Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The reason why Carlo might be the guy moved instead of Miller or McQuaid is probably his value though right? Can't imagine McQuaid has any real trade value, and Miller is marginally better, but neither are going to fetch you a guy like Vatanen even if you threw in a 1st rounder. Carlo on the other hand...

That's a good point- I wonder what sort of deal Sweeney was pitching on Vatanen. Looking at what NJ gave up, if it were, say, Miller, there had to be some other stuff going with, 1st rounder and a forward prospect? Carlo would definitely have lessened the extras.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
That's a good point- I wonder what sort of deal Sweeney was pitching on Vatanen. Looking at what NJ gave up, if it were, say, Miller, there had to be some other stuff going with, 1st rounder and a forward prospect? Carlo would definitely have lessened the extras.

Anahiem I believe were looking for forward help today not tomorrow with all their injuries up front and with their defensive depth it helped them land Henrique. The Bruins really didn't have a match unless your talking Krejci who was injured at the time and I'm sure Sweeney wanted to deal prospects. As robbing peter to pay pal really wouldn't of been very effective.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The likely-hood is the idea is to move other assets for a Top 4 RD, then if McQuaid or Miller weren't part of the package going back, then move one of them in a separate deal.

Doubtful if they were in on Vatanen that it was another equally valuable RD in Carlo being discussed going the other way, considering Vatanen was moved for a center, and we know Sweeney already balked at including Carlo in deals for Duchene.
That makes sense. I'd rather have Vatanen than Carlo right now for sure, though their ages and costs might make them equally valuable in the trade sense.

Side note - I know you're just going on rumors that Sweeney balked at including Carlo, but I'm not sure we should do that. He could easily have offered him and just not added enough on top, or he could easily have been talking to Sakic about his favorite fishing hole.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

If they were talking Carlo for Vatanen, it would be Anaheim giving up the extras.

Vatanen had been made expendable by the evolution of Brandon Montour. I can't see why they would be discussing a deal where another RD was the key piece going back the other way. Seems pretty clear Anaheim were looking to deal from a source of excess (RD) to upgrade another position.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If they were talking Carlo for Vatanen, it would be Anaheim giving up the extras.

Vatanen had been made expendable by the evolution of Brandon Montour. I can't see why they would be discussing a deal where another RD was the key piece going back the other way. Seems pretty clear Anaheim were looking to deal from a source of excess (RD) to upgrade another position.

So if Lebrun was right and the Bruins expressed interest in Vatanen, they must have had another deal lined up to ship out one of our RDs? Hmm. Well, I guess we'll never know since the deal didn't come off. If the rumor is true, though, I find it interesting that the team is looking for an upgrade on RHD. Not an area where I thought the team needs any long-term help.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So if Lebrun was right and the Bruins expressed interest in Vatanen, they must have had another deal lined up to ship out one of our RDs? Hmm. Well, I guess we'll never know since the deal didn't come off. If the rumor is true, though, I find it interesting that the team is looking for an upgrade on RHD. Not an area where I thought the team needs any long-term help.

And I don't see Vatanen a move for the long-term. He'd have two years after this one before he's a UFA.

My guess is they were discussing a package of Spooner + Miller(UFA same time as Vatanen) + other young assets (picks and prospects).

But NJ stepped up to the plate with a better and more proven Center in Henrique, something that helps Anaheim more right now than getting some middling players and futures.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Critical criticism is what is needed after the pitiful effort on that goal....4th on D in hits. He should be first or second. He is 22 and a big kid. If you dont bring offense and your position is defense then you need some SNARL....Some intimidation at the blue line. He plays scared physically. It is very noticeable. Has he ever fought ?....I think once. Has he ever come to a team mates back ?.........What he needs is SHAWN THORNTON to take him in the ring.....Thats what he needs.

He's actually 21. Just recently turned 21. So the first 103 games of his career have been as a 19/20 year old defenseman.....where he's averaged over 20 minutes/game and been a 1st unit guy on one of the best penalty kills. But yeah, lets talk about hits and snarl.

He's 5 inches taller than McAvoy and few pounds lighter. Different player. Different body type. At least let him grow into his bigger body. Develop that man strength, which will come IMO.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I agree....i was responding to some others who were suggesting Lucic back here.
Lets hope those 33 thousand plus posts though have a little bit more substance then just taking shots....I may just have to read some going forward.

It wasn't a shot...it's reality.

Lucic is not coming back to Boston, nor do I want him back at this stage of his career.

When you have 33k+ posts, sometimes you have to be brief, doesn't mean I was "taking a shot" at you. If you plan on being here awhile, you may have to develop thicker skin.

ps What's up with the random words in CAPS?

Reactions: maxl7

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Make a deal with Vegas.

Carlo + Spooner + O'Gara

for

Theodore + Marchessault

Theodore - McAvoy
Chara - K. Miller
Krug - McQuaid
Grizz

Marchand - Beregron - Pastrnak
Debrusk - Krejci - Marchessault
Heinen - Backes - Bjork
Kuraly - Nash - Acciari

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Krejci was spectacular last night

Please stop the Krejci trade crap

It's embarrassing they won't get anyone better even if he waived

Krejci is spectacrlar many nights... i dont think even his harshest critic says otherwise

Im pretty sure the trade krejci crowd look more at his consistentcy and his season long body of work and his contract. One or twenty great games doesnt change their opinion

The pro krejci crowd prob mostly defends him because hes a money player who wins at big games

Ill leave the injury nonsense out of this

But his contract... his advancing age... his inconsistent performance... those things arent magically erased by 1 good game

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So even though Backes has been one of their better forwards since coming back weeks early from a pretty major surgery and is the only forward with any toughness you want to move him for 5'9 Tyler Ennis and Niederreiter? I'm fine with the rest of this trade but he last thing they need to do is get smaller and softer upfront with a guy like Ellis talking Backes spot.

If they do something with Minnesota I would go smaller Vatrano for Foligno or if you are going bigger target Coyle. Smaller and softer is not the way to go.

I wouldnt want to trade backes... but fans that say we cant trade player x because of a good game or good week or good month sort of miss the big picture

In backes case and krecji these are older players on longterm big contracts where there is legitimate concern of decline

I think both players still help now... but can i promise they are worth the cap hit 3 years from now when we need to sign the kids?

The question becomes are we a contender today that needs these vets now? Or should we move them when we can to free up cap room in the future?

My vote is keep them now... but for people that vote otherwise, good play just adds value. No one is going to trade for belesky when he has 0 points but they might trade for him when he has 20 goals.

Trade guys when they are still playing good or when the other side believes they can still play good because thats when you get back something good

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
My vote is keep them now... but for people that vote otherwise, good play just adds value. No one is going to trade for belesky when he has 0 points but they might trade for him when he has 20 goals.

Trade guys when they are still playing good or when the other side believes they can still play good because thats when you get back something good

I don't think it's very arguable that when Backes and Krejci are both in the lineup our team is significantly better. It's no coincidence that the team started winning when Krejci came back and got even better when Backes returned. We need those guys in the lineup and in the locker room. At some point it becomes about more than cap space. I think moving either of them at their age and salaries is a difficult job to start with. Decline may be an issue, it may not, everyone's DNA is different. The cap hit may not be worth it in three years, but the flip side is that it might be. It depends on so many things- which kids have turned out to have sustainable success over 2-3 seasons, not just a good start or a good stretch of play, to merit big raises, what injuries/retirements might do. I am with you on not moving either guy.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Carlo is where Tyler Myers was at the end of his time in Buffalo. Set the bar too high for himself and was going to need some time to get back to that level. He'll have a long career I'd hang on to him but if we want to be really good a better RD partner to carry Krug would help us big time. Its a shame that we didn't get to see him play a big role in the playoffs last year since he was one of the 4-5 D men injured that would tell us how much of a keeper the guy is. My guess is Carlo takes the next step next season and adds some strength and everyone is thrilled we didn't move him.

Last year when carlo mania was happening i made at least a fozen posts referencing big shutdown kid dmen like myers, luke schenn, mike komasek, zack bogosian, jared cowen, darnell nurse and others who came into league... had immediate success as a teen... and then either never got better or even regressed

When people were saying carlo for langeskog was overpayment i was like... no its not

I see very successful stay home dman turn out to be marc methot, chris tanev, hjarmlsson and guys of that ilk... not saviors

Alot of what carlo does reminds me of a mike rathie(sp?) Or a kjell samuelsson... pretty damn decent guys but certainly not all star hof talent

Carlo had a 30 game stretch of hockey last year where he blew us away...then a few struggles

Now moved away from chara hes looked like a 3rd pairing guy for the most part this year.

Honestly most kids his age are still struggling in ahl for anothercouple years. Carlo is definetely a legit nhl talent but imho i will never ecpect him to be our savior based on what i see

Its too bad he didnt have more grit... cause a mean streak would make him better. But he is who he is.

I see either a world class bottom pair or an average second pair guy who can even mascarade on a first pair at times. He has value to a winning team but hes not an untouchable like trade board tried to call him last year

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
3. Trade Carlo for a forward and get the well rounded RHD in a different deal.

LOL, do you have any idea what a well rounded defenseman costs to acquire in the NHL?

Here's a hint, Chia gave up Taylor Hall, a former #1 overall pick, and a PPG player for a 2nd pairing defenseman with the 'potential' to become a first pairing defenseman in Adam Larsson.

That's why the best way to 'acquire' defensemen is to grow your own.

I know Carlo hasn't been as good as last year but he's still extremely young with room to get better. This talk about snarl and bite is ridiculous. It's the kind of mentality that had us waste a 3rd round pick for Zac Rinaldo. What did he end up doing for us, oh yeah spending 90% of the time in the press box, just waiting for a game to be 'unleashed' to 'thug it out' against the other team's enforcer.

Question - how long did it take for the Bruins to find a replacement for Boychuk? Answer - it took years, and the guy we found was drafted and raised in our own system. Why are we suddenly in a hurry to give that away?

What the Bruins need is more talent not 'snarl' or thuggery.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldnt want to trade backes... but fans that say we cant trade player x because of a good game or good week or good month sort of miss the big picture

In backes case and krecji these are older players on longterm big contracts where there is legitimate concern of decline

I think both players still help now... but can i promise they are worth the cap hit 3 years from now when we need to sign the kids?

The question becomes are we a contender today that needs these vets now? Or should we move them when we can to free up cap room in the future?

What if the players tell family and friends and the Bruins front office knows they won't waive there NMC

We just saw Giancarlo Stanton use it to veto a deal to the Giants and force his way to the Yankees for 10 cents on the dollar

David Krejci 100% will play out that contract

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Last year when carlo mania was happening i made at least a fozen posts referencing big shutdown kid dmen like myers, luke schenn, mike komasek, zack bogosian, jared cowen, darnell nurse and others who came into league... had immediate success as a teen... and then either never got better or even regressed

When people were saying carlo for langeskog was overpayment i was like... no its not

I see very successful stay home dman turn out to be marc methot, chris tanev, hjarmlsson and guys of that ilk... not saviors

Alot of what carlo does reminds me of a mike rathie(sp?) Or a kjell samuelsson... pretty damn decent guys but certainly not all star hof talent

Carlo had a 30 game stretch of hockey last year where he blew us away...then a few struggles

Now moved away from chara hes looked like a 3rd pairing guy for the most part this year.

Honestly most kids his age are still struggling in ahl for anothercouple years. Carlo is definetely a legit nhl talent but imho i will never ecpect him to be our savior based on what i see

Its too bad he didnt have more grit... cause a mean streak would make him better. But he is who he is.

I see either a world class bottom pair or an average second pair guy who can even mascarade on a first pair at times. He has value to a winning team but hes not an untouchable like trade board tried to call him last year
We disagree on Carlo but I got a great memory and the day Carlo plays NHL game 250 I will be checking in

Couldn't disagree more on Kjell Samuelson and Rathjie but I've only been going for 50 years

Reactions: zaYG

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Critical criticism is what is needed after the pitiful effort on that goal....4th on D in hits. He should be first or second. He is 22 and a big kid. If you dont bring offense and your position is defense then you need some SNARL....Some intimidation at the blue line. He plays scared physically. It is very noticeable. Has he ever fought ?....I think once. Has he ever come to a team mates back ?.........What he needs is SHAWN THORNTON to take him in the ring.....Thats what he needs.
Who's 22?

Reactions: zaYG

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Carlo had a 30 game stretch of hockey last year where he blew us away than a few struggles

What if the players tell family and friends and the Bruins front office knows they won't waive there NMC

We just saw Giancarlo Stanton use it to veto a deal to the Giants and force his way to the Yankees for 10 cents on the dollar

David Krejci 100% will play out that contract

you and i have seen players unwilling to move. in hockey mats sundin jumps to mind... shane doan... there are others that might not be so vocal?

is krejci one of these guys? iginla was... for years he talked nothing but his desire to stay in calgary. bourque was the poster boy of team loyalty...

i guess im not telling you anything you dont already know but guys with ntc often get moved. sometimes they even request the move themselves

whatever does or doesn't happen with krejci it needs to be done with respec
hes been a very good soldier for us

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
you and i have seen players unwilling to move. in hockey mats sundin jumps to mind... shane doan... there are others that might not be so vocal?

is krejci one of these guys? iginla was... for years he talked nothing but his desire to stay in calgary. bourque was the poster boy of team loyalty...

i guess im not telling you anything you dont already know but guys with ntc often get moved. sometimes they even request the move themselves

Other then Carolina don't see it

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017

Krejci needs to finish his career right here and then he needs to have his 46 raised to the rafters. When all is said and done. Thats my opinion of the guy.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Krejci needs to finish his career right here and then he needs to have his 46 raised to the rafters. When all is said and done. Thats my opinion of the guy.

As a kid i was lucky my favorite player terry oreilly became a lifetime bruin and i was never forced to see him traded. Even as he broke down at the end i got to enjoy him as my hero with my favorite team.

One of the first trades that hurt me was barry pederson. I guess i was around 13 or 14 at the time. I was so angry my bruins were trading their best player for someone i never heard of

And a pick

A few years later that pick was a pretty good defdnseman that wanted a new contract. I was around 20 by that time but you cant believe my rage when we let wesley go for 3 unknown picks

I hated both the pederson and the wesley trade because very good players i loved were being traded for stuff i didnt love

Its difficult as fans to understand sometimes trading our favorite heros is the right thing to do

Krejci and carlo might stay bruins forever... but i saw pederson and wesley get moved and it made our team better in both cases. I saw oreilly fall apart before my eyes and retire a bruin but that didnt make our team better

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I'd say if they were in on Vatanen, it was more likely that Kevan Miller would be the one made available, not Carlo.
I suppose so. Even though Carlo has been struggling a bit as of late, he still averages top 4D minutes and should grow to be a defensive #3D that can chip in offensively. The Bruins would be deeper with McAvoy, Vatanen, and Carlo on the right side, but I think the Bruins would be wasting Carlo by playing him on the 3rd-pair if a trade like that went down. If the Bruins wanted a more offensive RD, they should have kept Colin Miller (averages similar TOI as Kevan Miller this season) and let him develop.
LOL, do you have any idea what a well rounded defenseman costs to acquire in the NHL?

Here's a hint, Chia gave up Taylor Hall, a former #1 overall pick, and a PPG player for a 2nd pairing defenseman with the 'potential' to become a first pairing defenseman in Adam Larsson.

That's why the best way to 'acquire' defensemen is to grow your own.

I know Carlo hasn't been as good as last year but he's still extremely young with room to get better. This talk about snarl and bite is ridiculous. It's the kind of mentality that had us waste a 3rd round pick for Zac Rinaldo. What did he end up doing for us, oh yeah spending 90% of the time in the press box, just waiting for a game to be 'unleashed' to 'thug it out' against the other team's enforcer.

Question - how long did it take for the Bruins to find a replacement for Boychuk? Answer - it took years, and the guy we found was drafted and raised in our own system. Why are we suddenly in a hurry to give that away?

What the Bruins need is more talent not 'snarl' or thuggery.
Um...?

I have voiced my opinion for a while that I think McAvoy and Carlo should be two of the Bruins' top 4 defensemen for a long time. I didn't want the Bruins to trade Carlo for Landeskog. I also didn't want the Bruins to trade him for Duchene. My third option post in reply to LouJersey had nothing to do with grit, Rinaldo, snarl, thuggery, or devaluing Carlo but more so to try and make sense of what the Bruins are thinking about going after Vatanen with the top 4RD already set with McAvoy and Carlo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad