makes the NHL and Prokhorkin gets cut from the AHL. I don't see that happening to be honest.

Second, Athanasiou is gone, no chance he wears a Knights sweater this year. Gotta insert Jammes in there. Dont see Welychka anywhere near the second line either.

Horvat I thought was close to a guarantee for the Ivan Hlinka, he captained Team Canada last christmas and is a difference maker everywhere he plays. I also love his game and expect alot outta him this season

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Only way Prokhorkin is on the team is if Maatta makes the NHL and Prokhorkin gets cut from the AHL. I don't see that happening to be honest.

Second, Athanasiou is gone, no chance he wears a Knights sweater this year. Gotta insert Jammes in there. Dont see Welychka anywhere near the second line either.

Horvat I thought was close to a guarantee for the Ivan Hlinka, he captained Team Canada last christmas and is a difference maker everywhere he plays. I also love his game and expect alot outta him this season

I haven't heard of Jammes, is he a rookie? And AA and Welychka I figured might start the season there due to AA not being traded yet and us not having any 2nd liners better than Wely yet

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Watching the Ivan Hlinka final it was apparent Bo Horvat was one of the best two way players on the ice, he always made himself visible every shift . It must really suck if London actually uses him as such a depth player, won't happen but for his sake it's better off he gets traded and gets to play a role on a team which he deserves then lingering on the fourth line. I'm sure on some other teams he's a top 6 this upcoming season.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
I haven't heard of Jammes, is he a rookie? And AA and Welychka I figured might start the season there due to AA not being traded yet and us not having any 2nd liners better than Wely yet

Horvat/Anderson/Tierney would all be on the second line before Welychka. Not to mention the addition of Broadhurst, Jammes, and MacDonald if he makes the team will be with the Ruperts and make that the most frustrating and crazy line to ever play in London. Nevins will get a spot game here and there as well.

Defensive Forward

Aug 5, 2010
Ontario

Jammes is one of our top prospects and we managed to sign him a few months ago. He should be in the lineup this year. Even though I would like to keep him, AA is probably gone via trade early in the season.

I like Welychka and I felt that he should have had a role in the playoffs and even the memorial cup, but I don't think that he is a second liner.

As for Horvat... what a player. I think that he should go in the first round for sure, even though some rankings don't have him until #30-35. His two way prowess was shown in the gold medal game of the Ivan Hlinka Tournament and later in the season with the Knights.

He has an incredible work ethic, and doesn't try to do everything himself as he had the tendency to do at the beginning of last year. He looked like he was getting some good PK time at the Ivan Hlinka as well.

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Watched him at Ivan Hlinka and I loved him. Especially his PKing, blocking shots and all this defensive stuff. But I have to say he was also able to create some plays in offensive zone, too...

For me, he was the best forward from CAN team along with Max Domi. MacKinnon did not impress me at all (except the final game), maybe I had too high expectations on him.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
he would make an excellent 2nd line center behind RNH if the Oil were lucky enough to get an extra 1st rounder next year, from some of the things i have been hearing about him.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Watched him at Ivan Hlinka and I loved him. Especially his PKing, blocking shots and all this defensive stuff. But I have to say he was also able to create some plays in offensive zone, too...

For me, he was the best forward from CAN team along with Max Domi. MacKinnon did not impress me at all (except the final game), maybe I had too high expectations on him.

This assessment is, in my opinion, spot on. There is a huge difference between dominating at the junior level and achieving success in the NHL. Many high scorers in junior, flame out in the pros. Horvat along with Lazar, Ritchie and Kujawinski all have the size, skill and skating that should in all probability allow them to be effective, if not strong NHLers. The one Canadian player that really impressed this writer was Domi. He was a threat every time he was on the ice. His skating and vision on the ice was equal to that any other player and his fearless, high tempo style of play reminded me very much of Parise (the son). I will be surprised if he is not drafted in the top 15 and totally unsurprised if he out performs many of the players that will be drafted ahead of him.

That is all.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Horvat appears to be starting the season in a shutdown role. he's doing okay so far. Although - 2 games, 1 assist - makes me wonder given it's his draft year...the Knights' first two games were blowouts.

He's on a great team - has very good size for his age...and appears fine at playing the role Hunter looks to be slotting him in - but i wonder whether his year is best spent on the Knights.

I know it's only two games in - but I just feel that for his draft year and his skill level he should be getting more high quality time than seems to be on the offering in London :dunno:

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Horvat appears to be starting the season in a shutdown role. he's doing okay so far. Although - 2 games, 1 assist - makes me wonder given it's his draft year...the Knights' first two games were blowouts.

He's on a great team - has very good size for his age...and appears fine at playing the role Hunter looks to be slotting him in - but i wonder whether his year is best spent on the Knights.

I know it's only two games in - but I just feel that for his draft year and his skill level he should be getting more high quality time than seems to be on the offering in London :dunno:

He's not exactly a secret... Austin Watson was buried on Windsor too before he was drafted (even though he got traded) but scouts can still see your skills.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He's not exactly a secret... Austin Watson was buried on Windsor too before he was drafted (even though he got traded) but scouts can still see your skills.

I know - but I think his skill warrants more opportunity than I think he'll get. In any event - it might well be fine - and I hope it is for him.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
ok start but has started getting better.

16gp, 6g, 5a, 11pts.

At first wasn't surprised he didn't make subway series - but got surprised when i saw rupert made it. really??

i expect he'll be w/ the knights all year - but get the sense hunter underrates him :dunno:

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Just not enough respect being paid to Bo Horvat these days....He's currently playing as London's best player over the past month or so and still no chatter.

I have said it before but his offensive talents are being overlooked and he's starting to show his skills (not just defensive skills) over the last dozen games as he earns more offensive minutes.

On New Years Eve, Horvat was the player Hunter was sending over the boards in a tight battle to maintain the Knights' ridiculous win streak....and he came up huge scoring all three of London's goals (only credited with two though).

Horvat could be the top Knights' player selected at the draft and I certainly have him above Max Domi now.

Bowie is in the midst of a 13-game point streak tallying 13 goals and 18 points

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
imo he's done really well this year - esp. during the knights run he's been pretty clutch and has showed signs of being able to create offense.

anyone else with thoughts? from what i've seen of him i'm guess he goes somewhere between 20 - 35.

sweranger

Jul 3, 2012
Ranked at nr. 15 at the Midterms. What do you say, is that fair? Please tell me more about him.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Ranked at nr. 15 at the Midterms. What do you say, is that fair? Please tell me more about him.

he's got good size for his age (especially weight)...good two-way player...strong defensively, much better offensively than he's given credit for...and his improvement in his offense as the year has gone on has been extremely impressive. his skating has gotten a lot better, too (although still something to work on).

as far as his ranking - it's not bad. i would have guessed 20-30, but 15 isn't out of the question, especially since he's been trending upwards in his play all year. i'm more surprised that his teammate zadorov is ranked so low...but that's another thread.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Horvat could be the top Knights' player selected at the draft and I certainly have him above Max Domi now.

I went to a Plymouth/London game in early November and tried to focus on Domi/Zadorov. Ended up coming away more impressed with Horvat. Domi seemed a bit more elusive with more flash. Horvat played a more simple game but generated more offense and sniped a beauty on Matt Mahalak. Naturally that was just one game and I'm not deluded enough to think that was a proper sample size. But the keyboard scout in me is happy to see that my one game observation might not have been a complete anomaly.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I like Horvat a lot. Looks like a very safe pick. Sometimes he tries to play a dangler game which I don't think suits him. But he's very smart and plays with a lot of energy, plus he's got some offensive touch...easy to see him ending up as a third liner in the NHL.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
My best comparison for Bo it Mike Fisher.

Fisher players with more grit but Horvat has better hands. If you don't think Bo can dangled look up some of his goals on youtube. He turned some pretty good D-man inside out as a 16 year old and may have one of the best toe drags in the O.

Give me Horvat over Domi any day of the week. Right now he's filled in London where Austin Watson left off. Scoring, playing great D and blocking shots. IMO the kid will be a 2nd liner and captain of a team one day.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I went to a Plymouth/London game in early November and tried to focus on Domi/Zadorov. Ended up coming away more impressed with Horvat. Domi seemed a bit more elusive with more flash. Horvat played a more simple game but generated more offense and sniped a beauty on Matt Mahalak. Naturally that was just one game and I'm not deluded enough to think that was a proper sample size. But the keyboard scout in me is happy to see that my one game observation might not have been a complete anomaly.

I've become increasingly enamored with Horvat.

Every time I've watched London play over the course of the past few months, Horvat has been one of the best players on the ice.

I've heard a lot of questions raised over his skating. For a guy with supposed skating deficiencies, he's consistently catching defenseman flat footed off the rush. I don't think his top gear is anything to write home about, but IMO he's more explosive than people give him credit for. And he uses his body so well to protect the puck.

Anyone who reads my work knows I'm not one for comparisons. But one guy has been coming to my mind a lot lately when I watch Horvat play. And that's Shane Doan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca