Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I like Cehlarik a lot too. I'll admit the lack of actual production is a bit of a concern, but I felt like last season with Krejci he looked like he belonged and actually made Krejci better as much as the other way around. Hoping the production comes next though.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
krejci and backes modified ntc dont even kick in until 19-20. rask is already in a modified one of 8 teams i believe.
dont think anaheim would have the cap . but rask for gibson makes sense , with other details thrown in of course

But you're still ignoring the fact that we have no true #1 replacement for Rask. We have C/W in the pipeline that could replace Krejci and Backes in 2 years. Yes Rask has a M-NTC now, but its 8 teams he can limit it to. If he doesn't want to be traded all he has to do is list 8 teams that either wouldn't trade because of their current goalie situation or cap situation. The idea of trading Rask makes zero sense unless you're getting a young starter is elite upside....and teams aren't trading those away.

Reactions: Dr Hook

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Looking around the league, these are the teams who I would think would be interested in Rask based on their current goaltender situation, but they all have their own internal situations that would make a trade difficult ( keeping in mind Rask gives the go for a trade )

Sabres ( plenty of cap room, but something with decent coin would have to go to the Bruins to make it work )

Flyers ( zero cap room )

Islanders ( only two mill cap room )

Coyotes ( GM just traded away high priced goaltender and stated building with a top money goaltender is not the model he wants to go with )

Calgary ( may just stick with Smith, who's been solid for them. However, a Rask for Smith would shave nearly 3 mill off the books, with Smith's contract expiring in 2019 )

Edmonton ( old friend Chia might just be crazy enough to require a familiar face. They surprisingly have the cap room to take in Rask as is, but I think a Cam Talbot for Rask swap makes some sense. Like with Smith, we shave 3 mill off the books, and get an expiring contract in 2019 )

Vancouver ( currently running the budget goaltender model, but have no cap room )

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Cehlarik a beast

I took some photos of him on my phone from last night and just sent to Lou. He's a monster.

He was ridiculously good in Providence- man among boys; my comp is a division I HE player in a HS public school game - that good

He's North - South I'd keep him with 46

You can see his Swedish Mens league experience when he plays he does not look like a rookie at all.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Looking around the league, these are the teams who I would think would be interested in Rask based on their current goaltender situation, but they all have their own internal situations that would make a trade difficult ( keeping in mind Rask gives the go for a trade )

Sabres ( plenty of cap room, but something with decent coin would have to go to the Bruins to make it work )

Flyers ( zero cap room )

Islanders ( only two mill cap room )

Coyotes ( GM just traded away high priced goaltender and stated building with a top money goaltender is not the model he wants to go with )

Calgary ( may just stick with Smith, who's been solid for them. However, a Rask for Smith would shave nearly 3 mill off the books, with Smith's contract expiring in 2019 )

Edmonton ( old friend Chia might just be crazy enough to require a familiar face. They surprisingly have the cap room to take in Rask as is, but I think a Cam Talbot for Rask swap makes some sense. Like with Smith, we shave 3 mill off the books, and get an expiring contract in 2019 )

Vancouver ( currently running the budget goaltender model, but have no cap room )

Why would we want to move Rask for Mike Smith or Cam Talbot? Just to save money? Would saving $3mil allow us to add an impact player in the top 6 or top 4? I don't think it's enough for that and then we get lousier goaltending on top of that. All the people that complain about Rask's play- imagine how ballistic they would be if they had to watch Mike Smith in the net night after night for us. Hard to contemplate. I guess the point is we have to have a solid #1 that is in Rask's league either in the system and close to ready or coming our way in the trade. If he is in the system (maybe McIntyre but he doesn't look like it right now) then we have to get an impact player in return- a top 6 forward or top 4 dman. Nothing else really makes sense for us.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
krejci and backes modified ntc dont even kick in until 19-20. rask is already in a modified one of 8 teams i believe.
dont think anaheim would have the cap . but rask for gibson makes sense , with other details thrown in of course
I hope you guys don't mind a stranger stumbling in and commenting. :) Nah, Rask is a fine goalie, but a swap around Rask/Gibson really would make no sense whatsoever for Anaheim. Gibson is six years younger, a ton cheaper, has been considered the future in net for the franchise and has taken step after step towards fulfilling his potential. He has been outstanding. There's really no way to make such a scenario remotely realistic.

Again, hope you don't mind the intrusion to your boards. I'll just add that I love your city and hope to get back there sometime, to end on a high note. :)

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Why would we want to move Rask for Mike Smith or Cam Talbot? Just to save money? Would saving $3mil allow us to add an impact player in the top 6 or top 4? I don't think it's enough for that and then we get lousier goaltending on top of that. All the people that complain about Rask's play- imagine how ballistic they would be if they had to watch Mike Smith in the net night after night for us. Hard to contemplate. I guess the point is we have to have a solid #1 that is in Rask's league either in the system and close to ready or coming our way in the trade. If he is in the system (maybe McIntyre but he doesn't look like it right now) then we have to get an impact player in return- a top 6 forward or top 4 dman. Nothing else really makes sense for us.

As far as Smith goes, he's been the better goaltender this year and arguably last year as well. He not only saves money this year, but down the road as well when McAvoy and Carlo are due raises. Rask would still be on the books for 7 mill while Smith's contract would be over and an easier resign considering his age. I think the budget goaltender model is what would work best moving forward.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Is it me or does it feel like trades are rare these days? Other than Duchene trade there hasn’t been much if any action at all.

Can Beleskey be moved to another team with a bad contract (perhaps a contract with more cap hit but a year less term?)

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Marleau makes 6.25 over 3 years. Market rate for big Z is 7 for 1-2 year deal. Thornton got 8 on a 1 year deal.

Truth hurts. He could give us a discount. Sweeney messed up not extending him in the summer when the price would have been low.

has marleau ever struck you as a winner? was his reputation in san jose what a winner he was? I think not... from what I understand his leadership was seriously questioned and his commitment to winning.

no doubt he plays hockey good...

lets compare chara to chelious since that seams the better comparison. chelious loved winning hockey games and said he wanted to play until he was 300 years old or something like that. chelious wasn't sticking around to milk every available dollar out of a team. he said I just love the game. I love to win. I want to help the young guys. I want to help the team.

so is marleau the guy we think chara will model himself after or is it more likely chelious is the example?

will chara want to uproot his family and go chase a cup with a new team? or will he want to just hang out with his buddies in front of the fans he knows and stick around to have fun?

even if you are remotely correct that he could get 7 mill from another team... why would he is my question? the only answer is if hes chasing the dollars.

remember san jose didn't really treat thornton and marleau with a lot of respect their final few years there. both guys were called out as losers. stripped of their letters. thornton and marleau turned mercenary perhaps only after their team turned on them. marleau left because he felt disrespected. marleau wanted a multi year deal for respect and san jose said they felt a 1 year deal was better. marleau went to the highest bidder because he felt mistreated

have we mistreated chara?

I don't see that comparison at all. many many many great players in all sports will take less money as they get older because they want their team to have a chance to win. they've already earnt enough. they want to stay where they are loved and have fun and grow their legacy in their home community.

I see chara doing whats best for the team when he takes his new deal.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I hope you guys don't mind a stranger stumbling in and commenting. :) Nah, Rask is a fine goalie, but a swap around Rask/Gibson really would make no sense whatsoever for Anaheim. Gibson is six years younger, a ton cheaper, has been considered the future in net for the franchise and has taken step after step towards fulfilling his potential. He has been outstanding. There's really no way to make such a scenario remotely realistic.

Again, hope you don't mind the intrusion to your boards. I'll just add that I love your city and hope to get back there sometime, to end on a high note. :)

Post here anytime.

You’re right about Gibson. He’s one hell of a ‘tender. Ducks would be foolish to trade him.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Is it me or does it feel like trades are rare these days? Other than Duchene trade there hasn’t been much if any action at all.

Can Beleskey be moved to another team with a bad contract (perhaps a contract with more cap hit but a year less term?)

ill go you one better... is a good fantasy trade proposal rare these days? forget the reality of real trades... I cant remember the last time I saw someone toss out a fantasy trade proposal where I jumped up and said oh my god that's perfect.

I mean I love to toss out proposals and I try my damn best... and I see what I wrote down and I go... that wont work for the cap... or... that guy has a ntc... or... this deal isn't balanced.

even when you hear a guy might be available like oel... you start trying to come up with a trade that makes any sense and its so damn hard. I don't see how its smart to have both oel and krug on the same defense. cap reasons alone make it very difficult and they cant play together. mix chara in and you are looking at a left side that is way too expensive. Arizona would probably want mcavoy in return but even if you can talk them into taking carlo instead you are killing your strength on the right. most of our best kids are left hand shots. we totally plug up our left side while killing our right side.

so... krug has to go if we are bringing oel in... but then the question becomes how much upgrade is that for us? how much of the team will we wreck to make that happen?

I think it would be easy to trade krug for a good return... but where do we go from there?

ive felt so frustrated trying to make fantasy trades now for at least the past year. I still thing theres a possibility around de haan. islanders are an unpredictable trade partner that often give away their players at a bargain price.

carlsson in Washington doesn't seem like a guy they can resign... so ive tried to imagine how we could get him

josh Anderson was a contract holdout and Columbus wants a center. perhaps theres something we can do there once everyone is healthy?

but its not like it was 25 years ago when I could sit down and think up 100 interesting trades in an hour. I don't blame the real gms for finding it difficult to make a deal. I cant make one and I'm just messing around in my bedroom on the computer with no real stakes in the game if I do the wrong thing

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
decided I will toss out a fantasy suggestion... based on all the reports Columbus is desperate for a top center because they want to have playoff success... so obviously I'm going to say maybe krejci waives his ntc for Columbus and heres my suggestion

krecji 4x7.25
miller 3x2.5 {a right hand shot}
and a kid {lets say senshyn to throw out a name}

for

boone jenner 1x2.9 than a rfa lefty shooting 24 year old 220 pounder with a 30 goal season on the resume
josh Anderson 2x1.85 than a rfa 23 year old 220 pounder with a willingness to fight
and
jack Johnson 1x4.3 mill than an ufa... currently a bottom pair guy for Columbus behind werenski and murray

cap hit is 9.75 headed their way for 2 players... just over 9 coming back for 3 players... so a decent saving for us... but not impossible for them

next year I would estimate we would be paying close to 6 for jenner/Anderson and theyd be paying the same 10ish for krecji/miller so we get quite a sizable cap relief

we end up with a couple very good third line players and give up a first line center... but we save a lot of age. we do have jfk/federic/donato/studnicka and even spooner around to try in the krecji spot over the next couple years and hope to replace him.

are we a win now team or a win in 2-3 years team? can we afford to create a hole at center if we save cap room and get more building blocks for later?

is krecji and his proven playoff success enough to convince Columbus hes worth the cap hit?

anyhow... my attempt for the day to trot out a topic to debate. I think a move like this can help us this year but more importantly can help us for the future. its not the sexiest trade ever with no star players coming back but it seams like a fairly well balanced trade to me

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
has marleau ever struck you as a winner? was his reputation in san jose what a winner he was? I think not... from what I understand his leadership was seriously questioned and his commitment to winning.

no doubt he plays hockey good...

lets compare chara to chelious since that seams the better comparison. chelious loved winning hockey games and said he wanted to play until he was 300 years old or something like that. chelious wasn't sticking around to milk every available dollar out of a team. he said I just love the game. I love to win. I want to help the young guys. I want to help the team.

so is marleau the guy we think chara will model himself after or is it more likely chelious is the example?

will chara want to uproot his family and go chase a cup with a new team? or will he want to just hang out with his buddies in front of the fans he knows and stick around to have fun?

even if you are remotely correct that he could get 7 mill from another team... why would he is my question? the only answer is if hes chasing the dollars.

remember san jose didn't really treat thornton and marleau with a lot of respect their final few years there. both guys were called out as losers. stripped of their letters. thornton and marleau turned mercenary perhaps only after their team turned on them. marleau left because he felt disrespected. marleau wanted a multi year deal for respect and san jose said they felt a 1 year deal was better. marleau went to the highest bidder because he felt mistreated

have we mistreated chara?

I don't see that comparison at all. many many many great players in all sports will take less money as they get older because they want their team to have a chance to win. they've already earnt enough. they want to stay where they are loved and have fun and grow their legacy in their home community.

I see chara doing whats best for the team when he takes his new deal.
That would be great, but certainly wasn’t the route he took in Ottawa and we should be thankful for that.

IMO he’s more than earned the right to get paid what he’s worth and IMO he’s worth more to Boston than he would be to another club (unless they totally fall off the map).

BruinsNetwork

Jeez that praise seems overly effusive IMO.

This particular scout and I speak rather candidly when we cross paths with eachother, hopefully that can provide more context on why his praise may seem "effusive" in regards to Cehlarik.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
As far as Smith goes, he's been the better goaltender this year and arguably last year as well. He not only saves money this year, but down the road as well when McAvoy and Carlo are due raises. Rask would still be on the books for 7 mill while Smith's contract would be over and an easier resign considering his age. I think the budget goaltender model is what would work best moving forward.

Didn't the Bruins try that for more than a decade to minimal success.

How has the budget goaltender model worked for the Philadelphia Flyers for the last quarter century?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
decided I will toss out a fantasy suggestion... based on all the reports Columbus is desperate for a top center because they want to have playoff success... so obviously I'm going to say maybe krejci waives his ntc for Columbus and heres my suggestion

krecji 4x7.25
miller 3x2.5 {a right hand shot}
and a kid {lets say senshyn to throw out a name}

for

boone jenner 1x2.9 than a rfa lefty shooting 24 year old 220 pounder with a 30 goal season on the resume
josh Anderson 2x1.85 than a rfa 23 year old 220 pounder with a willingness to fight
and
jack Johnson 1x4.3 mill than an ufa... currently a bottom pair guy for Columbus behind werenski and murray

cap hit is 9.75 headed their way for 2 players... just over 9 coming back for 3 players... so a decent saving for us... but not impossible for them

next year I would estimate we would be paying close to 6 for jenner/Anderson and theyd be paying the same 10ish for krecji/miller so we get quite a sizable cap relief

we end up with a couple very good third line players and give up a first line center... but we save a lot of age. we do have jfk/federic/donato/studnicka and even spooner around to try in the krecji spot over the next couple years and hope to replace him.

are we a win now team or a win in 2-3 years team? can we afford to create a hole at center if we save cap room and get more building blocks for later?

is krecji and his proven playoff success enough to convince Columbus hes worth the cap hit?

anyhow... my attempt for the day to trot out a topic to debate. I think a move like this can help us this year but more importantly can help us for the future. its not the sexiest trade ever with no star players coming back but it seams like a fairly well balanced trade to me
This is a fantastic fantasy deal- Krejci waiving his NMC for Columbus is the ultimate fantasy

Great job

Reactions: Dom - OHL

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dan was all over him this year early said he's a different player. Kid is a stud.
With the extraordinary large number of prospect doubters and Sweeney haters here you have to pick and choose which prospects you want to talk about on HF

A lot of folks may not know much if anything on Cehlarik whereas DeBrusk is atleast known as the guy we took over Barzal and Connor

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
With the extraordinary large number of prospect doubters and Sweeney haters here you have to pick and choose which prospects you want to talk about on HF

A lot of folks may not know much if anything on Cehlarik whereas DeBrusk is atleast known as the guy we took over Barzal and Connor

Be careful not to lump in "prospect doubters" and "Sweeney haters". Not sure if you mean to, but in some cases they can be mutually exclusive.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Be careful not to lump in "prospect doubters" and "Sweeney haters". Not sure if you mean to, but in some cases they can be mutually exclusive.
Pessimists- prospects
Haters - Sweeney

Both 57 %
Sweeney hate only 23%
Prospect doubt only 20%

Study based on an October 2017 review of 300 random Bruins HF Board posts

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I like Cehlarik a lot too. I'll admit the lack of actual production is a bit of a concern, but I felt like last season with Krejci he looked like he belonged and actually made Krejci better as much as the other way around. Hoping the production comes next though.

Yep, and it's not just his chemistry with Krejci but his chemistry with Pastrnak that makes him a guy I would avoid trading. At least until we can determine if those flashes (as a line) were the start of something special or just a small sample that we're reading too much into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad