Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006
I believe he has the ability to score 30 goals and post 80 points. It's his drive that holds him back. The fact that he can't even crack 50 points should tell you all you need to know. When guys like Anders Lee, Josh Bailey and Ryan Strome have all surpassed that mark with equal or lesser talent.

Yeah, and what are his flaws? I'm willing to accept a player that reaches his peak because of low talent level. I refuse to accept a player that can't reach their potential because they don't put in the effort. You don't win when you're depending on players like that
I agree that his drive, and willingness to engage physically holds him back. But I'm not seeing any way in which he's scoring 80 points. Replace his motor with Cizikas or Beauvillier and I still don't think he comes close. It's a level that about 5-8 guys hit every year nowadays. Brock Nelson wastes a considerable amount of talent, but I don't think he's anywhere close to being the 5th-10th most talented forward in the league.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I agree that his drive, and willingness to engage physically holds him back. But I'm not seeing any way in which he's scoring 80 points. Replace his motor with Cizikas or Beauvillier and I still don't think he comes close. It's a level that about 5-8 guys hit every year nowadays. Brock Nelson wastes a considerable amount of talent, but I don't think he's anywhere close to being the 5th-10th most talented forward in the league.

I'd settle for 25g and 55-60pts.... I don't see him being able to hit that mark that's my point!

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
My beef with Nelson is that he absolutely has the ability to be a 30+ goal scoring 80+ point center. It would be fine if he was just a 20g 40pt center... but his indifference drags the team down and costs added production from his wingers and causes goals against. That bit of intensity he's missing makes a world of difference when it comes to winning battles... winning corner battles is what keeps your team on offense, gets the puck out of your own zone and into transition.

The winning goal the other night could be a case study on exactly why this is important.

Are you vacationing in Colorado?

JT hasn't hit 80 points in two seasons, Anze Kopitar has never hit 80 points. Nelson is a square peg in a round hole, that hole being the #2C Slot. Largely a result of Snow letting Nielsen walk and failing to find a suitable replacement.

Nelson puts up 30 goals and 80 points in the AHL, maybe.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Are you vacationing in Colorado?

JT hasn't hit 80 points in two seasons, Anze Kopitar has never hit 80 points. Nelson is a square peg in a a round hole, that hole being the #2C Slot. Largely a result of Snow letting Nielsen walk and failing to find a suitable replacement.

Nelson puts up 30 goals and 80 points in the AHL, maybe.

I believe he has the talent to hit those marks, but you're missing my point. He certainly has the ability to hit 25g-60pts regularly. He's matched the goal total exactly one time in his 4 years and hasn't even hit 50 points. These are baseline type numbers you would expect from a 2nd liner.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I believe he has the talent to hit those marks, but you're missing my point. He certainly has the ability to hit 25g-60pts regularly. He's matched the goal total exactly one time in his 4 years and hasn't even hit 50 points. These are baseline type numbers you would expect from a 2nd liner.

Key word: Liner (not center)

Point totals alone should not justify Nelson playing Center, since the position comes with tremendous responsibility including but not limited to

• Winning corner battles
  • Backchecking
  • Winning Faceoffs

Nelson does none of the above with regularity or consistency. If you want Nelson to put up 80 Points, get NHL 18 please...

Reactions: WangMustGo

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Everyone’s beef with the guy simply comes down to their expectation of him.

I have no beef with Nelson. I feel strongly he is being misused. Ideally, he is a LW with a Playmaking center. Though, since it seems he will remain #2C.

Perhaps playing with Ho-Sang works out, but it is by all means a very unconventional and risky approach to take with a 2nd Line.

Nelson is an opportunist, bottom line. If he plays with someone who opens up the ice for him and can get him the puck, he will put it in the net (and no one can knock that).

I still think he lacks the tenacity to drive a line and 44% career in the dot is not enough for me to call him a top-6 NHL center. Complimentary LW, absolutely.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't get the Nelson hate on this board, he is what he is. Simple fact is the guy is a top 6 LW who for whatever reason gets slotted at center on the Islanders

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't get the Nelson hate on this board, he is what he is. Simple fact is the guy is a top 6 LW who for whatever reason gets slotted at center on the Islanders

The hate would be for the dispassionate play. For any team having a player that gives up on the puck after a turnover, does not act phased when he goes offsides on a play or causes a play to go off sides or doesn't retaliate if he gets a glove to the face.. is a carcinogenic.

Lazy play that lacks passion will seep into roster like wild fire if a player continues to play top 6 minutes and create that attitude, and that is what causes the Nelson hate.

Despite the listlessness, I have hope that he will outgrow it, but no that it is a longshot

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
He is one of the most lazy and soft players I have ever seen.

Nelson has his flaws but this is a little over the top... he didn't look to soft or lazy driving to the net, out positioning his defender and burying a goal the other night vs. NJ

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
He is one of the most lazy and soft players I have ever seen.
Nelson has his flaws but this is a little over the top... he didn't look to soft or lazy driving to the net, out positioning his defender and burying a goal the other night vs. NJ

Huh? Puck is 100% on target. Nelson would be soft at any height/weight, but he is 6'3/212 pounds making it even worse. Name some players softer than Nelson. You'll have to search the rest of the NHL because they're not on the Islanders.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
He definitely got more grid today. Still think he would be more suitable for LW not center because he is not good at the dot and not the best back checker and take away guy. He should be the sniper on the line not the set up guy and he had a lot of success 1st year going to the net and playing in front on the PP. I think when Quine comes back healthy they need to put him at 4th center and has Cizikas playing 3rd line and Barzal 2nd line or vice versa if Barzal needs more time to adjust. There is another thing, if they can't resign Nelson they need to put him in position to score more goals to jack up his trade value to return a good prospect or good pick instead losing a young 1st rounder for nothing when his contract expires. He is from Minny and if he can score Isles may be able to trade him there as the Wild do have a pretty good prospect pool.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Very impressed with how Nelson has begun the season. He is throwing his body around more and going to the net as well.

Every year he seems to put on a bit more weight. He has a thin lanky frame and it appears that it has/is taking him longer than other players to bulk up. I could be wrong, but it also seems that he starts off pretty strongly; takes a few heavy hits and starts to wear down after a month.

I've been critical of his flaws, but not because I want him to fail. I hope he overcomes them and continues to add more value to the team. If he can improve his strength and balance he can be a lesser version "Blake Wheeler" maybe a "James van Riemsdyk"

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Every year he seems to put on a bit more weight. He has a thin lanky frame and it appears that it has/is taking him longer than other players to bulk up. I could be wrong, but it also seems that he starts off pretty strongly; takes a few heavy hits and starts to wear down after a month.

I've been critical of his flaws, but not because I want him to fail. I hope he overcomes them and continues to add more value to the team. If he can improve his strength and balance he can be a lesser version "Blake Wheeler" maybe a "James van Riemsdyk"

Does he really play similar to either guy, though? Even if you consider him a "lesser" version, he'd still have to play a somewhat similar game.

Wheeler is a legitimate high end playmaker. Nelson never struck me as a guy who was very creative or very good at passing. His bread and butter seems to be as a goal scorer. And vanRiemsdyk scores most of his goals in front of the net. Nelson doesn't really seem to drive the net or set up shop within 5 feet of the net.

That actually brings up an interesting discussion. If Nelson wasn't so soft or was more consistent in his offensive game, which current star player does he resemble the most, stylistically speaking? Maybe I'm off, but I don't see either Wheeler or JVR in Nelson, even when Nelson's on his game.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Does he really play similar to either guy, though? Even if you consider him a "lesser" version, he'd still have to play a somewhat similar game.

Wheeler is a legitimate high end playmaker. Nelson never struck me as a guy who was very creative or very good at passing. His bread and butter seems to be as a goal scorer. And vanRiemsdyk scores most of his goals in front of the net. Nelson doesn't really seem to drive the net or set up shop within 5 feet of the net.

That actually brings up an interesting discussion. If Nelson wasn't so soft or was more consistent in his offensive game, which current star player does he resemble the most, stylistically speaking? Maybe I'm off, but I don't see either Wheeler or JVR in Nelson, even when Nelson's on his game.

He'd be a completely different player, so who knows. He has the size and reach to do things other players only dream about, but he's so soft on his stick and is reluctant to use his body so he can't take advantage.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Eh, it was late at night... I wasn't trying to find an exact stylistic player as much as looking at players of similar physical stature. I was mostly addressing Nelson and his lack of balance and strength. Both JVR and Wheeler are similarly tall rangy players with good mobility like Nelson, but both are significantly stronger on their feet, stick and bodies overall.

My point is if Nelson improved his strength and balance he would be closer to them in their ability to maintain the puck and his balance. Do I think that would translate to the same level of production, no because they are both much better players.

Stylistically I would say Nelson is closer to JVR (Shooter) than Wheeler (Playmaker and overall bigger). JVR has put up 30 goals a couple of times and averaged in the 50-62 point range the past 3-4 years. Nelson with his mentioned flaws has averaged 22 goals 42 points. If he addressed the issues I mentioned, I don't think putting up 25 goals and 50 points would be outlandish. I would put that as a "lesser JVR." Wheeler is in the 70-80 point stratosphere, Nelson would need some Bruce Banner style Gamma Rays to get there.

EDIT: Forgot to mention... I actually feel like he does go to the net at the beginning of the year and that's how many of his goals are scored early on. In his second year, He had 3-4 bounce off of him from Boychuk shots. As the season progresses he seems to get rocked regularly and start shying away.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad