Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 II (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I will just say this. I think many here over value our prospects badly and under value other team's players. I know I lean heavily the other way but we'll see. I still dont see any grit,size or toughness at forward in the organization but I do see a ton of small, fast forwards. Move some of them and eliminate an obvious weakness

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I will just say this. I think many here over value our prospects badly and under value other team's players. I know I lean heavily the other way but we'll see. I still dont see any grit,size or toughness at forward in the organization but I do see a ton of small, fast forwards. Move some of them and eliminate an obvious weakness

I don't know that people over value the prospects, but I do agree that there's something missing in the prospect mix. There's no Lucic or even a Tom Wilson type. There's no Boychuk type on defense.

Considering the fact that Sweeney has traded for guys like Rinaldo and Hayes, and signed guys like Beleskey, Backes and Kevan Miller, I don't think the lack of uber-gritty types in our prospect pool is an indication that the Bruins don't want that intimidation factor in their lineup. It just may not be part of their draft strategy.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

If the team is winning is it an obvious weakness?

BruinsNetwork

Left shot dman. 2nd pair guy. Could bump Krug down to the 3rd pair. Play with Carlo or McAvoy.

Worth checking into for sure.

Just leave his parents behind.

Absolutely. I’ve said before that I don’t think the Bruins should make a move at the deadline, but this changes my stance a bit. He would be a great addition for the Bruins and have an impact on the defense as a whole. Run something like:

Chara-McAvoy
Johnson-Carlo
Krug-Miller

If he could be had for a reasonable price I would be happy with a Johnson acquisition.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Left shot dman. 2nd pair guy. Could bump Krug down to the 3rd pair. Play with Carlo or McAvoy.

Worth checking into for sure.

Just leave his parents behind.

I'd do it all day long.

He's gone from a #1 (Pre-Jones) to a #4. I wonder what the cost would be.

I like Jenner too. Struggling RFA due for a raise.....

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Absolutely. I’ve said before that I don’t think the Bruins should make a move at the deadline, but this changes my stance a bit. He would be a great addition for the Bruins and have an impact on the defense as a whole. Run something like:

Chara-McAvoy
Johnson-Carlo
Krug-Miller

If he could be had for a reasonable price I would be happy with a Johnson acquisition.

Don't like the idea of him being a rental, but he's playing for a payday, which could work out well though.

Need some futures if we give up anything of substance, but not completely against the idea.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
if Jack is cheap enough. I doubt Sweeney will pay what they will want for a potential rental. He's 30 so he really isn't the long term solution. Whatever assets we would spend on him we should save for a younger LD whenever that is available.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Johnson is clearly worse than Krug and even Grzelcyk these days. I think it'd be another Meszaros move, where everyone would just scratch their heads asking why did we lose assets for that after he left the team. Don't tinker for the sake of tinkering.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Johnson is 31 and is not an elite young top LHD we need

Now if they want to talk Werenski

My two targets that would make the Bruins a beast based on fit are:

LHD stud top pairing
Mark Stone - top 6 RW

they get either this team is scary good

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Johnson is 31 and is not an elite young top LHD we need

Now if they want to talk Werenski

My two targets that would make the Bruins a beast based on fit are:

LHD stud top pairing
Mark Stone - top 6 RW

they get either this team is scary good

I agree DK however a status quo works just as good.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I agree DK however a status quo works just as good.
I watched some of Harvard game last night and although really only 1 center ice camera it was clear Donato dominated in the offensive zone. For someone over 6 feet he buzzes around like Theo Fleury or Johnny Hockey. I'm very interested in how he plays next month in Olympics.

Donato played center last night. The Bruins left side is ridiculously loaded and now that Cehlarik is back (6 goals in 9 games in Providence) I wonder what they end up doing with all these guys

Marchand
Heinen
DeBrusk
Bjork
Cehlarik
Donato

All left shot top 6 skill sets in time

Donato is playing center and Bjork played RW throughout college and started here as one

Heinen and Cehlarik can play off wing

And Spooner has been playing his best and most consistent hockey of his career at left wing and has improved on faceoffs and defensive coverage

I'll say Spooner is most improved player on this team - I really like what he's doing

The ideal situation would be for Werenski to tell Columbus he's retiring unless traded to Boston. And Their GM(former Bruins) asking only for prospects

McAvoy & Werenski would be iconic

I'd put it at 0.0.

Stone I keep harping on but his game fits like Cinderella slipper to this team style, personality, and need. He's going to get $6 M I would think and Boston is deep and could do this

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I’d hope with all the Krug bashing by some around here that there isn’t a craving for Jack Johnson by the fans. I’m not sure he’s an upgrade over Grzelcyk at this point.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

If anything the opposite is true, far to many have the "grass is greener" mentality when it comes to other teams players. Case in point, the Matt Duchene debate that raged on here all summer.

Go back further, the countless proposals to send Reilly Smith to Arizona for Brandon Gormley.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Jack Johnson would be completely a rental, he's probably asking far more than he is really worth, hence the breakdown in talks between his camp and CBJ.

Like the player, but he's not a guy you hand out major $$$/term to.

Right price then fine. But my guess is CBJ would want at least something that helps them now.

If I'm Sweeney I'd pitch McQuaid + picks/prospects Columbus's way. CBJ gets a D-man who can play for them right now and is signed for one more season, and some futures for a pending UFA. Also allows them to move Murray up into their top 4. Torts would probably love McQuaid.

Werenski - Jones
Murray - Savard
Nutivaara - McQuaid

Chara - McAvoy
Johnson - Carlo
Krug - Miller

Reactions: PlayMakers and TCB

gvkmedia

20th Captain in franchise history.
Mar 2, 2002
Oshawa.
www.hollandbloorview.ca
Well, I will admit I haven't seen much of JJ but when I have watched him he pretty impressive. I watched him last night too.
I am no scout so I really don't know what to look for. He can still skate - that was evident.

So can Gryz.

It is all about the price.

I like the BruinDust proposal. (prospect/pick can't be much more than a 4th and some guy we have to look up.) So what you are doing essentially is upgrading your left side on the roster but downgrading - in terms of experience, your 7th defence man.

I would keep this trade in my back pocket while exploring for bigger fish.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Jack Johnson would be completely a rental, he's probably asking far more than he is really worth, hence the breakdown in talks between his camp and CBJ.

Right price then fine. But my guess is CBJ would want at least something that helps them now.

If I'm Sweeney I'd pitch McQuaid + picks/prospects Columbus's way. CBJ gets a D-man who can play for them right now and is signed for one more season, and some futures for a pending UFA. Also allows them to move Murray up into their top 4. Torts would probably love McQuaid.

Werenski - Jones
Murray - Savard
Nutivaara - McQuaid

Chara - McAvoy
Johnson - Carlo
Krug - Miller
Agree with this 100% exactly what I was thinking to a tee!

McQuaid would end up going back to who the Bruins got the 5th rnd pick from when drafting him.

Ive always liked Johnson the one thing he can do is skate and skate well but I don't think he would be an up grade over Grizz or Krug. He tends to have breakdowns in his own end at times but a swap of a mid pick and McQuaid Id do.

I remember hearing so much about him when he was on the US junior national team but it was the other Johnson who stole the show at the world juniors.

Torts would love McQuaid!!

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Werenski - Jones
Murray - Savard
Nutivaara - McQuaid

Chara - McAvoy
Johnson - Carlo
Krug - Miller

How much of Ann upgrade is Johnson on Krug? Not against your deal at all. Actually I would welcome it.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
Johnson is clearly worse than Krug and even Grzelcyk these days.

So sure eh? A trade to the right team can do wonders to a player's confidence and motivation. Look what happened to Hainsey last year going to PIT.

In a 7 game playoff series against WAS, or PIT or TB, I will take my chances 100% with Johnson's size and experience over Grz and his lack of size and vast inexperience.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Whether you like it or not, you need to accept that the game has gone fast. If you can't keep up with the pace in this new NHL, it doesn't matter how great your shot is or how much grit and toughness you have.

'Grit' players the Bruins have drafted on D are Zboril, McAvoy, and Lindgren. All 3 can and will put the body on anyone regardless of size. They are also great skaters which let them be modern 'puck movers'. They may or may not put up offense but they can retrieve and start break outs cleanly. I don't know anyone who doesn't think McAvoy has enough 'grit' for them.
'Grit' players the Bruins have drafted on O are DeBrusk, Gabrielle, Frederic, and Steen. 3 really fast skaters and Frederic who is above average but 6'3" 216 so good for his size. All 4 have shown the ability to score, hit, and be tenacious on the puck. Gabrielle has had a setback in his game that will hopefully be reignited by his return to the WHL. In the NHL, DeBrusk has already demonstrated the willingness to go to the net, fight for position, chip in dirty goals, and fight after a big hit on a teammate--what more grit does he need to show to make people happy?

I loved the fear an impending Lucic hit caused opposing D that would cause them to cough up the puck. However, you look at the numbers of the non-gritty Heinen vs Lucic and you see Lucic's two best Takeaway years were 33 in '08-09 and '13-14. In just 35 games, Heinen has 27 Takeaways. He's going to double up Lucic's best year at causing turnovers--as a rookie. It's even more stark when you look at that '13-14 year when the ratio was 0.5 at 33 takeaways to 71 giveaways. Lucic hadn't been a net positive since his sophomore year and sits routinely at a .5 ratio regardless of team. Heinen's ratio is 2.7 at 27 to 10.

This is the modern NHL. If you want to win, you need to adapt to the changing rules. Julien and Chiarelli are still playing by the old rules which won them a cup with the Bruins in 2011 but they will soon be fired if they can't adapt. I doubt the Bruins fans will adapt until they see a cup won here by fast, skilled players that play tough but maybe not with the level of 'grit' they associate with championship teams.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I watched some of Harvard game last night and although really only 1 center ice camera it was clear Donato dominated in the offensive zone. For someone over 6 feet he buzzes around like Theo Fleury or Johnny Hockey. I'm very interested in how he plays next month in Olympics.

Donato played center last night. The Bruins left side is ridiculously loaded and now that Cehlarik is back (6 goals in 9 games in Providence) I wonder what they end up doing with all these guys

Marchand
Heinen
DeBrusk
Bjork
Cehlarik
Donato

All left shot top 6 skill sets in time

Donato is playing center and Bjork played RW throughout college and started here as one

Heinen and Cehlarik can play off wing

And Spooner has been playing his best and most consistent hockey of his career at left wing and has improved on faceoffs and defensive coverage

I'll say Spooner is most improved player on this team - I really like what he's doing

I pretty much agree with this statement about the wings. If you assume that Marchand-DeBrusk-Heinen is the top 9 LW for the next few years, something has to give. They’ve got 2/3 of the top 9 RW locked up for the next 4 years or so, so you’re left looking just for one top 9 RW, and preferably a top 6 one. Bjork is the likely solution, but Cehlarik will get a chance and Spooner is currently playing RW. Bottom line; I think we have enough wingers.

The most pressing need up front in my opinion is another C. I think they bring Donato in as a C, and JFK/Frederic definitely get chances as well. I’d be all over Taveres at the TDL and in FA if he gets there.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
You guys can pine all you want for Jack Johnson or any other defenseman, but if he can't play the zone D they play here on the Bruins, he will suck just as much as Liles and every other rental D they brought in since Kaberle.

Of the 6 regular defenseman, 3 are Bruins picks and 2 are signed out of college and spent a year or two in the AHL. Only Chara came from another team. The next best D, McQuaid, is also a Bruin homegrown talent via trade; before the NHL he spent 2+ years being groomed him in the AHL first. Boychuk was an AHL reclamation project for a full year before joining the NHL Bruins. I can think of only Ferrence and Seidenberg as traded for defenseman that were able to adapt to this zone system since Chara. Maybe Aaron Ward was OK at the end of his career here.

The grass is always greener...but you might just be looking at weeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad