C Bo Horvat (2013, 9th overall, Vancouver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Love Horvat. Every time a draft ranking comes up and 2-3 people show up to bemoan Domi's low placement, I'm always stumped because, right now, Horvat plays a more NHL-ready game than Domi does (If I'm really going out on a limb here, there are nights when I don't think Domi is in London's Top 3 prospects! :amazed:). The thing I always come away with when watching Horvat is how smart he is. A couple weeks back they were playing someone (Niagara I think) and the goalie went out to play the puck and instead of following him behind the net as 99% of players would do and try to pressure him/steal the puck, Horvat cut sharply across the crease, ended up on the other side of the net and the receiving end of the goalie's clearance attempt and neatly tapped the puck into the open net, completely shutting down the other team's comeback attempt. It's not the flashy play (Which would have been trying to steal the puck off the goalie), but it was the better, smarter play.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
My best comparison for Bo it Mike Fisher.

Fisher players with more grit but Horvat has better hands. If you don't think Bo can dangled look up some of his goals on youtube. He turned some pretty good D-man inside out as a 16 year old and may have one of the best toe drags in the O.

Give me Horvat over Domi any day of the week. Right now he's filled in London where Austin Watson left off. Scoring, playing great D and blocking shots. IMO the kid will be a 2nd liner and captain of a team one day.

If you're referring to my post, I didn't mean to say he can't dangle - I meant to say he shouldn't. Or at least, should pick his spots better. I find he's much more effective when he sticks to his game versus when he tries to get too fancy.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Horvat already looks to be built like an NHLer. He's as much of a sure thing to make the bigs as I've seen in this draft. Plays an accountable 2 way game and is very slippery offensively, an underrated aspect of his game. I think its funny that he wears 53, because he often looks a bit like Skinner the way he slips off checks and makes plays around the net.

I see him as a consistent top 6 regular with 20+ goal 50+ point seasons while playing a very competitive 2 way game. I'd say TJ Oshie is a pretty fair comparison.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Thought he got stronger as the game went on last night. Love this kid. Used to think I liked Domi more...now I'm not so sure.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Put together a great year with the Knights - 4th in scoring on the team..67 games 33g 28a 61pts.

He's been good in the playoffs, too.

He's skilled and he's very strong (physically) for his age. Has a great attitude and an extremely high compete level.

one of those guys who will make whatever team picks him very, very happy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Interested to hear why a guy like Nic Petan is consistently ranked a step below both Domi and Horvat. For me, they're all similar players and Petan was tied for the CHL lead in scoring this year. I bet there are scouts and maybe even some teams that have all three of these guys safely in their top 15.

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
Put together a great year with the Knights - 4th in scoring on the team..67 games 33g 28a 61pts.

He's been good in the playoffs, too.

He's skilled and he's very strong (physically) for his age. Has a great attitude and an extremely high compete level.

one of those guys who will make whatever team picks him very, very happy.

Anyone in the NHL you would compare him to?

arsmaster*

Interested to hear why a guy like Nic Petan is consistently ranked a step below both Domi and Horvat. For me, they're all similar players and Petan was tied for the CHL lead in scoring this year. I bet there are scouts and maybe even some teams that have all three of these guys safely in their top 15.

You'd really consider Horvat similar to Domi and Petan?

IMO, completely different than the smaller flashier guys, but I can agree with your last sentence. They are probably all in the top 15 on a lot of teams lists.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
You'd really consider Horvat similar to Domi and Petan?

IMO, completely different than the smaller flashier guys, but I can agree with your last sentence. They are probably all in the top 15 on a lot of teams lists.

I think they're not that far off in regards to style. For me, all three are hard working with great hands. Size is the biggest difference, obviously.

arsmaster*

I think they're not that far off in regards to style. For me, all three are hard working with great hands. Size is the biggest difference, obviously.

Yeah, I just see Horvat being a better suited two-way guy. I think he'll fill more roles at the Pro level than the other two.

Horvat and Lazar are the two I always lump together.

Fearless Leaf*

Horvat won't have any issues with size, he stands at 6 ft with a good build. He is been tearing up the playoffs and I am going to keep a close eye on him and Domi against Plymouth in the upcoming series.

I will say this from my few viewing on him during the season, he plays solid team game and he is very complete in all areas of the ice. He is got a good head for the game and leadership qualities to boot.

That being said, he doesn't have the greatest hands and his skating could certainly use some work but he is an above-average playmaker and he goes to the hard areas of the net to score most of his goals.

If I was comparing Horvat to an NHL player, I would say his playing style is eerily similar to Ryan O'Rielly of the Avs.

Fearless Leaf*

I also wouldn't be one bit surprise if Horvat ends up going top 15 in the draft, and playoffs will only rise his stock even more because playoffs are build for players like him.

Looks like Leafs could end up finishing between 15-22 range, would be ecstatic if he ends up getting drafted by us.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
That being said, he doesn't have the greatest hands and his skating could certainly use some work but he is an above-average playmaker and he goes to the hard areas of the net to score most of his goals.

Horvat hands are well above average.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Domi and Horvat are actually extremely strong. For Horvat, this is will documented, but Domi is built like a tank and size and strength will not be an issue for him in the NHL. Think of a Mark Recchi type, although Domi will probably be even thicker. He'll likely end up playing at 210 (he was 195 at 17 years of age!) and he wins more than his share of puck battles along the boards.

I think Petan's upside is as high as Domi's and probably higher than Horvat's offensively, but the size/strength is a slight knock against him that drops him down just a bit from these two ON AVERAGE. But even then, there isn't a massive ranking difference here. Domi and Horvat are ranked mid-1st to late-1st, while Petan is late 1st to early-2nd. And I'd agree there are probably some scouts that have Petan ahead of one or both of the two Knights.

Fearless Leaf*

Horvat hands are well above average.

Not sure I if I agree with that because his hands don't stand out to me and I have hardly seen him make any fancy moves and rather play a simple and smart game.. I think average probably is more of a better word to describe his "hands".

Saying that, there should be no concern because his game relies on his smarts in all 3 zones rather than flashiness.

Fearless Leaf*

Domi and Horvat are actually extremely strong. For Horvat, this is will documented, but Domi is built like a tank and size and strength will not be an issue for him in the NHL. Think of a Mark Recchi type, although Domi will probably be even thicker. He'll likely end up playing at 210 (he was 195 at 17 years of age!) and he wins more than his share of puck battles along the boards.

I think Petan's upside is as high as Domi's and probably higher than Horvat's offensively, but the size/strength is a slight knock against him that drops him down just a bit from these two ON AVERAGE. But even then, there isn't a massive ranking difference here. Domi and Horvat are ranked mid-1st to late-1st, while Petan is late 1st to early-2nd. And I'd agree there are probably some scouts that have Petan ahead of one or both of the two Knights.

Domi is a dynamic player, his quickness and ability to do things with the puck is probably among some of the top players in the draft. Recchi on the hand was never a good skater and he didn't have any dynamic ability to his game.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Horvat won't have any issues with size, he stands at 6 ft with a good build. He is been tearing up the playoffs and I am going to keep a close eye on him and Domi against Plymouth in the upcoming series.

I will say this from my few viewing on him during the season, he plays solid team game and he is very complete in all areas of the ice. He is got a good head for the game and leadership qualities to boot.

If I was comparing Horvat to an NHL player, I would say his playing style is eerily similar to Ryan O'Rielly of the Avs.

I never said Horvat would have any issues with size. O'Reilly is a pretty good comparable, from what I've seen. I doubt he has the same work ethic as ROR does, though.

210 is a pretty heavy player for someone under 5'11. He may be 195 this season but I doubt his NHL weight would be much more than 205, unless he grows another inch and a half. I agree that both are well built kids though and in the end size shouldn't hold them back as much as it could for a guy like Petan.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Hearing two teams are very interested in Bo Horvat - Edmonton Oilers and the Nashville Predators. For me, both teams are a great fit. Edmonton could use his versatility (although a defenseman is of priority) and leadership (huge attraction).

Nashville just seems to be a fit because it's the type of forward they always go after.

These are two teams that people close to the Horvat family have said are interested.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Hearing two teams are very interested in Bo Horvat - Edmonton Oilers and the Nashville Predators. For me, both teams are a great fit. Edmonton could use his versatility (although a defenseman is of priority) and leadership (huge attraction).

Nashville just seems to be a fit because it's the type of forward they always go after.

These are two teams that people close to the Horvat family have said are interested.

Interesting. Both are also likely to pick in the 6-10 range. I would consider that a decent reach if they picked him there.

Fearless Leaf*

Interesting. Both are also likely to pick in the 6-10 range. I would consider that a decent reach if they picked him there.

Agreed, I wouldn't be in absolute shock if it happened but I could probably see the two teams trading down in the top 15th range to pick him, especially the Oilers.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
To me someone like Horvat or Lazar don't get picked any earlier than 8-9 because there is a solid tier of forwards ahead of them (Lindholm, Monahan, Nichushkin). They could however jump ahead of a smaller skilled guy like Shinkaruk or Domi.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
210 is a pretty heavy player for someone under 5'11. He may be 195 this season but I doubt his NHL weight would be much more than 205, unless he grows another inch and a half. I agree that both are well built kids though and in the end size shouldn't hold them back as much as it could for a guy like Petan.

He is his father's son. Tie Domi was 5'10 and between 205-210 during his career. I expect Max will be the same, given he has pretty much the exact same frame. Even if he doesn't TRY to add a lot more weight, most adults put on 5-10 pounds between 18 and 25 just based on their bones and frame thickening out naturally (not talking fat).

Max Domi will definitely play at over 200 lbs. Given his speed and the way he plays at 194, I don't see any issue with him adding 10-15 more pounds of muscle over the next 5 years or so.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Domi is a dynamic player, his quickness and ability to do things with the puck is probably among some of the top players in the draft. Recchi on the hand was never a good skater and he didn't have any dynamic ability to his game.

Recchi had over 60 goals and 150 points in his draft year, and scored 30 goals in the NHL as a 20 year old. Max Domi doesn't have better offensive talent, nor does he have better offensive upside than Recchi.

Try not to think of the 40 year old Recchi with the Bruins - he was an immense talent, even if he was overshadowed by others on great teams over his career.

If Domi gets half the career points Recchi does, the team that drafts him will be very happy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He is his father's son. Tie Domi was 5'10 and between 205-210 during his career. I expect Max will be the same, given he has pretty much the exact same frame. Even if he doesn't TRY to add a lot more weight, most adults put on 5-10 pounds between 18 and 25 just based on their bones and frame thickening out naturally (not talking fat).

Max Domi will definitely play at over 200 lbs. Given his speed and the way he plays at 194, I don't see any issue with him adding 10-15 more pounds of muscle over the next 5 years or so.

Except the fact that Tie was a scrapper and needed to have much more muscle. Totally different style of player here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany