Injury Report: Bruins Injury Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Y'know, I was thinking to myself this morning...players usually don't schedule their doctor's appointments at the same time as a practice....

Bruins Issue Update On Charlie McAvoy

Some stuff from WebMD if you want to read about SVT (supraventricular tachycardia):

Supraventricular Tachycardia-Topic Overview

Basically, it's an overactive electrical connection in your heart - sort of like a short circuit, but it generally corrects itself after awhile. You feel palpitations, which is what he had back after the November 26 Oilers game. It might recur, or it might not...and it's generally confirmed via EKG. He's having a cardiac ablation, which is basically burning a tiny bit of your heart muscle that contains the faulty wiring. More info on that:

SVT ablation - Type - Mayo Clinic

He's expected to be out two weeks, and I imagine that's a fairly hard-and-fast minimum. It's not like an ankle where the timeline is flexible. The timing tells me the procedure wasn't emergent at all, and the fact that he's having it done after McQuaid coming back, AND during the brief ASG break, is probably not coincidental at all. Even if he'd had the procedure done during the bye week earlier this month, 2 weeks out would still take about 5 games.

Reactions: 00BW and Chief Nine

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Y'know, I was thinking to myself this morning...players usually don't schedule their doctor's appointments at the same time as a practice....

Bruins Issue Update On Charlie McAvoy

Some stuff from WebMD if you want to read about SVT (supraventricular tachycardia):

Supraventricular Tachycardia-Topic Overview

Basically, it's an overactive electrical connection in your heart - sort of like a short circuit, but it generally corrects itself after awhile. You feel palpitations, which is what he had back after the November 26 Oilers game. It might recur, or it might not...and it's generally confirmed via EKG. He's having a cardiac ablation, which is basically burning a tiny bit of your heart muscle that contains the faulty wiring. More info on that:

SVT ablation - Type - Mayo Clinic

He's expected to be out two weeks, and I imagine that's a fairly hard-and-fast minimum. It's not like an ankle where the timeline is flexible. The timing tells me the procedure wasn't emergent at all, and the fact that he's having it done after McQuaid coming back, AND during the brief ASG break, is probably not coincidental at all. Even if he'd had the procedure done during the bye week earlier this month, 2 weeks out would still take about 5 games.

Don't understand why this wasn't done during the week they had off.
Oh well. Gives him a break, and keeps McQuaid in for some playing time.

Okay, that was insensitive.
Health is number 1 priority.
Get well Charlie.

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Don't understand why this wasn't done during the week they had off.
Oh well. Gives him a break, and keeps McQuaid in for some playing time.

Let's see if there's a period where he could be off 5 games for longer than 2 weeks, with the ablation happening on a non-holiday weekday.

11/27-12/12 contains five games, and is 2 weeks and 1 day. But it would require lightning fast decision making and scheduling - his first symptoms were supposedly 11/26. I don't think you go from "my heart's beating fast" to "let's burn the heart" in 12 hours, and getting the right doctor to do the ablation...plus, you have to stop eating the morning of the procedure. So, you'd lose at the very least one day on the front end, to make it 11/28-12/12 for 2 weeks.

11/30-12/13 contains five games, and is one day shorter.

12/5-12/17 contains five games, and is also one day under 2 weeks.

The rest of December is pretty packed.

12/26-1/5 would have had five games scheduled with the PPD game that we didn't know about. Still under 2 weeks.

12/29-1/12 would have five games and the bye week, and is exactly 2 weeks. But I wouldn't exactly want an elective heart procedure on the last Friday of the year.

1/3-1/16 would have five games, but is just a smidge under 2 weeks.

1/8-1/22 would be five games and exactly 2 weeks.

1/16-1/29 is five games and just under 2 weeks.

1/19-2/2 i five games and exactly 2 weeks.

Our current window is 1/22-2/5. He does come back on a B2B roadtrip, assuming he's healthy in exactly 2 weeks, and if not his missed games jump from 5 to 7. My guess is they didn't do him earlier because they wanted to make sure McQuaid was ready.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Definitely in a vulnerable position. Will Ritchie get a call? Like someone said, if it was Marchand, there'd be a automatic suspension.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
That is great news, knowing the NHL they will use that as an excuse as to why Ritchie won't get a suspension.
Pastrnak got suspended without injuring Girardi. Suspension or no suspension, I'm glad Backes is ok though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00