Injury Report: Bruins Injury Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
I the intrepid reporter will ask the question that's on everyone's mind....

Do athletes get flu shots or do they not?

... asking the questions the professionals should have already asked but have not for whatever reason, thanks to time on my hands due to unemployability....

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The Bruins placed David Krejci (upper body) on injured reserve on Thursday. He missed his third straight game against the Jets. He will not play on Saturday against Detroit. Cassidy declined to answer whether it was related to the back ailment that forced the No. 2 center out for 11 games . . . McQuaid remains on injured reserve. If McQuaid gets in a good practice on Friday, it’s possible he will be activated for Saturday’s game against Detroit. “We’re balancing practice time and pre with the whole group versus how the lineup’s going again,” Cassidy said. “I think the extra days can help Adam. Saturday, he could be potentially in.”

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I the intrepid reporter will ask the question that's on everyone's mind....

Do athletes get flu shots or do they not?

... asking the questions the professionals should have already asked but have not for whatever reason, thanks to time on my hands due to unemployability....

its probably up to the player I would guess. doesn't the flu shot only cover like 10% of the possible strains anyways?? its pretty much worthless.

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
its probably up to the player I would guess. doesn't the flu shot only cover like 10% of the possible strains anyways?? its pretty much worthless.

before i got the shots, i got the flu pretty much every year. since i started getting them, i've gotten the flu once, and that was the year i did not get the shot.

-anecdotes-

regardless, the point stands. who did get it? and do they now have the flu? seem like interesting questions that for whatever reason are never asked.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
before i got the shots, i got the flu pretty much every year. since i started getting them, i've gotten the flu once, and that was the year i did not get the shot.

-anecdotes-

regardless, the point stands. who did get it? and do they now have the flu? seem like interesting questions that for whatever reason are never asked.
I think they use the term “flu” with the same pinpoint accuracy as “upper body injury.”

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
I think they use the term “flu” with the same pinpoint accuracy as “upper body injury.”

true. plus, it's probably confidential since it's directly potentially related to other health issues like allergies. so maybe it's off limits to even ask. iunno.

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
With Krejci out again, Spooner faces his most important test. Can he step up and seize that #2C spot? Early returns look good but let’s see if he can sustain it.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
Times are different now, but I recall players showing up for morning skate with "flu-like" symptoms around the holidays and it had nothing to do with with a virus...

our whole team had flu-like symptoms the morning of the biggest game of our scholastic baseball careers.

we got throttled of course. i meself went down thrice. swinging at least. bus and bench reeked of booze. i'd say we were all hungover but really it would qualify as very much still drunk.

hashtag not an endorsement.

Last edited:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
our whole team had flu-like symptoms the morning of the biggest game of our scholastic baseball careers.

we got throttled of course. i meself went down thrice. swinging at least. bus and bench reeked of booze. i'd say we were all hungover but really it would qualify as very much still drunk.

hashtag not an endorsement.
Biggest game of you scholastic baseball career, and you and your teammates are hammered. Yikes

I would give Krecji as much time as possible. If the team is playing well, have him practice with no contact.
So far, it appears they can make the playoffs with out him, but they need him for the playoffs.
Let him rest up his back.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
It is starting to look like Krecji's back is so creaky that no amount of time off is going to help. He can be kept out and then when he plays again one hit or one twist of the body and he will be out again. Too bad while I think that his contract is an albatross he makes the team better when he plays.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It is starting to look like Krecji's back is so creaky that no amount of time off is going to help. He can be kept out and then when he plays again one hit or one twist of the body and he will be out again. Too bad while I think that his contract is an albatross he makes the team better when he plays.

Sweeney said on Felger and Mazz that it was unrelated to his previous back injury, but I know from experience that if you get a back injury in one spot, it has an impact on the muscles all over your back as your body overcompensates for pain or weakness in one area. If Krech is developing back problems, the only thing to do is what you said- sit him for as long as it takes to get it healed. Otherwise, he'll likely be day to day for the rest of the season and probably not as effective when he does play

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
With Krejci out again, Spooner faces his most important test. Can he step up and seize that #2C spot? Early returns look good but let’s see if he can sustain it.
Let’s hope he is up to the task,Krejci out of the lineup is a huge loss for this team.

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Let’s hope he is up to the task,Krejci out of the lineup is a huge loss for this team.

Agreed, krejci is one of those players who you sometimes don’t notice when he plays, but you absolutely notice it when he’s not in the lineup. Spoons looking good lately though so I’m optimistic.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
About 10 years ago I injured my back bad enough to go visit the hospital for special surgery in NYC after almost a year of rehab with no improvement, I saw one of the best spinal surgeons out there, I forget his name at the moment but I remember he had quite a resume full of professional athletes. After meeting with him and going over all of the lifestyle changes I would have to make once I got a lumbar fusion I got really freaked out and decided to stick out the rehab a few more months. After an additional 6 months or so of rehab and really paying attention to my mobility and actions the pain slowly subsided and hasn't returned to even close to that level since. At the time I never thought I would ever be normal again, I have aggravated the injury slightly here and there but haven't been even close to as bad as I was for that year or so of my life. Back injuries are a strange thing & as has been previously mentioned in this thread I do believe your entire body goes out of whack compensating for the injury which can really screw up your mobility for a long time. Coincidentally I was right around Krejci's current age at the time. Hopefully he gets past this without any long lasting lingering effects.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Adam McQuaid says he’s ‘itching to be back in’ for Bruins - The Boston Globe

Adam McQuaid’s broken right leg has healed but he’s still uncomfortable.
The rugged Bruin defenseman is caught between his full recovery and his return to the lineup. It’s an awkward place

Ryan Spooner and Riley Nash, who both missed Thursday’s game against Winnipeg because of illness, skated on their own before practice, purposely kept away from the rest of the team so as not to spread the illness. Cassidy anticipated both Spooner and Nash would play Saturday. Peter Cehlarik (lower-body injury) also skated before practice. Brad Marchand missed practice because of lingering illness, as did David Krejci (upper-body injury). David Backes, whose wife is expecting a baby, had a personal day .

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
About 10 years ago I injured my back bad enough to go visit the hospital for special surgery in NYC after almost a year of rehab with no improvement, I saw one of the best spinal surgeons out there, I forget his name at the moment but I remember he had quite a resume full of professional athletes. After meeting with him and going over all of the lifestyle changes I would have to make once I got a lumbar fusion I got really freaked out and decided to stick out the rehab a few more months. After an additional 6 months or so of rehab and really paying attention to my mobility and actions the pain slowly subsided and hasn't returned to even close to that level since. At the time I never thought I would ever be normal again, I have aggravated the injury slightly here and there but haven't been even close to as bad as I was for that year or so of my life. Back injuries are a strange thing & as has been previously mentioned in this thread I do believe your entire body goes out of whack compensating for the injury which can really screw up your mobility for a long time. Coincidentally I was right around Krejci's current age at the time. Hopefully he gets past this without any long lasting lingering effects.

And the craziest thing is that it normally has very little to do with the back. It’s usually an issue in other parts of your body (hips, hamstrings, etc.). Now if it’s truly a back injury, the recovery and prognosis is never good.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Dupes is saying back:

■ No telling how soon David Krejci (back woes) makes it back to the lineup. Yet another frequent object of fan ire, Krejci (14 points in 18 games this year) nonetheless remains a key to this season’s success. The Krejci-Patrice Bergeron combo as the anchors to the top two lines is something few teams can match for skill and output — particularly come playoff time. Vital for the Bruins to get him back.

Tuukka Rask driving Bruins’ recent surge - The Boston Globe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad