Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I agree. Just not for scraps. Package him for something more impactful.

If Isles can deal him to Minnesota for picks and then turn those picks into a package with Pulock for OEL or maybe even Ristolainen then they have done their part

The deal with your bottom 6 guys are that they should have some ability to score goals but those are mostly your pk guys and break guys, the Isles have so much offense now in their top 6 they can carry a bottom 6 of:

Beau/Cizikas/JHS
Chimera/Quine/Clutter

And you have Bernier up to punish a slacker

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Here's my deal, I'm fine with a player going stretches without scoring. I'm fine with players that aren't that good defensively. I'm not fine with players that don't score, don't play good defense, don't win faceoffs and don't hit. At least Kulemin was solid defensively so he wasn't useless when he wasn't scoring. Clutterbuck is strong on the PK, hits and draws penalties. I can't point to anything that Nelson brings to the table when he isn't putting the puck in the net.... he doesn't even dig in the corners or set up anyone else for offense. Open up the dictionary and look under passenger, there's a picture of Nelson ... probably sliding down the ice on his ass, but nowhere near the front of the net or in a corner with the puck.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If given the chance to replace Nelson with another Clutterbuck, I wouldn't hesitate. I'll trade off 10 less goals for a heartbeat every single time.

I could not agree with this more. And everyone else here should as well if you want to win the Cup. Players like Nelson will wilt during playoff hockey and become even less valuable.

Reactions: bigtim1988

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
If given the chance to replace Nelson with another Clutterbuck, I wouldn't hesitate. I'll trade off 10 less goals for a heartbeat every single time.

This is spot on... if a guy whose sole purpose is to be an offensive player puts up Vukota numbers over a 14 game stretch then that player can be replaced by what you describe. Guys in the bottom 6 do not need to score goals they need to either kill PK"s, hit people, work the boards, drive possession or fight

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This is spot on... if a guy whose sole purpose is to be an offensive player puts up Vukota numbers over a 14 game stretch then that player can be replaced by what you describe. Guys in the bottom 6 do not need to score goals they need to either kill PK"s, hit people, work the boards, drive possession or fight

Maybe 10+ years ago that was the case. In today's NHL, your 3rd line needs to be a threat to score.

Again, I'm fine with trading him. But something valuable must be coming back. If it's picks, they need to be flipped immediately for something else.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Not sure how much demand there is for Nelson around the league. He's a big player with a wicked shot and I'd be rid of him in a heartbeat. I wonder if there was any discussion with ANA on the Vatanen deal - imagine a Nelson/DalColle for Vatanen type deal - that would seem doable.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Our first and Nelson for a team's top 10 pick...Deep and good draft..we should at least come out with a solid top 3 or top 2 prospect, which s a lot more than we get from Nelson right now.

My biggest problem with Nelson and players like him...wtf? HOW can you play an entire game with NO hits??? It's a freaking checking game. EVERY player should register at least 1 hit per game! For me, every player should register a hit per shift. He's so lazy that he doesn't finish his checks...

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
He looked good last night. If we could get that effort out of him every night, I think that’s a player we could be happy with. He made some good plays and got himself on the scoreboard. Maybe Beauvillier Nelson Ho Sang can be a good third line for us. Nelson may feel the need to work harder when he’s paired with those two because he’s the Vet and they’re the inexperienced young guys. That feeling of responsibility for the line maybe what he needs to light a fire.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I can't believe we're giving a player credit for "playing with heart" once a month.

I believe we can file that under, "wang standards."

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
I can't believe we're giving a player credit for "playing with heart" once a month.

I believe we can file that under, "wang standards."
are you quoting me? All I said was last night he played with heart and fire. That's it. Jeez. Guess you missed the part where I said too bad its once a month.

Reactions: Svengoolie

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
He had one of his better games of the season and he was still invincible. I am not ready to throw the towel in on Brock quite yet, but I'm getting there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad