Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
That would be great, but certainly wasn’t the route he took in Ottawa and we should be thankful for that.

IMO he’s more than earned the right to get paid what he’s worth and IMO he’s worth more to Boston than he would be to another club (unless they totally fall off the map).

he hadnt been paid yet in ottawa... hadnt won his championship yet... wasnt 40 yet.

ottawa has 2 dmen to sign... they signed the other guy.

im talking about vets who want to stick around past their best before date because they love to play

tom brady might be an example from football or big poppy from baseball. did these guys demand max contracts in recent years?

for alot of vets its about their having fun and being shown respect and cultivating their legacy.

chara has never given me any reason to think its only about the money for him.

my prediction... a 2 mill deal with a over 35 bonus component that helps the team manage its cap

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
But you're still ignoring the fact that we have no true #1 replacement for Rask. We have C/W in the pipeline that could replace Krejci and Backes in 2 years. Yes Rask has a M-NTC now, but its 8 teams he can limit it to. If he doesn't want to be traded all he has to do is list 8 teams that either wouldn't trade because of their current goalie situation or cap situation. The idea of trading Rask makes zero sense unless you're getting a young starter is elite upside....and teams aren't trading those away.

Who are the top 6 Cs in the pipeline that can replace Krejci and Backes and I don't think we can wait 2 years. They are breaking down now and we dont have any skill that can fill in. Rask isnt elite anymore.

Reactions: Strafer

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
decided I will toss out a fantasy suggestion... based on all the reports Columbus is desperate for a top center because they want to have playoff success... so obviously I'm going to say maybe krejci waives his ntc for Columbus and heres my suggestion

krecji 4x7.25
miller 3x2.5 {a right hand shot}
and a kid {lets say senshyn to throw out a name}

for

boone jenner 1x2.9 than a rfa lefty shooting 24 year old 220 pounder with a 30 goal season on the resume
josh Anderson 2x1.85 than a rfa 23 year old 220 pounder with a willingness to fight
and
jack Johnson 1x4.3 mill than an ufa... currently a bottom pair guy for Columbus behind werenski and murray

cap hit is 9.75 headed their way for 2 players... just over 9 coming back for 3 players... so a decent saving for us... but not impossible for them

next year I would estimate we would be paying close to 6 for jenner/Anderson and theyd be paying the same 10ish for krecji/miller so we get quite a sizable cap relief

we end up with a couple very good third line players and give up a first line center... but we save a lot of age. we do have jfk/federic/donato/studnicka and even spooner around to try in the krecji spot over the next couple years and hope to replace him.

are we a win now team or a win in 2-3 years team? can we afford to create a hole at center if we save cap room and get more building blocks for later?

is krecji and his proven playoff success enough to convince Columbus hes worth the cap hit?

anyhow... my attempt for the day to trot out a topic to debate. I think a move like this can help us this year but more importantly can help us for the future. its not the sexiest trade ever with no star players coming back but it seams like a fairly well balanced trade to me

I'm not sure that trading for wingers is the approach I would take. As someone else said, there is a gap between the veteran centers and the next wave. I would look for a way to improve upon Spooner/Backes as the 3rd line C spot. Someone only signed through the end of next year, to play behind 37 and 46. Someone like Staal from Minn, who look like they won't qualify this year around Spooner and a W or D prospect and a later pick. I think it would work out for both teams.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure that trading for wingers is the approach I would take. As someone else said, there is a gap between the veteran centers and the next wave. I would look for a way to improve upon Spooner/Backes as the 3rd line C spot. Someone only signed through the end of next year, to play behind 37 and 46. Someone like Staal from Minn, who look like they won't qualify this year around Spooner and a W or D prospect and a later pick. I think it would work out for both teams.

And a team two points out of a playoff spot is trading it's leading scorer because? I'm confused.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I know you are slightly joking, but I could see them having interest in Ryan Spooner as an offensive 3C... And you know, he'll do just fine there, too.

Spooner+Beleskey for... ?
Hagelin?
Spooner + Beleskey + pick/C-level prospect for McGinn + Petrovic?

Just spitballin'

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Didn't the Bruins try that for more than a decade to minimal success.

How has the budget goaltender model worked for the Philadelphia Flyers for the last quarter century?

Looking at the list of the top ten highest paid goaltenders in the league, I see one of them ( Crawford ) as Stanley Cup winners. The next ten names have three different goaltenders. I would hope that next time around, the Bruins pay their goaltender south of 6 mill. I think there's enough average to above average goaltenders out there that come in the 4-5.5 mill cap hit range to not have to pay a guy 7 mill to put up similar numbers as the middle tier pack.

Can you win with a high priced goaltender? Sure. But IMO it's not the preferred way.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Looking at the list of the top ten highest paid goaltenders in the league, I see one of them ( Crawford ) as Stanley Cup winners. The next ten names have three different goaltenders. I would hope that next time around, the Bruins pay their goaltender south of 6 mill. I think there's enough average to above average goaltenders out there that come in the 4-5.5 mill cap hit range to not have to pay a guy 7 mill to put up similar numbers as the middle tier pack.

Can you win with a high priced goaltender? Sure. But IMO it's not the preferred way.

Ok, so I looked at the 21 guys who IMO are quality legitimate starting goaltenders. The rest of the league are pseudo-starters and back-ups IMO.

Then I removed all of them who make 5.0 or more. Because honestly, if you're willing to downgrade from the most important position to save 2 million off the salary cap, you're doing it wrong.

That left me with 7 names

Murray
Talbot
C.Anderson
Allen
Gibson
Vasilievsky
Hellebucyk

Out of the 7, five of them were in-house products.

The other two are Anderson and Talbot.

You want a starter whose significantly cheaper than Rask, then chances are they have to find that guy in-house. Good luck trading for one, even if it goes against your goaltender philosophy.

Reactions: wintersej

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I guess the logic of my proposal would see spooner move into the spot vacated by krejci. He gets his shot with pastrnak and maybe boone jenner to sink or swim

On 3rd line backes is around and gains anderson as a winger... but remember we have jfk and studnicka and donato and federic all likely to be competing for icetime in the next 2 years

Boone jenner is considered to be a center too.

I dont think any of us feel bergeron will decline in the next 5 years. Backes is signed and is better at center than wing. And we got 4 kids most of us are high on. Mix spooner in and theres enough centers for a non contender to get by

Of course if you dont want spooner to get a chance with pastrnak... if you want backes on wing... if you arent convinced any of the 4 kids can play... then i could see the concern

Center ice is the least position of concern for me though. Im very happy with bergeron on top... think backes can be the best 3rd line center in league... am more than ok with kuraly taking over the 4 spot... and personally i expect at least 2 of the kids to play...

I like krejci alot but if we have one position of strength to deal from i say its him

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I guess the logic of my proposal would see spooner move into the spot vacated by krejci. He gets his shot with pastrnak and maybe boone jenner to sink or swim

On 3rd line backes is around and gains anderson as a winger... but remember we have jfk and studnicka and donato and federic all likely to be competing for icetime in the next 2 years

Boone jenner is considered to be a center too.

I dont think any of us feel bergeron will decline in the next 5 years. Backes is signed and is better at center than wing. And we got 4 kids most of us are high on. Mix spooner in and theres enough centers for a non contender to get by

Of course if you dont want spooner to get a chance with pastrnak... if you want backes on wing... if you arent convinced any of the 4 kids can play... then i could see the concern

Center ice is the least position of concern for me though. Im very happy with bergeron on top... think backes can be the best 3rd line center in league... am more than ok with kuraly taking over the 4 spot... and personally i expect at least 2 of the kids to play...

I like krejci alot but if we have one position of strength to deal from i say its him

I think JFK/Frederic will not be ready for a year or two. I don't believe Backes can center anymore, but maybe his illness prevented him from playing up to it in his few games he was there this season (stamina and such, getting deep on both ends of the ice). I think they could make some noise later in this season with everyone healthy. And I also believe they can be contenders as early as next year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I am assuming they are out of it, later in the season, not now.

I guess, but unless Minnesota are about to rebuild, Staal still has one year left on his deal after this season. Which shouldn't be a problem for the Bruins, but makes little sense for a Minny team built around core guys like Suter and Koivu in the same age range as Staal.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

If we start naming teams how many have had good starting goal tending for 3 years now with no worries?

Are there 10 teams that havent been scrambling to fill a hole? Ill try

Washington and montreal seam happy
Chicago should be
Ill say LA despite injuries
Anaheim hasnt settled on number 1 but ill say them
Same with pittsburgh
And tampa
Nashville and rangers have been steady
Jersey has their guy
And maybe columbus and us...

Am i missing teams that have had solid dependable goaltending for the past 3 years?

Alot of goalies have a good year... then a bad year...

Its difficult for most teams to go 3 straight years without wanting to change their goaltender

Lots of good goalies... very few great ones

Might we be ok with a brian elliot or a mike smith or even a anti raanta? I think you might not have a finger on the real nhl if you think a team can just solve their goaltending by throwing in any average goalie

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Why does anyone think Spooner can replace Krecji? Spooner hasnt proven he's anything more than a fringe NHLer mainly because of PP points. I am not a Krecji fan in the least, but in the rare circumstances when he's playing and semi-healthy, he's one of the better all-around Cs in the league

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Ok, so I looked at the 21 guys who IMO are quality legitimate starting goaltenders. The rest of the league are pseudo-starters and back-ups IMO.

Then I removed all of them who make 5.0 or more. Because honestly, if you're willing to downgrade from the most important position to save 2 million off the salary cap, you're doing it wrong.

That left me with 7 names

Murray
Talbot
C.Anderson
Allen
Gibson
Vasilievsky
Hellebucyk

Out of the 7, five of them were in-house products.

The other two are Anderson and Talbot.

You want a starter whose significantly cheaper than Rask, then chances are they have to find that guy in-house. Good luck trading for one, even if it goes against your goaltender philosophy.

Love when we use reality to measure against our dreams. Taking time to look how the real nhl works can be sobering

A list of teams that have been looking for goaltending in recent years

Detroit... stuck with howard still

Philly... how many fails now?

Winnipeg... might finally have a home grown guy

Carolina... how long has ward clung to that job?

Vancouver... ironically had a goalie controversy before getting rid of both guys

Toronto... is anderson finally their guy?

Arizona maybe was ok with smith... but really would he make us happy? Or anderson in ottawa?

Calgary hasnt had a starter they liked since kiprusoff and buffalo since miller

Theres a lot of teams wandering in the dessert wishing they had a goalie that didnt need upgrading

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Why does anyone think Spooner can replace Krecji? Spooner hasnt proven he's anything more than a fringe NHLer mainly because of PP points. I am not a Krecji fan in the least, but in the rare circumstances when he's playing and semi-healthy, he's one of the better all-around Cs in the league

Ill answer... prob none of us think he can replace krejci but he is here making almost 3 mill and not well suited for bottom 6 duty

His best play has been with pastrnak as his winger. Pastrnak hasnt really fit with krejci

Spooner might fail spectacularly but as long as hes here we should use him in a spot that might work.

If spooner fails.. we get 3 mill cap room. If krejci id dealt for guys like jenner and anderson we get more cap room

If jfk cant play next year we can find help using the cap room (assuming spooner did fail under my plan)

But NEVER EVER would i say spooner is able to do what krejci can. Krejci is a much better player (who is over 30, making 7 mill, and not a perfect center to mesh with pastrnak)

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
To be clear, I think both Krecji and Rask are anchors for where the team is now and I would move both in a heartbeat for value. But, spooner has already failed and I dont care if he can mind-meld with pasternak, I dont see any reasonable plan that has him in the top 6 beyond this year

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
As the oilers 18 wheeler heads off the tracks would we trade with them?

Their cap situation isnt great which makes it hard but is there a fit to be found

How would we feel about
Lucic
Klefbom
For
Backes
Krug
Spooner

Lucic might be the correct winger for krejci? Klefbom would be a good fit to play with carlo i think

Does edmonton like the offense skill of krug to play with mcdavid and drasailt? I know Edmonton needs a stud defensive forward like backes. Spooner would upgrade edmonton too

I think bruin management is very petty about wanting chiarelli to fail so im guessing they wouldnt trade...

But this might be a doable trade and its one i think could help us

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I appreciate your posts AOF and I feel like I'm debating you one on one because no else is chiming in, but that said I feel that is an awful trade. Lucic is the perfect Krecji winger five years ago, but those days are gone. Klefbom sucks. I dont know who he replaces on our blue line now, and we need to clear spots as our best depth coming up is on D

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
As the oilers 18 wheeler heads off the tracks would we trade with them?

Their cap situation isnt great which makes it hard but is there a fit to be found

How would we feel about
Lucic
Klefbom
For
Backes
Krug
Spooner

Lucic might be the correct winger for krejci? Klefbom would be a good fit to play with carlo i think

Does edmonton like the offense skill of krug to play with mcdavid and drasailt? I know Edmonton needs a stud defensive forward like backes. Spooner would upgrade edmonton too

I think bruin management is very petty about wanting chiarelli to fail so im guessing they wouldnt trade...

But this might be a doable trade and its one i think could help us

I think Dan made a great point in another thread that Krejci needs north south wingers so Lucic would meet that criteria but not at that number. Guys like DeBrusk and Cehlarik are the north south type wingers in house and they can blossom there IMO.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If we start naming teams how many have had good starting goal tending for 3 years now with no worries?

Are there 10 teams that havent been scrambling to fill a hole? Ill try

Washington and montreal seam happy
Chicago should be
Ill say LA despite injuries
Anaheim hasnt settled on number 1 but ill say them
Same with pittsburgh
And tampa
Nashville and rangers have been steady
Jersey has their guy
And maybe columbus and us...

Am i missing teams that have had solid dependable goaltending for the past 3 years?

Alot of goalies have a good year... then a bad year...

Its difficult for most teams to go 3 straight years without wanting to change their goaltender

Lots of good goalies... very few great ones

Might we be ok with a brian elliot or a mike smith or even a anti raanta? I think you might not have a finger on the real nhl if you think a team can just solve their goaltending by throwing in any average goalie

The issue is that Rask is/has been an average goalie while making top goalie coin for the third straight season in a row.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Injuries have hampered this team. I'm curious to see how they perform if/ when they're healthy. If they can get healthy they'll make some noise. Rask will clean up his game. They're a playoff team if healthy

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
As far as Smith goes, he's been the better goaltender this year and arguably last year as well. He not only saves money this year, but down the road as well when McAvoy and Carlo are due raises. Rask would still be on the books for 7 mill while Smith's contract would be over and an easier resign considering his age. I think the budget goaltender model is what would work best moving forward.
Don't know if they have cap money for this but what if they took Beleskey and Rask for Smith? Saves a few million on the contract and then IIRC $3.8 Million on Beleskey. Now we're talking $6.8 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad