Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I wouldn't say he's a massive improvement, but he's a better player than Riley Nash. Better goal scorer and point producer. Pageau's GPG the last two seasons is almost 80% higher than Nash, his PPG is 60% higher.

Riley Nash couldn't score 4 goals in a playoff game in his dreams.

He's a better face-off man as well, at 53.5% over the last two years.

Question is, at 3.5 million per this year and the next two years, is Pageau a big enough upgrade on Nash now at 900k, and on JFK in the years moving forward.

Now that I think about it, I'd pass.
Good player who would fit here well in a vacuum, but your last thoughts echo what we should all be thinking.

In regards to other posters talking about moving Vatrano or Spooner...I wouldn't throw them away for anything right now. Injury depth is a good thing to have and even if some of the players down in Providence would be better fits at this point, you can't count on that. Now, if we could package them for a gritty, typical 3rd liner who produces, that would be some great depth to have on the team.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Sweeney doesn't seem to be a wheeler-dealer type, but I'd like to see him become more of a "tinkerer" outside of just the trade deadline and July 1st.

His only in-season move outside of last minute at the trade deadline has been a waiver claim on Landon Ferraro.

He hasn't made a hockey trade in 29 months. In and of itself that's not necessarily a bad thing, but the team has basically been on the playoff bubble every single day since he's taken over, so it's not like the argument is that there's been steady improvement or he hasn't needed to improve. You might like the kid movement, but performance results wise this team has been consistently mediocre for years now, and yet, no hockey trades in over two years.

Again, maybe you don't view that as negative and maybe you line up behind "needing two to tango", "don't force trades", etc. But at the very least it's remarkable by itself. I have to think it's possible to be committed to a youth movement but simultaneously interested in accelerating or improving it.

Last edited:

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
bjork, zboril and next year’s 1st for e. kane (extended). would have to be another deal to create some space under the cap, but i’d be more than happy with something like that
after the roster freeze. should try to poach him before the deadline.
I like Kane more than most I believe and there is no way I give up 3 first round picks for him. That’s insane. I would probably give one though.

The one thing I wanted Sweeney to do was get Brayden schenn, I hate that we weren’t able to give philly a better package with all the prospects we have. Other than that I don’t see any other deals out there that I wanted the bruins to be on.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He hasn't made a hockey trade in 29 months. In and of itself that's not necessarily a bad thing, but the team has basically been on the playoff bubble every single day since he's taken over, so it's not like the argument is that there's been steady improvement or he hasn't needed to improve. You might like the kid movement, but performance results wise this team has been consistently mediocre for years now, and yet, no hockey trades in over two years.

Again, maybe you don't view that as negative and maybe you line up the excuses about needing two to tango, don't force trades, etc. But at the very least it's remarkable by itself. I have to think it's possible to be committed to a youth movement but simultaneously interested in accelerating or improving it.

The bolded bit is a little contradictory. We have one season where the team just missed the playoffs- a team Sweeney by and large inherited from Chiarelli and coached by a man that was not stylistically suited for the direction the FO wanted take the team. Last season they got in, not coincidentally after a coaching change that reflected the team they want to build. We are in the playoffs this year at this point and I would certainly argue that it wouldn't look quite so precarious had we not had the crazy injury situation early on. This team when healthy is a playoff team, no question. Sweeney could have made some deals and he may well have passed on some that would have helped, but there is a long-range plan here and it is way too early to call it a fail.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
I like Kane more than most I believe and there is no way I give up 3 first round picks for him. That’s insane. I would probably give one though.

The one thing I wanted Sweeney to do was get Brayden schenn, I hate that we weren’t able to give philly a better package with all the prospects we have. Other than that I don’t see any other deals out there that I wanted the bruins to be on.

it is one first round pick and a guy in zboril who has been pedestrian at best in providence this year and i don’t value nearly as highly as others here do. i’ve seen all of his games but 4 this year. bjork was not a first round pick. i think it’s a lot to give up too, but again, i view kane as a long-term investment.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Schenn is a Blue, correct

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The bolded bit is a little contradictory. We have one season where the team just missed the playoffs- a team Sweeney by and large inherited from Chiarelli and coached by a man that was not stylistically suited for the direction the FO wanted take the team. Last season they got in, not coincidentally after a coaching change that reflected the team they want to build. We are in the playoffs this year at this point and I would certainly argue that it wouldn't look quite so precarious had we not had the crazy injury situation early on. This team when healthy is a playoff team, no question. Sweeney could have made some deals and he may well have passed on some that would have helped, but there is a long-range plan here and it is way too early to call it a fail.

To be clear...I never said the long term plan was a fail. My point is simply to call out that he hasn't made a hockey trade in over two calendar years, and during that entire time his teams have been on the playoff bubble. Right where they also stand today. Honestly I don't see why one can't question the obvious inactivity while also supporting the youth movement.

Reactions: Bergyesque

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
To be clear...I never said the long term plan was a fail. My point is simply to call out that he hasn't made a hockey trade in over two calendar years, and during that entire time his teams have been on the playoff bubble. Right where they also stand today. Honestly I don't see why one can't question the obvious inactivity while also supporting the youth movement.

Fair enough, and you're right he hasn't been active. I am in a place where I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point as to why he hasn't made a deal. Apologies if I lumped you in with the crew that just rags Sweeney to the end for anything and everything. To be more positive, what deals were out there that you think he should have made and didn't? And which of them might have pushed us further? Clearly his first season needed a boost, but that wasn't clear until the horrid late season collapse. Last season, blue line injuries wrecked what was an eminently winnable series with Ottawa which would have then setup a winnable series with the Rags. Was there a deal then or one out there now that would get us a bit farther than what we ultimately did?

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
it is one first round pick and a guy in zboril who has been pedestrian at best in providence this year and i don’t value nearly as highly as others here do. i’ve seen all of his games but 4 this year. bjork was not a first round pick. i think it’s a lot to give up too, but again, i view kane as a long-term investment.

So many variables to consider including - what does Kane's next contract look like, if he is even extended at the time of trade?

I personally am not interested in Kane because of his injury history and because I do not want to give up the 2018 1st.

If you are interested in a power forward, why not just wait for JVR in the off-season and avoid losing the assets? Apparently, TOR is not 100% on resigning him.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
So many variables to consider including - what does Kane's next contract look like, if he is even extended at the time of trade?

I personally am not interested in Kane because of his injury history and because I do not want to give up the 2018 1st.

If you are interested in a power forward, why not just wait for JVR in the off-season and avoid losing the assets? Apparently, TOR is not 100% on resigning him.

don’t like how he chews on his mouthguard all the time tbh

Reactions: Estlin

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
If we want to time travel back to the Hamilton trade. Why didn't we flip him for Taylor Hall instead. Using our perfect hindsight it's clear that Chia in Edmonton was desperate for a top 4 defenseman. And right now Hall is a PPG player in New Jersey.

This team is close but it could use 2 upgrades to really take it over the top, 1 on offense and 1 on defense. The Bruins are swimming in young prospects and picks, if they can make meaningful upgrades, now is a golden opportunity. My concern is that Don is too afraid to screw up to make the needed changes/trades. He has made no hockey trades in 29 months? That stat is almost unheard of if true.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If we want to time travel back to the Hamilton trade. Why didn't we flip him for Taylor Hall instead. Using our perfect hindsight it's clear that Chia in Edmonton was desperate for a top 4 defenseman. And right now Hall is a PPG player in New Jersey.

This team is close but it could use 2 upgrades to really take it over the top, 1 on offense and 1 on defense. The Bruins are swimming in young prospects and picks, if they can make meaningful upgrades, now is a golden opportunity. My concern is that Don is too afraid to screw up to make the needed changes/trades. He has made no hockey trades in 29 months? That stat is almost unheard of if true.
Because the Bruins didn't have any negotiating power with Edmonton when Edmonton could just sign him to an offersheet, which Hamilton would have signed. Same goes with Calgary.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

No chance Chiarelli makes a move of that magnitude in the Summer of 2015 just after taking the job without getting to know the players better and what his needs/wants are.

He likely had interest in Hamilton, but likely no interest at that juncture to move a player like Hall.

Not to mention having a line on signing Lucic as a UFA also factored into his decision to more another LW like Hall for a Top 4 RD.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

Again, maybe you don't view that as negative and maybe you line up behind "needing two to tango", "don't force trades", etc. But at the very least it's remarkable by itself. I have to think it's possible to be committed to a youth movement but simultaneously interested in accelerating or improving it.

They are 32-16-5 since Cassidy took over despite the crappy injury situation to start this season. That's a 106 point pace if i'm not mistaken. That's definitely not mediocre.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If Edmonton is interested in Vatrano I would try to expand and (beyond my usual suspects of Maroon and Kassian) see what it would take to bring Lucic back.

Vatrano, Bjork, one of the D prospects not in Boston and Beleskey's contract for Lucic. They get to try Vatrano with McDavid and see if he can score, get a very good young player in Bjork and a D prospect. If you can't get them to take Beleskey's contract offer Vatrano and Spooner for Lucic. I don't think there is a fit for anything big but try.

If not try Vatrano plus for Drake Caggiula, may not be big but he hits and has decent skill.

Will probably wind up being for a third or fourth round pick considering how far Vatrano's value has fallen.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
3 proposals, pick one:
Colorodo: Nikita Zadorov and J. C. Beaudin. Mainly CAP relief but Zadorov helps this year and Beaudin next, and posibly this year.

Carolina: Tervo Teravainen and Hayden Fleury or Noah Hanifin. Both help this year but gives more CAP relief.

Ottawa: Thomas Chabot and Logan Brown. Have to wait until next year for Brown but probably be worth it.

Krug and Spooner go the other way in all 3. All 3 help the LD and, in time the 3rd line C.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If Edmonton is interested in Vatrano I would try to expand and (beyond my usual suspects of Maroon and Kassian) see what it would take to bring Lucic back.

Vatrano, Bjork, one of the D prospects not in Boston and Beleskey's contract for Lucic. They get to try Vatrano with McDavid and see if he can score, get a very good young player in Bjork and a D prospect. If you can't get them to take Beleskey's contract offer Vatrano and Spooner for Lucic. I don't think there is a fit for anything big but try.

If not try Vatrano plus for Drake Caggiula, may not be big but he hits and has decent skill.

Will probably wind up being for a third or fourth round pick considering how far Vatrano's value has fallen.

wasn't there a post on this very forum that said Lucic will never return here and really isn't warranted returning here due to family concerns, Lucic wanted to stay close to Vancouver, hence why LA, and now Edmonton has his services.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
wasn't there a post on this very forum that said Lucic will never return here and really isn't warranted returning here due to family concerns, Lucic wanted to stay close to Vancouver, hence why LA, and now Edmonton has his services.

I didn't see this, back to Maroon or Kassian.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

he was very seriously considering Montreal's offer over Edmonton's but chose there, I'm not sure why he would have entertained that offer if he was dead set against playing on the east.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Just like the Jets and the Trouba situation, right?
Hamilton didn't want to stay a Bruin and didn't respond to their offers. Trouba, his agent, and Chevy at least had dialogue. Trouba only requested a trade when things were going nowhere contractually. A team didn't offersheet Trouba because Trouba wanted out of Winnipeg and signing an offersheet with another team allows Winnipeg to match, and Winnipeg would have. Since the trade route didn't work out (Chevy not getting offers he wanted), they both agreed to a contract.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Good. He could be a big-time NHL scorer. He can shoot, skate and he lit up the AHL unlike anyone in ages.
Vatrano, Beleskey and Cehlaric for Looch and a number 2

Wow.....You would have to think Lucic would be very motivated if he came back home. If they would take Cehlaric, Beleskey, and Vatrano for Looch and a 2nd in 2018 The buzz of the city....This would be epic. Lucic is not playing poorly. 17 is available. It is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad