Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 II (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I do see a ton of small, fast forwards. Move some of them and eliminate an obvious weakness

It's easy to think they are small. Of all the top tier forwards, Heinen, DeBrusk, Bjork, JFK, Senyshyn, none are under 6 foot. Only Ryan Fitzgerald and Austin Czarnik are considered small, and I don't consider them top tier prospects.

Are they in the Lucic mold , definitely not. I haven't seen the Prov players, but Heinen and DeBrusk don't shy away from contact, and yes it would be nice if they had a player like that down on the farm.

As far as drafting one, if player A was six foot, skilled and the bpa, and player B was a 6 foot 4 inch 230 lb maybe they make the nhl player , and Sweeney drafted player B, he'd catch hell on here.

Reactions: 00BW

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
if Jack is cheap enough. I doubt Sweeney will pay what they will want for a potential rental. He's 30 so he really isn't the long term solution. Whatever assets we would spend on him we should save for a younger LD whenever that is available.

30s not exactly old for a d-man. When you have kids like Carlo and McAvoy and Griz in the line-up and the possibility of Zboril, Lauzon, Lindgren, Vak, coming up - I'd probably prefer a 30 year-old.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I haven't seen him as much this year and know he's struggling to put up points but I still think Rick Nash would be a good addition. Play him with Krejci and call it a day. I expect Spooner to disappear come playoff time when things tighten up. Nash can play either wing, has a solid 200 ft. game, and is solid along the boards. He's also someone you can move throughout the line-up in case of injuries.
Doubt New York moves him while they're in the playoff hunt but I'd be asking.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I haven't seen him as much this year and know he's struggling to put up points but I still think Rick Nash would be a good addition. Play him with Krejci and call it a day. I expect Spooner to disappear come playoff time when things tighten up. Nash can play either wing, has a solid 200 ft. game, and is solid along the boards. He's also someone you can move throughout the line-up in case of injuries.
Doubt New York moves him while they're in the playoff hunt but I'd be asking.

Same here. Go for a real impact player like him. Or maybe a guy like Maroon/Vanek if they're cheap.

Reactions: b in vancouver

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
This is a pretty good possibility two players with expiring contracts Johnson wants out and Columbus could use another skilled forward makes a lot of sense. Especially given the fact Bjork is waiting in the wings at Providence.
I agree. I think going from Spooner to Bjork on that line actually improves it. Marginally sure, but I think Spooner is there primarily because it’s the only place left for him to play since Cassidy prefers Nash at line 3.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I’m trying to imagine Spooner playing for Tortorella. I bet Torts would destroy his confidence in 30 minutes.

Reactions: Strafer

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I agree. I think going from Spooner to Bjork on that line actually improves it. Marginally sure, but I think Spooner is there primarily because it’s the only place left for him to play since Cassidy prefers Nash at line 3.

It makes almost to much sense for it to happen.

The bruins are deep at forward and this deal would make them so much stronger and give them more options as far as making another deal if they so choose or perhaps Jarmo and JD would want a bigger deal and add McQuaid in this one as well. McQuaids a gamer and I'm sure JD would love him on the Jackets.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
This is a pretty good possibility two players with expiring contracts Johnson wants out and Columbus could use another skilled forward makes a lot of sense. Especially given the fact Bjork is waiting in the wings at Providence.

Isn’t Spooner a RFA after this season though? That would be a significant difference.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Johnson is 31 and is not an elite young top LHD we need

Now if they want to talk Werenski

My two targets that would make the Bruins a beast based on fit are:

LHD stud top pairing
Mark Stone - top 6 RW

they get either this team is scary good

THIS^^^^^^^^^ It's not that 31 is old for a defenseman, I just don't think he's the type individual (like Evander Kane) that Sweeney would upset the apple cart over.
IF Stone and or a top four LHD are made available I'm sure that DS will be all over it but in the meantime they aren't going to make any gambles that can backfire (similar to what the Senators did with Turris). That trade is a textbook example on what can happen if you add the wrong pieces and send out a popular member of the team.
Usually I'm open minded concerning trades etc, but right now this team is on the brink of being a true, long term contender, and when they cross the line and are full on contenders it'll be because of the trades that they don't make just as much as the ones that they do make.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Isn’t Spooner a RFA after this season though? That would be a significant difference.

Yes, and Jack Johnson is a UFA after this season and supposedly wants his next deal to "set up his family for life."

According to one article that I read they would want another d-man to take is place. I guess we could be talking McQ and Spooner for Johnson I just don't think he's the kind of player DS would covet because of his $$$$ issues. It was proven that he used his parents as an excuse for some shenanigans that he pulled.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
So sure eh? A trade to the right team can do wonders to a player's confidence and motivation. Look what happened to Hainsey last year going to PIT.

In a 7 game playoff series against WAS, or PIT or TB, I will take my chances 100% with Johnson's size and experience over Grz and his lack of size and vast inexperience.

Ron Hainsey was always a good defenceman. He's proving it this year by making Rielly look like a number one defenceman. Jack Johnson has had very inconsistent career and right now I wouldn't want him on the bottom pairing for the Bruins.

Jack Johnson has never escaped the 1st round of playoffs. I'll take Gryz's skill and lack of experience over Johnson's experience and lack of skill.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Not sure why everyone here is enamored with Jack Johnson???? But he is a 3rd pairing guy this year with a little PK in him. Really dont get why he makes perfect sense for us when we have a much better Jack Johnson in Adam McQuaid that cant even crack our roster right now.

Here is an analyst with his take as well:

Why is there trade chatter about Jack Johnson? If you want 3rd pair guys who kill penalties with a little powerplay upside they come cheap every week on the waiver wire.
DTba1K0WkAAtnoa.jpg

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You guys can pine all you want for Jack Johnson or any other defenseman, but if he can't play the zone D they play here on the Bruins, he will suck just as much as Liles and every other rental D they brought in since Kaberle.

Of the 6 regular defenseman, 3 are Bruins picks and 2 are signed out of college and spent a year or two in the AHL. Only Chara came from another team. The next best D, McQuaid, is also a Bruin homegrown talent via trade; before the NHL he spent 2+ years being groomed him in the AHL first. Boychuk was an AHL reclamation project for a full year before joining the NHL Bruins. I can think of only Ferrence and Seidenberg as traded for defenseman that were able to adapt to this zone system since Chara. Maybe Aaron Ward was OK at the end of his career here.

The grass is always greener...but you might just be looking at weeds.

You can coach any D-man to play the zone/box-0ut D scheme that the Bruins use.

But the issue is when you bring guys in late at the deadline, they don't have a whole lot of time to get acclimated to the system. I recall Liles making comments about the adjustment coming from Carolina to what the Bruins were using at the time. Go down the list, Kaberle, Montador, etc. all had a tough adjustment to the system. About the only D who really grasped it fairly quick was Seidenberg, and even then it's hard to say because he got injured pretty quickly that year after being acquired.

If the Bruins are chasing a rental D, the sooner they can get him in and get him adjusted, the better.

Reactions: Strafer and 00BW

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Spooner for Johnson straight up makes me want to puke. I'd rather get the mid-level pick for Spooner than trade him for a pending UFA who is not an upgrade over anyone on the roster.

Reactions: Strafer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->