Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
He is a one trick pony, and a redundancy...
He needs to be packaged with a pick for a D...

He won't be missed...

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Brock Nelson: A pathetic blend of Oleg Kvasha, Brian Rolston (obviously the version we got), and Marty Reasoner.

If only he played like every month of the season was October.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Nelson is what he is. He won't give you much physical play at all but he will score you 20 goals as he has a good shot and pretty good skill which he showed on the last goal he scored.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
This is ugly... I looked at Islander's stats and saw that Brock Nelson is still under 10 points and wouldn't you know it... this guy who is a defensive liability and exists in the lineup for his offense has this state line over the last 14 games going back to October and he has been moved around and played with half the roster,

1 Goal
0 Assists
1 Point

This is link to game log

Brock Nelson

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He's pretty consistent at being inconsistent and will still finish with 20+ goals. Hopefully he wakes up soon.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
He's pretty consistent at being inconsistent and will still finish with 20+ goals. Hopefully he wakes up soon.

14 games with 1 goal and no assists, if he is in an elevated role next year because of departures we are in big trouble, this is not a guy you can ever count on, and even if you aren't scoring goals you should have a few assists, this guy is on the PP... he is an emerging problem

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
14 games with 1 goal and no assists, if he is in an elevated role next year because of departures we are in big trouble, this is not a guy you can ever count on, and even if you aren't scoring goals you should have a few assists, this guy is on the PP... he is an emerging problem
Nelson will get hot again and other guys will cool down.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The 2nd PP cannot be treated like the 1st in terms of expectation of points. I won't dispute that he's playing poorly, because he is, but he's also done this sort of thing before. Then he gets hot, then he cools again. He's not a reliable source of offense night in and night out.

If we have enough departures where he's expected to perform better than usual, we're already in trouble. I think he should be traded at the deadline.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Yeah weve seen enough of Nelson. Isnt a centre and really is too big of a weenie to play wing. I would trade him in a heartbeat.

Reactions: periferal

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I have long been critical of Nelson for:

- lack of strength/balance
- slow reaction time
- fading after October

But with that said, I fully expect he will heat up again because he usually does. He is always pretty good for 20 goals. But the other parts of his game are still pretty weak.

Hopefully, the prospects of his goal scoring ability is enough for another team to accept a him in a package at the deadline.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don’t understand why people are surprised that Nelson is a heartless bum. Same as he’s always been.
This is Nelson. He’ll get hot again and cool off and look useless again. Can’t depend on him for consistent production. Another one to trade high on Nelson when that time occurs.

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Brock Nelson needs to be on a rebuilding team where there is no pressure ad he can be a top 6 forward while he learns his craft. With Bellows on his way up and other players needing that money soon, his days here are numbered IMO. I'd rather trade him and use that freed money to bring back CDH.... replace him with a cheaper defensive minded forward to further insulate JHS.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
He's Brian Savage 2.0, aka the original Mr. October. The de Haan of forwards. Serves a purpose, but Snow won't invest into him for too much or for too long. I think he'll get a one or two year deal. That cap space will be for Mr. Barzal.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Wonder if we could deal nelson for Scandella. Nelson could join other sluggish former Isles and await Cappy to replace Phil Housley LOL

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I don't think Brock Nelson on his own is going to net you anything good, especially a top 4 D. Best bet is to find a rebuilding team with an early 2nd or extra late 1st rounder they're willing to give up on the chance he puts it together with a change of scenery.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't think Brock Nelson on his own is going to net you anything good, especially a top 4 D. Best bet is to find a rebuilding team with an early 2nd or extra late 1st rounder they're willing to give up on the chance he puts it together with a change of scenery.

Did the team get too fast for Nelson?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
He's getting 1.5 min less a game. His SH% is where it was the season he scored 26 goals... he's just not getting as many shots off. He's on pace for 148 shots which would be hos lowest total since his rookie season. I attribute this to him getting less touches because of the reduced minutes and lowered place in the lineup.

FWIW, he's still on pace for 20g despite this ice cold streak he's been on.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I’d trade him for the best return possible. If that is prospects and picks, so be it. We can turn those assets and one of our 1sts into something useful.

Reactions: SI90

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Except when he's not scoring he hurts your team and he goes scoreless MUCH more than he scores. First guy I would ship off this team in a trade and wouldn't regret it for a second.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Not sure why people have to make arguments for what a player MIGHT do as opposed to what he's actually DOING. No one has to make excuses for guys like Leddy, Barzal, Tavares, etc, but with Nelson, "Yeah - He sucks now, but just wait..."

Sorry - When the playoffs come you don't have time to wait. You need players who bring it every shift. And unless the puck magically winds up on Nelson's stick so he can use his excellent shot, he gets outworked basically every time. Nothing is more unacceptable.

You guys can sit in the waiting room. I'm moving on.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Not sure why people have to make arguments for what a player MIGHT do as opposed to what he's actually DOING. No one has to make excuses for guys like Leddy, Barzal, Tavares, etc, but with Nelson, "Yeah - He sucks now, but just wait..."

Sorry - When the playoffs come you don't have time to wait. You need players who bring it every shift. And unless the puck magically winds up on Nelson's stick so he can use his excellent shot, he gets outworked basically every time. Nothing is more unacceptable.

His last 14 game log looks like what Jared Boll would put up except he would have hits, and PIMS... only illustrating how useless Nelson is, 14 games is more than 16% of the season, this is a team that is scoring goals like no tomorrow, stats are being padded up, it is as if, the Isles went to a Chinese buffet for 14 games straight and everyone gained 30 pounds and Nelson is being hooked up to IV for emaciation

Reactions: periferal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The majority here have said we'd be interested in trading him. Unfortunately, there aren't enough players who bring it every shift to be on every team in the NHL. Even the cup winners have guys similar to Nelson on their roster. You must have realistic expectations when evaluating players and coaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad