Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles are unlikely to dump Nelson and his 20 goals a yr,no matter how he frustrates fans.
Unless he gets to much in arbitration next summer or is used in a trade package,I do not see the whipping boy er Nelson, going anywhere.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The majority here have said we'd be interested in trading him. Unfortunately, there aren't enough players who bring it every shift to be on every team in the NHL. Even the cup winners have guys similar to Nelson on their roster. You must have realistic expectations when evaluating players and coaches.

If Nelson puts up 1-0-1 over 14 games, I will take Steve Bernier over him any day of the week, he brings it every shit, and I am sure is good for 2 points in 14 games

Reactions: periferal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If Nelson puts up 1-0-1 over 14 games, I will take Steve Bernier over him any day of the week, he brings it every ****, and I am sure is good for 2 points in 14 games

Then at some point fans will complain that Bernier isn't good and that his hustle just isn't enough, and how we need to raise our standards. My point is that there is a finite amount of players that do all the little things right and produce. Nelson, if he reverts back to his 20 goal scoring self (he will) is more valuable than Bernier. It's the constant search for something that doesn't exist when complaining about middle 6 guys who aren't perfect.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Then at some point fans will complain that Bernier isn't good and that his hustle just isn't enough, and how we need to raise our standards. My point is that there is a finite amount of players that do all the little things right and produce. Nelson, if he reverts back to his 20 goal scoring self (he will) is more valuable than Bernier. It's the constant search for something that doesn't exist when complaining about middle 6 guys who aren't perfect.
I don’t think anyone expects him to be perfect. It’s about giving effort. How many times a game does Nelson stop skating and give a lazy reach toward the puck? How many times does he refuse to go into the corners or drive the net? He has all the tools, yet he is too scared to do anything with them. This is not the kind of player you win playoff games with. Brian Strait may be the worst NHL player I’ve ever seen, yet I cannot question his work ethic or intentions while here. Nelson is the exact opposite.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don’t think anyone expects him to be perfect. It’s about giving effort. How many times a game does Nelson stop skating and give a lazy reach toward the puck? How many times does he refuse to go into the corners or drive the net? He has all the tools, yet he is too scared to do anything with them. This is not the kind of player you win playoff games with. Brian Strait may be the worst NHL player I’ve ever seen, yet I cannot question his work ethic or intentions while here. Nelson is the exact opposite.

And despite that lack of effort, he's still more valuable than the guys who work harder and have nothing to show for it. Consistent 20 goal scorers don't grow on trees, he has value. I'm just hoping that turn that value into something more valuable, not a bag of pucks or picks.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
And despite that lack of effort, he's still more valuable than the guys who work harder and have nothing to show for it. Consistent 20 goal scorers don't grow on trees, he has value. I'm just hoping that turn that value into something more valuable, not a bag of pucks or picks.
I agree with you. I’m just saying trade Nelson and turn him into something that will help you win.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I agree with you. I’m just saying trade Nelson and turn him into something that will help you win.

Absolutely. I just disagree with the notion that you're actually better by having a player who brings it every shift, even if they produce less (there are times it's true, but it's not an absolute). Can't just dump off every incomplete and frustrating player.

Staples recent tweets point it out. The team is frustrated by his disappearing act, but what's the alternative that helps the team win right now? They don't have one, so he has to play.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The majority here have said we'd be interested in trading him. Unfortunately, there aren't enough players who bring it every shift to be on every team in the NHL. Even the cup winners have guys similar to Nelson on their roster. You must have realistic expectations when evaluating players and coaches.

Please name the players on Cup winning teams over the last decade who continued to give less than 100%, almost always got outworked, were given regular shifts throughout the playoffs, and played any sort of significant role in their teams winning it all.

Needing Brock Nelson type of player to win the Cup. Ain't that rich. If Alan Quine can score a game winning goal we do not need Nelson.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Please take the Islanders logo off Nelson's jersey and post this on his chest.

Nelson needs to be judged on his effort and treated accordingly.

Reactions: Eberzal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Please name the players on Cup winning teams over the last decade who continued to give less than 100%, almost always got outworked, were given regular shifts throughout the playoffs, and played any sort of significant role in their teams winning it all.

Needing Brock Nelson type of player to win the Cup. Ain't that rich. If Alan Quine can score a game winning goal we do not need Nelson.

I didn't say they're significant, I said they have them. There are only so many players of the ilk that you want.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I didn't say they're significant, I said they have them. There are only so many players of the ilk that you want.

Are you saying that players who simply give good effort every shift are in very short supply?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Are you saying that players who simply give good effort every shift are in very short supply?

I'm saying players who give effort 100% aren't necessarily better than those that don't. Dumping off skilled guys for less talented ones because they hustle is a mistake.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
As for an example from the Penguins, Nick Bonino is pretty similar statistically to Nelson. I haven't watched his game closely enough to comment otherwise, but he's always struggled to put up points consistently.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm saying players who give effort 100% aren't necessarily better than those that don't. Dumping off skilled guys for less talented ones because they hustle is a mistake.

None of these comments are surprising.
Not the organization being frustrated by Nelson's inconsistent play or the team having few options to replace his skill if they sit him.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I will take Bonino over Nelson every time. Consistency and effort are very different. Andrew Ladd doesn’t score consistently, yet he’s been invaluable on that second line by doing things that don’t necessarily get you on the score sheet.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I will take Bonino over Nelson every time. Consistency and effort are very different. Andrew Ladd doesn’t score consistently, yet he’s been invaluable on that second line by doing things that don’t necessarily get you on the score sheet.

If the skill of the player who doesn't give consistent effort is a certain amount greater than the guy who puts the effort in but has little skill, then the less effort is more beneficial for the team. That's the issue the Isles have now. Nelson is the best option for that line because removing him would make them even more of a black hole than they already are.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
People said the same thing about Bailey. The lack of hustle was the main reason I disliked him. Now look at him. I feel the same way about Nelson, except if he can pot 20 goals on a third line and 2nd PP time I won't have any problem. Options are slim and to complain about Nelson as a third liner is a lost cause. He's an above average 3rd liner. JHS isn't ready to drive a line yet, he's got skill but lacks the direction for it to translate into points. I can see shipping Nelson or JHS in a package to get a top 4 dman, however you cannot ship both. It would decimate any chance of us having a third line that can score. I agree with most and Staple. Stick CC between Nelson and JHS and keep that 4th line together with Beauvillier. I don't think it will affect Beau's development. He doesn't seem to be that type of player. He'll work hard no matter where he is in the lineup.

We have to be really careful if we dish out to many forwards to fill a defensive gap. I really like where this offense is at. Didn't it give you goosebumps in the Ottawa game when Burke said "2 goals in ?? minutes from the best offense in the NHL"? I know I got them. If we are complaining about Nelson on the third line it's gonna be even worse when it's Prince and Quine there permanently. Have to be real careful how we handle personnel going forward right now. Going to need third line threats in the playoffs.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Hmmm....best summed up like this?.....sure, he scores 20 goals...but does he do anything to make his line mates and / or team any better, past those 20 goals......or, does he frustrate them and thus takes away from his line mates potential. I am thinking the latter....time to move on as soon as possible .

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
If the skill of the player who doesn't give consistent effort is a certain amount greater than the guy who puts the effort in but has little skill, then the less effort is more beneficial for the team. That's the issue the Isles have now. Nelson is the best option for that line because removing him would make them even more of a black hole than they already are.
Yes. So trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad