Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
As the oilers 18 wheeler heads off the tracks would we trade with them?

Their cap situation isnt great which makes it hard but is there a fit to be found

How would we feel about
Lucic
Klefbom
For
Backes
Krug
Spooner

Lucic might be the correct winger for krejci? Klefbom would be a good fit to play with carlo i think

Does edmonton like the offense skill of krug to play with mcdavid and drasailt? I know Edmonton needs a stud defensive forward like backes. Spooner would upgrade edmonton too

I think bruin management is very petty about wanting chiarelli to fail so im guessing they wouldnt trade...

But this might be a doable trade and its one i think could help us

This is the type of trade that regularly gets made in the 90s but has zero chance of happening today in the NMC for everyone NHL. Everyone that is a vet has one of those things if they are good enough to get a big contract.

All 5 players would benefit from the deal. But Backes says no. Lucic might think about it.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Who are the top 6 Cs in the pipeline that can replace Krejci and Backes and I don't think we can wait 2 years. They are breaking down now and we dont have any skill that can fill in. Rask isnt elite anymore.

I think that Trent Frederic can be the future #2 center on the team. JFK appears to be the future #3. The one thing that Boston lacks in its prospect pool is someone who could be a #1.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They are at game 20 tonight

I will wait until they are at 27 games or 1/3 of season before I get into fantasy deals

As long as they are at 30 points at 27 games they are in position

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Smaller trade idea, but couldn't we do something like

Beleskey + Spooner
for
Brouwer + Bennett?

Brouwer may be an over-paid 4th line player at this stage, but better than Beleskey, whose an over-paid healthy scratch.

And the Flames have shown a lot of patience with Bennett. He has struggled to put up points, but despite his size, plays a hard game. Something that cannot be said for Ryan Spooner.

Calgary loses this trade on both players.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Who are the top 6 Cs in the pipeline that can replace Krejci and Backes and I don't think we can wait 2 years. They are breaking down now and we dont have any skill that can fill in. Rask isnt elite anymore.

Backes is really playing RW at this point, but can slot at center. Senyshyn can fill a #3RW role. As far as centers go, JFK should see some NHL time this year (towards the end) and after a full year in the NHL he could be that guy. Studnicka is probably 2 years away, but he'd slot in to the #3C role behind Bergy and JFK. I don't by the "breaking down now" panic either. Backes missed time for a serious medical concern that has been taken care of and he's already back at practice. Krejci's had some issues to start the season, but the guy has played a TON of games over the last 4 seasons. IIRC he's somewhere in the 85% to 90% of regular season games played over the last 4 years (not include this year).

Trading Rask fixes nothing and probably creates and even bigger hole as we have NO ONE that can be our #1. Trading for one isn't very easy either.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think that Trent Frederic can be the future #2 center on the team. JFK appears to be the future #3. The one thing that Boston lacks in its prospect pool is someone who could be a #1.

Its funny but if I had to comp the three to current Bruins players...

JFK = Bergeron
Studnicka = Krejci
Frederic = Backes

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Brouwer may be an over-paid 4th line player at this stage, but better than Beleskey, whose an over-paid healthy scratch.

And the Flames have shown a lot of patience with Bennett. He has struggled to put up points, but despite his size, plays a hard game. Something that cannot be said for Ryan Spooner.

Calgary loses this trade on both players.

I would be happy to see Spooner and Beleskey moved for "future considerations". I think if Spooner comes back and plays well he might be enough to entice a team to take on Beleskey and send us an expiring cap dump. I'm not a Spooner hater but I don't think he has a long term future with this team and hope he comes back strong to give him some trade value at the deadline

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Still think the answer is a legit hockey trade. zacha for carlo .. ala nashville/columbus . and throw in belesky since they can afford him . ive posted this before buttt im going to do it again. zach and pasta used to play together. zacha has #1 potential . carlo has already shown to be a very good 3-4 defenseman with a chance of being a 1-2 , which nj needs . i would hate to give up carlo but i would also be ok with doing this trade swapping krug in for carlo

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Chiarelli is the guy who hit the lottery and 3 years later is back with his parents picking up money delivering flyers on the weekends

I thought Chiarelli would last a year longer than Claude but I'm thinking they both will be gone within 2 years

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I would be happy to see Spooner and Beleskey moved for "future considerations". I think if Spooner comes back and plays well he might be enough to entice a team to take on Beleskey and send us an expiring cap dump. I'm not a Spooner hater but I don't think he has a long term future with this team and hope he comes back strong to give him some trade value at the deadline

It is interesting that they are putting him at LW now that's he's back, when the team's obvious need is 3C (well, one who can at least contribute offensively). Short term, before JFK or Frederic are ready, they could use him (if he's effective) this season and maybe even next. But to use him on W? Would rather the rookie foursome or Vatrano we're getting the minutes there.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It is interesting that they are putting him at LW now that's he's back, when the team's obvious need is 3C (well, one who can at least contribute offensively). Short term, before JFK or Frederic are ready, they could use him (if he's effective) this season and maybe even next. But to use him on W? Would rather the rookie foursome or Vatrano we're getting the minutes there.

Long term, no doubt but I have to think him playing wing has as much to do with trying to get the PP going as anything. It's been a horrible sight to behold of late. I think for the coaches and probably for most of us, Spooner is a liability at center because he sucks defensively. He can do less harm on the wing and like him or hate him, he has shown the ability to produce something on the PP.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The issue is that Rask is/has been an average goalie while making top goalie coin for the third straight season in a row.

Has he been an average goalie, or has he had average stats? Do we think that things like save %, or even more specific stats like high danger save % and stuff like that tell the whole story?

Over the past three seasons there have been 18 goalies to play at least 5000 minutes. 17th in high danger save percentage is Tuukka Rask (last is Rinne). 17th in medium danger shots? Tuukka Rask (last is Allen). Conversely, he is one of the very best in the game at low danger shots. What does all that mean? I have no idea.

His low danger save % is right about the same as during his Vezina season. His medium and high danger save % has plummeted. Has Rask gotten worse at those shots, or has the team made more egregious errors in the low and high slot? Both?

I think Rask is one of the most technically sound goalies in the NHL. I think he is mediocre at best in the scramble mode that poor defensive teams often put on their goalies. There is evidence to state that if you put an elite defensive team in front of Rask that plays with structure, he is MORE than worth his paycheck. And there is evidence to state that if you don't, well, he might not be.

Reactions: BruinDust

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
If we can put an elite defensive team with structure together, why do we need a top salaried goalie? It makes more sense to allocate the money elsewhere

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I mean, they did win a Cup with the elite goalie + elite D model.

Right, but Thomas was best scramble goalie I've seen and was insane in the playoffs. Your stats seem to indicate that Rask cant do that. I dont remember where Thomas was in salary hierarchy, but I question the value of having the goalie being one of your highest paid players in general.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
If we can put an elite defensive team with structure together, why do we need a top salaried goalie? It makes more sense to allocate the money elsewhere
Prepare to be drawn and quartered for even suggesting this.

I mean, they did win a Cup with the elite goalie + elite D model.
He made a perfectly reasonable 5 million on the cap. People will say "it's only 2 million more", but that 2 million matters. The gap between good and good enough with goalies in the NHL, is not worth the difference in salary. Not to mention that there's arguments to be made that Rask isn't really elite anyway anymore. There are no goalies in the league right now who are consistent enough or good enough to warrant an elite salary. Not one.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Prepare to be drawn and quartered for even suggesting this.

He made a perfectly reasonable 5 million on the cap. People will say "it's only 2 million more", but that 2 million matters. The gap between good and good enough with goalies in the NHL, is not worth the difference in salary. Not to mention that there's arguments to be made that Rask isn't really elite anyway anymore. There are no goalies in the league right now who are consistent enough or good enough to warrant an elite salary. Not one.

In 2010-11 the cap was $59.4M, this year it's $75M. Without doing the math, I'd imagine the percentages are pretty close

Reactions: wintersej

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
In 2010-11 the cap was $59.4M, this year it's $75M. Without doing the math, I'd imagine the percentages are pretty close
Maybe. If so, then I stand corrected. You can win the Cup with a goalie making that amount of money as long as he has the greatest season and postseason ever in the history of hockey. Short of that though...

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
If monkeys fly out my ass, and sparks shoot from my ears, then why should I invest in a funny looking hat? It makes more sense to allocate the money elsewhere.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Right, but Thomas was best scramble goalie I've seen and was insane in the playoffs. Your stats seem to indicate that Rask cant do that. I dont remember where Thomas was in salary hierarchy, but I question the value of having the goalie being one of your highest paid players in general.

Ironically Rask’s numbers during the 2013 Cup run were better than Thomas’ numbers during the historic 2011 run.

Reactions: wintersej

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Chiarelli is the guy who hit the lottery and 3 years later is back with his parents picking up money delivering flyers on the weekends

I thought Chiarelli would last a year longer than Claude but I'm thinking they both will be gone within 2 years

Oilers struggle is no mystery to me... most young teams dont progress in a straight line

Oilers over achieved last year because talbot played much better than can be reasonably expected... their team was freakishly healthy... and there was very little preasure on kids like mcdavid and draisailt so they were having fun

Now they struggle more than one should expect. But some struggle wasnt unreasonable. When they get healthier and talbot bounces back to normal, they will look like a bubble playoff team. Thats where they truely were last year too.

Chiarelli cant make magic. The oilers are a flawed team and will have major cap issues that imho will prevent them from ever climbing above being a bubble playoff team

Buy compared to the wreck chiarelli inherited... bring a bubble playoff team is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT

For people that want to deal rask though edmonton is a good example what might happen when you try to go with cheap unproven goaltending

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Oilers struggle is no mystery to me... most young teams dont progress in a straight line

Oilers over achieved last year because talbot played much better than can be reasonably expected... their team was freakishly healthy... and there was very little preasure on kids like mcdavid and draisailt so they were having fun

Now they struggle more than one should expect. But some struggle wasnt unreasonable. When they get healthier and talbot bounces back to normal, they will look like a bubble playoff team. Thats where they truely were last year too.

Chiarelli cant make magic. The oilers are a flawed team and will have major cap issues that imho will prevent them from ever climbing above being a bubble playoff team

Buy compared to the wreck chiarelli inherited... bring a bubble playoff team is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT

For people that want to deal rask though edmonton is a good example what might happen when you try to go with cheap unproven goaltending

I agree they overachieved last season, however Chiarelli has made some awful trades there. 16th + 33rd for Reinhart comes to mind. Now Barzal playing well with the Isles. Eberle needed to be moved but perhaps picks/ prospects package would’ve been a better return? Strome isn’t working out.

His FA signings aren’t that impressive either. Russel for 5m per long term. Sekera is solid but overpaid & long term. Lucic’s best days are behind him, he’s overpaid at 6m for 6yrs.

The glue on that team is McDavid and Draisaitl, 2 guys he inherited/ lucked into. Imo Chiarelli has done nothing positive in Edmonton thus far.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad