Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 II (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Spooner would quit hockey after 10 minutes with Tortorella. No thank you on Johnson. Rather play Krug and Gryz and I don’t want a rental.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Spooner would quit hockey after 10 minutes with Tortorella. No thank you on Johnson. Rather play Krug and Gryz and I don’t want a rental.

sam gagne finally learnt how to play hockey after 10 mins with tortorella... you can never know which players might respond well with this coach

kind of like mike keenen had strange favorites and surprise stars that he would feud with

that said ... with the lack of dmen around the nhl jack Johnson will fetch a much better return than spooner

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Why is there trade chatter about Jack Johnson? If you want 3rd pair guys who kill penalties with a little powerplay upside they come cheap every week on the waiver wire.

I think the intrigue comes from the fact that he's an experienced LHD, might come cheaper than otherwise expected (likely won't cost 1st round picks and top prospects), and still has an ideal skillset for what they need IMO. So you could potentially fill that 2nd unit PK/PP void and hopefully get the top-4 version of Jack Johnson as well? While also maintaining your top assets to possibly fill the other question mark up front. He's always been a bit of an enigma, but he apparently had very solid season for Columbus a year ago. Enough so that they gave him a letter on his sweater and discussed an extension in the fall. I don't think anyone is saying he's the answer or the difference maker, which at the same time, I can see why others would prefer to simply stay clear.

Reactions: Dabruins

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Would make Spooner even more valuable to the Jackets, no? RFA gives them just a smidgen more control over the situation.

Yes it would, and make Johnson less valuable to us.

2018-19: Either a RFA Spooner or nothing. Those are what the Bruins options are in regard to Johnson.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

2018-19: Either a RFA Spooner or nothing. Those are what the Bruins options are in regard to Johnson.

if spooner cant finish the year healthy and with at least a .5ppg pace then I think theres no way the team can offer him a qualifying offer. I admit I am impressed by his past 15 or so games... but ive been impressed by 15 games of spooner in the past. the spooner that ive seen for 70% of the time here the past 3 years cant play ahead of Bjork/heinen/debrusk next year and I suspect cant play ahead of jfk or cehlarik either.

rfa only has value if the player has value. my suspicion is that spooners value would be highest right in the middle of a hot streak

I mean... if someone thinks spooner will do this the rest of his career then obviously my song changes. spooner is a decent player when hes playing this way. but ive seen the little boy cry wolf once too often. hes not in my future plans for the team and that doesn't make his rfa status any more valuable to us

expiring contacts actually have more value than ones with too much term. our window where we are looking for help on defense isn't a long window. krug/mcavoy/carlo are obviously young. miller and chara both figure to be around a couple more years I think. and grezlyk has shown a pulse. once more kids are graduating into the pros over the next couple seasons we are going to be struggling to find room and once the current kids get their raise e are going to be struggling to find cap

it doesn't hurt us right now to bring in a vet with 1-2 years on the contract just to boost our short term chances at playoff success

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
AOF, You are right in that I would agree there is a good chance the Bruins will end up in a situation where they don't offer him a qualifying offer. But honestly that is not a major part of the calculus in my decision to keep him or deal him in the next 6 weeks.

The Bruins are contenders right now. If a deal becomes available where moving Spooner makes the Bruins a better team this year then yes I have no problem moving him. But when factoring that decision, I look at how bad off Boston depth at center becomes in that situation, because we can't afford a return to Tim Schaller skating second line center if an injury occurs

I have no concern about losing Spooner for nothing in the offseason if keeping him helps the team win this year

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don't really understand the Bruins being interested in Koekkoek? He's still young at 24, but he's not a better option than Grzelcyk? Unless they just like him as a potential depth piece with upside if given a chance? I don't know...Doesn't really make sense.

Reactions: DKH

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I don't really understand the Bruins being interested in Koekkoek? He's still young at 24, but he's not a better option than Grzelcyk? Unless they just like him as a potential depth piece with upside if given a chance? I don't know...Doesn't really make sense.

What doesn't make sense to me is Tampa trading anyone to us who could turn around and bite them in the sASSassafras in the playoffs. Is Kypreos even a credible source for rumors? I know that you didn't post this rumor but I've read comments that people here on HFB have written about him not being worth listening to.

Reactions: sarge88

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Maybe they are looking for a LD with some size besides Chara? Low risk, high reward with the belief a change of scenery can get his career back on track is a possibility or they just want to add to defensive depth.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What doesn't make sense to me is Tampa trading anyone to us who could turn around and bite them in the sASSassafras in the playoffs. Is Kypreos even a credible source for rumors? I know that you didn't post this rumor but I've read comments that people here on HFB have written about him not being worth listening to.

I guess to some degree this could be looked at as if Boston was considering trading Joe Morrow to Montreal last year. Would they have really feared what happend? Right now Koekkoek is basically down around that level of value

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
If anyone goes back to watch the Kypreos segment, he was saying that the Bruins *did* have interest in Koekkoek -- earlier in the season. The point of the segment was that TB was shopping him or teams were calling on him but Yzer.an decided against trading him in case of injuries.

All of this is to say that the Bruins are probably no longer interested now that Gryz has shown what he's capable of.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Depends on how you feel about Spooner and his future in Boston. I don't see RFA status as being particularly advantageous for a guy who's likely to be let go regardless.

People can argue Johnson's effectiveness. There's going to be differing views on the subject. But I'm not making the proposition based on anything other than him being a pure rental for the third pair. I like Gryz as much as the next fan, but if you think he's better than Johnson... Well, I just don't know what to tell ya. Love your enthusiasm, but...

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I was a big fan of Koekkoek during his draft year. He's taken a bit longer to develop than expected, but the guy has a top2 tool box.
Me too, Bill! Big big fan of his at the draft.

I have to confess, I haven't seen enough of him at the pro level to assess current value. From others' accounts, he sounds like another Cam Barker-like bust.

Gotta say though, when I read that my initial reaction was excitement.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
What do we think the B's can offer for OEL? He's publicly become available but the asking price is quite high.

What can we afford to lose, and is he worth the price to possibly demote Krug to 3rd pairing and Gryz/Quader to #7D.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
What do we think the B's can offer for OEL? He's publicly become available but the asking price is quite high.

What can we afford to lose, and is he worth the price to possibly demote Krug to 3rd pairing and Gryz/Quader to #7D.
I think the cost outweighs the return. Hard no from me.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017

I'd rather have Hjalmarsson. I think OEL suffers from such a bad case of "This guy is so underrated because he plays in (non hockey market)" that he is actually overrated.

Reactions: xgallantx

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
I'd rather have Hjalmarsson. I think OEL suffers from such a bad case of "This guy is so underrated because he plays in (non hockey market)" that he is actually overrated.
I think he’s very difficult to assess now. He’s hugely talented, but the question mark now is wether playing in that team and market for so long has affected him negatively. He’s been forced to do so much there for so long he appears to try too hard and tries to make the big/difficult play far too often. He appears (to me at least) to have forgotten how to make the right play and instead tries the decisive play if that makes any sense. It shines through when he plays for Sweden as well despite the talent around him there (especially on the blue line), which is a red flag.

That said, I love him as a player and he really could be the complete package 2-way D, or he was at least on the path to it just a couple of years ago. But as of now I wouldn’t give up what it’d take. Too much of a gamble with the team on the right path now. I bet a desperate team would though. If forced to guess I think he ends up in Detroit.

Reactions: pineapplestastegood

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
I think we should be more focused on the 1 forward that could put us right in the conversation. Who it is exactly I'm not sure but a top line winger to compliment Krejci I think is our biggest need, not a Dman. Having Mquaid/Gryz as our 6/7 is not too bad. Bringing in another guy at the dealine isn't a bad option in case heaven forbid we get last years injurues to our D all over again. Spooner has been pretty good lately but I think he can be upgraded on. Hoffman comes to mind as someone who is up for grabs. I'd prefer Stone, but I'd say Ottawa wants to hang onto him. Also we'd overpay to get Hoffman as Ottawa is a divisional opponent. I was kinda high on getting Perron but Vegas is playing to well to trade off their assests. Maybe targeting Dadonov or Vinny Trocheck :nod: would be nice. Again, within the division but I'd kick tires to see the value....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad