Injury Report: Bruins Injury Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
My favorite baseball team is the Mets. Google some stuff in their injuries this year. Bruins seem to have a crazy amount this year. Could have something to do w conditioning considering the strains. They seem to have a lot of injuries caused by other players running them though.
Whoa, sounds like your the common denominator. Injury bug follows teams you like.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
David Krejci (upper body) and Adam McQuaid (broken fibula) both skated ahead of the Bruins' optional practice on Thursday, while Anders Bjork (undisclosed) joined the group for the official session, which was heavy on skill work.
"Krech is still day-to-day, he went out and skated a little bit today, so that might be better answered tomorrow with him [if he can play on Saturday]," said Cassidy. "Bjork is progressing well so he's a potential for Saturday…we're trending.
"McQuaid is skating, he's still on his same rehab protocol…I'm not sure exactly what the exact date of his return is but he's on schedule."
Jake DeBrusk (upper body) did not skate and has not been ruled out for Saturday, but is not as far along as the other, according to Cassidy.

McAvoy's Monster Night Was Quite a Lift

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

This is the reverse-domino effect, and it's great for the Bruins. If we'd had Marchand, Krejci, Bergeron, and whoever the hell else, and they'd been out right now, it might have hurried DeBrusk into getting ready. With Cehlarik as the only other forward out (unless I'm forgetting someone?), we're finally in good shape.

I'll be back here after the game tonight to apologize for the jinx.

As far as McQuaid, when he got injured, they set his ETA as next week. I don't think they've updated that, but it's good that he's at least on the ice. With Cehlarik they said "to be reevaluated in 4 weeks", or basically "Do Not Open Until Xmas".

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Spooner missed practice this morning and may be ailing again, so that may solve the forward issue for the time being if Debrusk returns.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I thought of this semi-sarcastically earlier today, but I wonder if there's something deeper going on with all these injuries we've had so far this year - in particular, with the training staff.

Yes, some of the injuries have absolutely nothing to do with the staff...and, as an example, Backes' swift return is a testament to his work ethic in his training AND the knowledge of the staff around him.

But I'm starting to wonder if the Bruins aren't working out properly, either off-ice or on-ice. Whether it's working out too hard, working out too easy, or just "doing the wrong stuff", something's up. Yes, it could be just a series of unfortunate events...and when multiple players get sidelined, every injured player has got to feel the pressure to get back fast, which causes a domino effect, because "fast" doesn't equal "good".

The only thing I really know for sure is that John Whitesides left as the strength/conditioning coach at the start of the 2016-7 season to work on community fitness - and he'd been there for 15 years. Are there growing pains with the new guy? Bad luck? Or a bad fit?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Should know more about Cehlarik soon. The Cehlarik Krejci Pasta line needs to be reunited. Bjork back with Berg and March. I would give Heinen a look at C 3rd line with Spooner Backes.
How soon on Cehlarik? What's new that I missed?

Last official word I read was that he will be re-evaluated in four weeks. That was a week/ten days ago.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I entertained the thought that Whiteside's departure might have been in response to the injuries. It began on his watch and continued for several seasons.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I thought of this semi-sarcastically earlier today, but I wonder if there's something deeper going on with all these injuries we've had so far this year - in particular, with the training staff.

Yes, some of the injuries have absolutely nothing to do with the staff...and, as an example, Backes' swift return is a testament to his work ethic in his training AND the knowledge of the staff around him.

But I'm starting to wonder if the Bruins aren't working out properly, either off-ice or on-ice. Whether it's working out too hard, working out too easy, or just "doing the wrong stuff", something's up. Yes, it could be just a series of unfortunate events...and when multiple players get sidelined, every injured player has got to feel the pressure to get back fast, which causes a domino effect, because "fast" doesn't equal "good".

The only thing I really know for sure is that John Whitesides left as the strength/conditioning coach at the start of the 2016-7 season to work on community fitness - and he'd been there for 15 years. Are there growing pains with the new guy? Bad luck? Or a bad fit?

Along with Backes, you can forget McQuaid. It came from blocking a shot.
And you can forget some of those dreaded "upper body injuries'. No amount of training is going to prevent those.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I don't think so. Majority of injuries have been broken bones, concussions, unrelated to hockey stuff. Things that no trainer can stop -- only get them back as quickly as possible.

Even the more traditional knee injuries have been a result of clear knee on knee hits.

The only two that stand out to me as core strength sort of stuff are Krejci's back (and let's face it -- with hip surgeries, etc., back's will happen) and Spooner's abdominal.

Think it's luck and nothing else.......... and, as you point out, I think we've had guys come back into fold sooner than we'd hoped. Assuming they aren't rushed that would speak to a good trainer team.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
When healthy , showcase and trade the duplicates. Team is on a role without a lot if these guys, why screw up the roster.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

I can see the thought process of trading McQuaid, but unless he brings a healthy return I keep him. Rotate him in , giving all the D a break , and
have him available for the playoffs. We all know how last playoffs went with injuries to the D.

Same with Spooner. Shop him, and if you get a great deal do it. If this team continues to progress through out the year, come playoffs you
never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad