Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Hey Guys,
I was surprised to see very little discussion about Brock Nelson on here....

Last year almost put up thirty goals, This year has amazing pace but I look at his ice time and he seems to have very low TOI at times despite being a top 6 player....

Whats the deal? Does he get PP time? Is he a legit top 6 player? Last year, 26 goals with 15 minutes of ice time is pretty damn impressive... He's pacing to be about the same this year but no one talks about him...

Some insight?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Hey Guys,
I was surprised to see very little discussion about Brock Nelson on here....

Last year almost put up thirty goals, This year has amazing pace but I look at his ice time and he seems to have very low TOI at times despite being a top 6 player....

Whats the deal? Does he get PP time? Is he a legit top 6 player? Last year, 26 goals with 15 minutes of ice time is pretty damn impressive... He's pacing to be about the same this year but no one talks about him...

Some insight?

Big player that plays small. Seemingly afraid of getting hit. Has great offensive talent but almost none of his 26 goals were clutch; either scores the first goal of the game or the fourth or fifth late in the game when a win is already within the Islanders grasp. Crapuano is obsessed with him playing center despite the fact that he'd likely be even more effective at wing, which would also clear up the log-jam that the Isles have at center. However, he is pretty decent at the face-off dot.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
His goal scoring his by far his best attribute. It's a shame he's as big as he is, because more is expected of him. He should use his size a lot more and doesn't. He also never gets angry and hits back, which he really needs to do more often. I do like Brock a lot though, and at this point I'm protecting him in expansion over Strome.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
talaneted enough, maybe a good second line winger, great shot, slow release, falls down too much, he can really disappear for long stretches. Nelson kinda reminds me of Okposo who had better numbers than his game warranted IMO.

Glad he's off to a good start and I hope it continues.

Anders Lee has been a complete disaster. So ineffective and slow, he can be a hell of a lot better! hopefully soon.

Clutcherbuck

Feb 28, 2007
Albany, NY
Ridiculously inconsistent. For a while he looks great then weeks will go by and you'll wonder if he's even playing.

Same with Anders Lee... well, Lee is worse.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
talaneted enough, maybe a good second line winger, great shot, slow release, falls down too much, he can really disappear for long stretches. Nelson kinda reminds me of Okposo who had better numbers than his game warranted IMO.

Anders Lee has been a complete disaster. So ineffective and slow, he can be a hell of a lot better! hopefully soon.

Lee is being used incorrectly...I know, shocking.

Nelson reminds me of Brad Isbister. A big kid who plays like he's 5' 8", granted Nelson scores more goals, but hes invisible and then pops one in. Maybe Mariusz Czerkawski is a better example when describing his ability to vanish and end up on the score sheet. The fact he has an Eli Manning confused look on his face all the time doesn't help.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Streaky goalscorer with a really vanilla game. If he's not scoring, it doesn't really seem like he's doing anything else. This may be a personal preference, but he doesn't use his stick well enough to make up for his inability or unwillingness to use his size.

Also, he's shooting 6.3% above his career average so one of his slumps is likely on the way.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Brock is anti-clutch, he scores goals when the game is out of reach (both on the winning side and losing side) and doesn't show up when the team needs him to. The numbers are there but not when it's important.

He's also a "looks like tarzan, plays like jane" guy. If you didn't know anything about the other team and looked over in warmups, you would think he's the stud of the team. Frustrating to watch with his size and skill.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Yeah, I don't want to derail the thread, but one goal so far?

It's a shame that he's been taken on the 1PP, that was really the main reason he has so much success in the past.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
Brock has an A+ wrist shot and a D+ everything else.. So frustrating how little hustle we see out of him.. BUT Has anyone else noticed that when on the PK (which is new for him this year I think), he plays hard, fast, hustles.. Someone just needs to trick him every shift into thinking he's killing a penalty. I've said for a while now, I think he's a "sell high" type of guy right now.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Big guy who plays small. Has a good shot, should be on the wing. Terrible in the faceoff dot. 2nd line left wing at best

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I agree with your consensus of Brock, but why do you phrase this as a bad thing? First goals are supposed to set the tone of the game. (we just don't do that well as a team when we do).

Fair point. However, first goals are rarely game-winners so it speaks to Brock not coming though in pressure situations.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, I don't want to derail the thread, but one goal so far?

It's a shame that he's been taken on the 1PP, that was really the main reason he has so much success in the past.

thread, derailed, starting, now.

I think with Ladd's contract/disappearance and the Isles' struggles, not much attention has been focused on Lee's play, which has been terrible.

agree with isles31 that he's been used incorrectly. If he's not on the PP then he really needs to drive the net hard and play with players who put pucks to the net.

Wouldn't mind seeing Lee-Zeeker-Cal for a few shifts here and there. The new 4th line could easily be Kulemin - Quine - Chimera

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
This is the Brock I accept.

9 through the first 9. Might get 2 through the next 11. All the while, he has contributed through the first 20 games. I can handle this, I get this and recognize this is what it is.

6'4 but plays 5'8? Fine if he goes through a 9 game streak going point per game while the top line stinks.

Now, let's talk playoffs. When we get in the dance and he's nowhere to be found? That's the Nelson I hate.

22 goals and then 26 with 23 being even strength? That's great goal scoring production. 3 goals in 18 playoff games? That's what is going to hold you back in my eyes.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
This is the Brock I accept.

9 through the first 9. Might get 2 through the next 11. All the while, he has contributed through the first 20 games. I can handle this, I get this and recognize this is what it is.

6'4 but plays 5'8? Fine if he goes through a 9 game streak going point per game while the top line stinks.

Now, let's talk playoffs. When we get in the dance and he's nowhere to be found? That's the Nelson I hate.

22 goals and then 26 with 23 being even strength? That's great goal scoring production. 3 goals in 18 playoff games? That's what is going to hold you back in my eyes.

Lack of playoff production further illustrates that he's no good in the crunch.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
There's a reason why Brian Compton calls him Mr. October. He'll show up major in the beginning of the season and then goes invisible throughout the rest of the season.

One of my biggest gripes with Nelson is that he's so weak on his skates. He doesn't know how to hold his position and with the slightest bump he takes, he falls on his face. A guy like Alan Quine who is much smaller than Brock, can hold his position better than Nelson. He's 6'4, 210 and he plays like he's 5'6, 140.

Also, he doesn't have the passion that I think all of us want out of him. He just looks like he's there for the ride, sometimes coasting along, who has a wicked shot. The talent is very much there, but the heart doesn't look like it is when he plays.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I have no complaints about Nelson this year, playing very well, and off to a great start. I wish they would put Lee back with Tavares, and on the PP1, he is a beast in front of the net. Excellent at screening the goalie and tipping shots, that's his bread and butter.

ilovemarkmessier

Oct 13, 2011
New York
Lee is being used incorrectly...I know, shocking.

Nelson reminds me of Brad Isbister. A big kid who plays like he's 5' 8", granted Nelson scores more goals, but hes invisible and then pops one in. Maybe Mariusz Czerkawski is a better example when describing his ability to vanish and end up on the score sheet. The fact he has an Eli Manning confused look on his face all the time doesn't help.

Capuano is not good with young talent. If he gets this team to the playoffs he should be coach of the year for sure.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
For his career, not including this year, 44 goals total from October to January and 16 February to April.

Nuff said.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Brock Nelson is the perfect player to trade out West. A team will look at his size and stat sheet and not recognize the way he actually plays since they almost never see him throughout the season.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Streaky goalscorer with a really vanilla game. If he's not scoring, it doesn't really seem like he's doing anything else. This may be a personal preference, but he doesn't use his stick well enough to make up for his inability or unwillingness to use his size.

Also, he's shooting 6.3% above his career average so one of his slumps is likely on the way.

The textbook identification of Chow. Nelson is ChowII.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I have no complaints about Nelson this year, playing very well, and off to a great start. I wish they would put Lee back with Tavares, and on the PP1, he is a beast in front of the net. Excellent at screening the goalie and tipping shots, that's his bread and butter.

But will you still love him in March?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad