Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I could just as easily flip this around on you. You said yourself, "I don't want him moved, he's a great player..."

Put Krejci on Vegas and he takes them to a whole other level. Put him on Columbus and he might put them over the top. Columbus' most productive center is on pace for 32 points- yet they're still one of the top teams in the East.

You don't think there would be GM's who'd be willing to risk not getting full value in years 3 and 4 for a chance to contend this year and next? I do. We see it every year.

A good point, and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for a deal to be made, but most of the people calling for a trade are doing so on the grounds that he has all of these issues. I am sure someone would want him, but if he really is the liability that is being claimed, do we get a good deal out of it? And honestly, anyone trading for him, like Vegas, is aware of his age, injury history, contract size etc. He's great for us, because for lack of a better way to put it, we're stuck with him and his contract. I don't know if we get full value unless what we are really looking for is cap relief.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Eh not going to happen. I don't see how we could fit a $12m or so contract (that's where I think he will come in) without gutting our team.
If it would be for a rental (the 1 1/2 year he has left): hell no to that.

Two years from now is a long time. I don't think Karlsson sees UFA, I think he gets dealt and someone gives him what he wants...

but...

In two years who knows how high the cap will be. Krejci, Backes, and Rask will all have two years left on their deal without full trade protection. Two years ago, the Bruins #1 RW was Brett Connolly and the #1 RD was Zach Trotman and Ryan Spooner was breaking out and looking like a potential top 6 center. A lot can change in two years.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
As a side note, how fun/scary will the summer of 2021 be with Krejci, Backes and Rask all coming off the books?

Let's go with fun for the moment :) By then we'll have JFK playing a top 6 center role, McIntyre will step in for Rask (or Tuuka is still good and gets resigned) and Trent Frederic turns out to be Backes 2.0!

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Does someone mind telling me the last time Krejci had a stretch of lackadaisical play more so than any NHL player? I remember the LKH line going invisible for long stretches back in the day but I honestly can’t remember a closer time. Seems like a worn out meme.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
A good point, and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for a deal to be made, but most of the people calling for a trade are doing so on the grounds that he has all of these issues. I am sure someone would want him, but if he really is the liability that is being claimed, do we get a good deal out of it? And honestly, anyone trading for him, like Vegas, is aware of his age, injury history, contract size etc. He's great for us, because for lack of a better way to put it, we're stuck with him and his contract. I don't know if we get full value unless what we are really looking for is cap relief.
Fair enough. Fwiw, I'm a Krejci fan. I think the "lazy" tag is unfair. He's a good player. I just see a team getting younger and faster and wonder if he's going to be a good fit and a good value in a year or two. I don't expect him to get traded this year, but I will be surprised if he's not moved by the end of next summer (not this coming summer), and if they wait that long I think it will be what you said, more of a cap relief deal than a hockey trade.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Does someone mind telling me the last time Krejci had a stretch of lackadaisical play more so than any NHL player? I remember the LKH line going invisible for long stretches back in the day but I honestly can’t remember a closer time. Seems like a worn out meme.
More so than any NHL player, or any NHL a player making 7m+?

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
When Krejci is 'on' he's worth his contract. There are countless players in the league who are never worth their contract, irrespective of how well they play. I'd just keep him around, under the proviso that we make no more big FA signings and continue to trust in the cost-effective kids for the next few years. There's going to be plenty to choose from.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Two years from now is a long time. I don't think Karlsson sees UFA, I think he gets dealt and someone gives him what he wants...

but...

In two years who knows how high the cap will be. Krejci, Backes, and Rask will all have two years left on their deal without full trade protection. Two years ago, the Bruins #1 RW was Brett Connolly and the #1 RD was Zach Trotman and Ryan Spooner was breaking out and looking like a potential top 6 center. A lot can change in two years.

Yeah, I think he doesn't see UFA either. There's gotta be a team (or more) who can fit him in without having to do acrobatics cap wise. He is a great player.

True, a lot change can happen and I bet that if he really wanted, there would be a way Sweeney could fit him in. It's just that $12m for one player is one big boulder to throw in the pond, so to speak.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What if in some strange universe the B's end up with Karlsson, McAvoy becomes 2nd pairing RD? In 2 years, barring a catastrophic injury, we have Long Island Drew Doughty on our blueline. Would make for an interesting situation.

Reactions: veganbruin

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
Let's go with fun for the moment :) By then we'll have JFK playing a top 6 center role, McIntyre will step in for Rask (or Tuuka is still good and gets resigned) and Trent Frederic turns out to be Backes 2.0!

You had me until the Frederic - Backes comparison. Not looking forward to sifting through countless pages of how bad years 4 and 5 of Trent's deal will be. ;)

Reactions: Dr Hook

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
More so than any NHL player, or any NHL a player making 7m+?

You haven't seen Claude Giroux? Corey Perry? Draisatl? Kessel? Nash? Byfuglien? Parise?Spezza? Bobby Ryan? Phaneuf? Paul Statsny? - all of whom have a higher cap hit.
Ekblad? O'Reily? Seabrook? Loui Eriksson? Shattenkirk? Ladd? Yandle? Radulov? - all of whom make more this year than Krejci.

If anything, I've thought Krejci to be a lot more engaged when he's on the ice this year. Especially working with two rookies more often than not. The injuries are troubling but this team is much much better when he's out there.

Reactions: sarge88

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
If McIntyre is the one to replace Rask I sure hope that the proceeding draft is load because the Bruins will be gaurenteed a very high pick, likely number one overall unless they loss the lottery.

Last edited:
Reactions: William Faulkner

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If McIntyre is the one to replace Rask I sure hope that the proceeding draft is load because the Bruins will be gaurenteed a very high pick, likely number overall unless they loss the lottery.

As of now, I can't disagree with you, but it was a 2 year speculation- who knows what Zane will be in 2 years. I am trying to be an optimist here :laugh:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
That’s 15% of the season the past four years according to your numbers. Assuming you aren’t including playoffs? And you’re also assuming the second he returns from injury there is no rust and he is 100% Krejci?

That’s more or less $1.1m cap hit per season he’s on the books for but not playing. Disclaimer: Krejci is a very good player when healthy, offensively the play flows through him, even when he’s not putting in the max effort. He’s effective. But he misses quite a bit of games. And it takes him time to adjust once returning from injury. Compare players who make 7m+ per year who miss 15% of their games the past 4 years. I bet the list is short.

and if we look at the injuries we see he had an mcl... Charlie mcavoy and david pastrnak might suffer an mcl... its not someone one person is more prone to than another person... its simply a question of bad luck, bad timing...

if we take the 30 plus games he missed from the mcl away we now see he has missed around 3 games per season over the past 8 years.

so trying to use 1 single injury to boost the numbers and claim that it represents 15% per year is very dishonest math. in a true statistal analysis you throw out the extremes... the best year and the worst year of the study so they don't skew the numbers.

krecji is reality was injured ONE SEASON and has been HEALTHY EVERY OTHER SEASON.

it just feels like hes been hurt because any game he misses is HUGE... we SUFFER when hes NOT IN THE LINEUP and it really leaves a huge impression on us because his absence is NOTICED

but numbers don't lie.. and reality speaks for itself. he had one very bad injury in his career... a few nagging ones... its very normal

I still am open minded about trading him... but this injury prone nonsense has to be called out whenever someone tries to argue this garbage because we should be fair

krejci is highly paid... hes signed to a long term... hes getting older... he is somewhat inconsistent... theres so many fair and honest reasons we could use to suggest he could be traded... throwing the injury thing into it is just totally unnecessary and weakens the whole debate

Reactions: JP Nolan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
As a side note, how fun/scary will the summer of 2021 be with Krejci, Backes and Rask all coming off the books?

I used to spend hours and hours every year projecting the lineup 2-3-4 seasons into the future... and then one day I realized every second of that time had been a waste

if krejci makes it to the end of his contract... I could easily seeing him brought back. he is a character player. as his cost goes down, he is the type of guy good organizations like to keep around to establish continuity in their team and teach the new guys what it means to be a bruin

backes... his health issues sort of have me thinking we might not even seen him make it to the end of his contract. other people with this disease have had to retire early

rask... unless the wheels fall off... I see rask resigning

that's my 2 cents... but I usually get these things wrong

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We should just see how the next 18 months go on Krejci and revisit this in July 2019. At that time he will have 2 years left and a Modified no trade

By then we will have more information on JFK, Frederic, Donato, Krejci himself and who knows what else

Right now both sides are in a good place

Reactions: wintersej

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I used to spend hours and hours every year projecting the lineup 2-3-4 seasons into the future... and then one day I realized every second of that time had been a waste

if krejci makes it to the end of his contract... I could easily seeing him brought back. he is a character player. as his cost goes down, he is the type of guy good organizations like to keep around to establish continuity in their team and teach the new guys what it means to be a bruin

backes... his health issues sort of have me thinking we might not even seen him make it to the end of his contract. other people with this disease have had to retire early

rask... unless the wheels fall off... I see rask resigning

that's my 2 cents... but I usually get these things wrong
You dont usually get these things wrong you're to hard on yourself

I look forward to July 1, 2019 reading your take on Krejci for at that time they can deal him if they want

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
We should just see how the next 18 months go on Krejci and revisit this in July 2019. At that time he will have 2 years left and a Modified no trade

By then we will have more information on JFK, Frederic, Donato, Krejci himself and who knows what else

My argument against that is that if you think you can compete for something other than a first round participation trophy, there’s a case to be made that his durability is a major concern. If you could guarantee he’d be 100% I’d want to keep him as he’s better than anyone he’d fetch in trade, but that’s because he carries a risk. He’s often injured or not 100%. And this team goes as he goes and he’s now the entire key to our secondary scoring. There’s a lot of risk in having to count on a guy you can’t actually count on.

What to do with Krejci is a really tough call IMO. Chances are this GM isn’t able/willing to move him anyway, but if he was I’d be torn. He’s a huge asset when healthy, but he kills you when you count on him and he’s half the guy or hurt (like last playoffs).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My argument against that is that if you think you can compete for something other than a first round participation trophy, there’s a case to be made that his durability is a major concern. If you could guarantee he’d be 100% I’d want to keep him as he’s better than anyone he’d fetch in trade, but that’s because he carries a risk. He’s often injured or not 100%. And this team goes as he goes and he’s now the entire key to our secondary scoring. There’s a lot of risk in having to count on a guy you can’t actually count on.

What to do with Krejci is a really tough call IMO. Chances are this GM isn’t able/willing to move him anyway, but if he was I’d be torn. He’s a huge asset when healthy, but he kills you when you count on him and he’s half the guy or hurt (like last playoffs).
The tough call will be on July 1, 2019.

He will soon-to-be 34 in the summer of 2019.

A lot can happen in next season and 2/3rds

Krejci makes Bergeron better in multiple ways - they 'kill' Krejci they take a part of Bergeron. It's not like stratomatic we are trading players with no effect on other players

There is the Sweeney factor as well - he is fond of this player

If I had to make a prediction I think Krejci is never traded accept on the message boards, radio, and bars

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

This. I don't complain about Krejci because he has to turn into an offensive black hole for me to want him gone. I was never on the 'Spooner is so great we can't possibly draft another center like Barzal and Krejci needs to go' train that was 90% of this board a couple years ago.

But like Chara he is still a top guy. And like Chara I know he'll be really good in a reduced role just not sure that can happen here. Big Z on a new team with no power play time playing the second pairing has 10 years left in him and will play until he is 50. Krejci on the Leafs or Penguins in the role he was in with Ryder and Wheeler in 2009 wins a Conn Smythe.

There will be no problems trading this dude in 2019 if we need to make room for youngsters. Backes is a different story and might be Hayes/Beleskey and Providence fodder at that point.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Can we trade Krug before the rest of the league figures out that he is slow, can't shoot, and gives the puck away in his own end far too easily?

Please.

Reactions: Strafer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad