Proposal: Buffalo Proposals for Hanifin (Merged)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carolina has an owner who is ready to sell the team that is also struggling to generate revenues. See the logic now?

No, I don't. Canes have a Billionaire buyer who has already (reportedly) signed the purchase and sales agreement.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
If you go on the Sabres board, most are saying late 1st is the expectation on him. I'm normally in the late 1st+b prospect category or mid 1st....I know Ladd got much more but how did that work out for the buyer...

Yes but Kane is much more of a natural goal scorer in a league where scoring is a premium. Plus much younger. I fully expect the return to be on par or potentially bigger if he's at the 25 goal Mark by deadline time

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Carolina has an owner who is ready to sell the team that is also struggling to generate revenues. See the logic now?

Karmanos is nowhere near Charles Wang. a guy who believed chinese gymnasts could improve the skills of his hockey team. if youve got a week i could fill you in. he once hired a Stanley Cup winning GM named Neil Smith, he worked for Wang for 6 weeks, and then he quit, calling Wangs ideas the ravings of a lunatic

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
No, they don't until a sale is fully agreed.

so your argument is that Karmanos is as crazy as a loon?
gotcha!!!

if hes as bad as wang was then you might have a shot

i think ill trust boom boom on this

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

While it's true that they only have (reportedly) a purchase and sales agreement and the sale isn't finalized until the NHL does it's due diligence and the sale is executed, your premise (I believe) was that the Canes needed to do something like this because they are trying so sell the team. At this point, with an agreement reached, there doesn't appear to be any impetus to do something drastic so I'm not sure what the pending sale has to do with it.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I think you are confusing the deal being agreed upon and the Board of Governers approving that deal. Nearly every insider and outlet has confirmed the deal. Not sure why you'd argue what is so widely accepted.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I think you are confusing the deal being agreed upon and the Board of Governers approving that deal. Nearly every insider and outlet has confirmed the deal. Not sure why you'd argue what is so widely accepted.
Deal is not agreed until there is paperwork. LeBrun reporting something is not hard facts, especially when it comes to something as complicated as a franchise sale.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Please move on from debating the Carolina ownership and potential buyer. There is an entire board for business conversation. As it stands, the current or future ownership of the Canes likely has no influence on any sort of deal between these two teams.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Deal is not agreed until there is paperwork. LeBrun reporting something is not hard facts, especially when it comes to something as complicated as a franchise sale.

Since the guy who knows if the paperwork really exists is probably going to get the final say in the trade, I'm pretty sure it's a moot point.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Because context matters. The Canes have a very deep blueline with good vets in the heart of their prime while Hanifin is still really young and has not even entered his prime.

That was what I was asking about.

As a busy Sabres fan, I haven't had time or availability to watch a lot of Canes games this season. So, I was curious how things were lining up in that Hanifin is improving, yet his ice time isn't growing that much and his zone starts are getting easier.

I think it will be interesting to see if the Canes stick with the depth on the blueline or if they make a deal like the Preds made in the Jones for RyJo swap.

That said, I think it is overly optimistic for Sabres fans to expect to land Hanifin, especially if Reinhart and Kane are the guys that they are offering up.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
i dont disagree with any of what youve written, but it is possible that you never draft and develop a center that good for Hanifins entire career. it does happen. with your defense you could draft 8-14 and never be in a position to get one

im just talking probabilities

im a fan of neither team and trying to evaluate needs as rationally as possible

what good is having an elite defense if you legitimately cannot score

being in the middle is mediocre. not winning enough to have a chance at a cup and not bad enough to gain elite players in the draft

I think you are missing a key point here. Hanifin is the only defenseman driving any offense right now. Removing him is a step backwards offensively even though ROR is a step forward.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I think you are missing a key point here. Hanifin is the only defenseman driving any offense right now. Removing him is a step backwards offensively even though ROR is a step forward.
Ok that's a valid consideration. Id noticed that Faulk didn't appear to be as dynamic as id formerly seen him. Has there been a systemic change that is trying to make better use of Hanifins skills.?

I've only seen 5 canes games this year so far, usually I get around 20

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Ok that's a valid consideration. Id noticed that Faulk didn't appear to be as dynamic as id formerly seen him. Has there been a systemic change that is trying to make better use of Hanifins skills.?

I've only seen 5 canes games this year so far, usually I get around 20

I don’t think it’s anything systemic, he’s just playing with a ton of confidence right now. He jumps in more probably because he trusts TVR to back him up unlike the rotating piles of excremental he was generally paired with most of last season. He’s also getting shots through with much more regularity.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t think it’s anything systemic, he’s just playing with a ton of confidence right now. He jumps in more probably because he trusts TVR to back him up unlike the rotating piles of excremental he was generally paired with most of last season. He’s also getting shots through with much more regularity.
Okay Makes Sense. I've been actively watching Golden knights games because their new so my watching of all other teams except the isles has taken a hit. Still try to watch at least a game a day, sometimes two

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ror with his contract and back problems does not have value unless an equally danger contract is going the other way. That's a potentially franchise crippling cap hit and the payoff of a 55 point player who is good defensively when healthy is nowhere near worth it

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Ror with his contract and back problems does not have value unless an equally danger contract is going the other way. That's a potentially franchise crippling cap hit and the payoff of a 55 point player who is good defensively when healthy is nowhere near worth it
Huh? Dude is selke caliber defensively and is 26 years old. You make it sound like we need to bribe someone to take him of our hands...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad