Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
A poster somewhere previous said that it almost looks like Nelson feels like he's entitled to be here, and therefore gives less than maximum effort. That's spot on.

Perhaps our current coach, who seems to value guys who can actually, you know, play hard, will have less patience than our old coach, who valued players who he claimed 'Played Hahd' and who had an inexplicable soft spot for underachieving veterans(See: Strait, Brian).
Maybe Weight gets in Snows ear and tells him the Nelson thing just ain't working. Not sure what we'd get for him. Probably not much. Part of a package, perhaps? He plays too soft to be a top 6'er and wayyyy too soft to be a bottom 6'er. His game just doesn't fit anywhere.
On top of which he's taking up a roster spot that could be better utilized.

I don't know that it's entitlement necessarily. Some player bust their balls and play with urgency and some don't (or at least give off that impression). It's not unique to this team or even this sport for that matter.

Brock is kinda just the Kevin McReynolds of the New York Islanders.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." Cliche I know, but it applies.

A team of Casey Cizikas' would beat a team of Brock Nelson's. A lot easier said than done to just "get rid" of him and it's not like there aren't other Nelson's around the league, but it's painful to watch.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
If he wasn't on the isles you guys would be salivating over him.

He's a good complementary player who is also very versatile. He's very valuable for that reason.

Let's hope your right, and other teams are salivating over him. He needs to go.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Good thing he's not making 6M per, or else he would just be another Jordan Eberle...

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't know that it's entitlement necessarily. Some player bust their balls and play with urgency and some don't (or at least give off that impression). It's not unique to this team or even this sport for that matter.

Brock is kinda just the Kevin McReynolds of the New York Islanders.

ahaha good analogy, in 1987 I believe when the Mets missed the playoffs after winning the World series and after they dealt Kevin Mitchell for Kevin Mc... he was asked if he was upset about missing the postseason and he said "nah, early start on hunting season"

McReynolds was a near MVP player in the league for the Mets though, felt he should have won one year, but Bonds got it, when Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke should have hurt each other in the voting.

Nelson however could become McReynolds in a post JT world, where he becomes the 1C and puts up 65-70 points a year and we finish 15th in the conference, that I can see happening

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Eberles worst season is better than Nelsons best. Assuming this is sarcasm

Meanwhile ... Ryan Strome has only appeared in only one of the Oilers three preseason games, in which he tallied a goal and an assist.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure how to interpret this news.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Meanwhile ... Ryan Strome has only appeared in only one of the Oilers three preseason games, in which he tallied a goal and an assist.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure how to interpret this news.
No big deal. Game one of the regular season will feature at least one penalty in the offensive zone, and zero points.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Brock Nelson is a prime example of how sometimes you can't just look at raw production to judge how good (or bad) a player is. Statistically, Nelson's not bad. He's usually in the 20-25 goal range, and usually in the 40-45 point range, which is solid top six numbers. But then you look at the rest of his game, particularly when he's not scoring, and you start to see why not every 40-point player is equal.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
A poster somewhere previous said that it almost looks like Nelson feels like he's entitled to be here, and therefore gives less than maximum effort. That's spot on.

That was me. He's content with just being in the show, and will play just hard enough to stay. Never expect him to jump infront of a puck or fight hard in a corner. There's no hunger there to be better, not an ounce of intensity to be found. You won't see him steaming at his locker after a loss, because deep down he doesn't care. He's got the skill to be a 30 goal scoring, point per game forward... if he only had the heart of John Tavares, Travis Hamonic or Casey Cizikas.

This is from someone that has always defended this guy. I'm completely done. There's little room for error right now, and passengers are not wanted.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
I cant stand watching him. What is his problem? Does he think hes trying? He just floats around at a snails pace. If it isnt weed then what is it? Because hes close to bryzgalov outer space level.

40-50 pts or not, watching him hurts.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think Brock Nelson is a prime example of how sometimes you can't just look at raw production to judge how good (or bad) a player is. Statistically, Nelson's not bad. He's usually in the 20-25 goal range, and usually in the 40-45 point range, which is solid top six numbers. But then you look at the rest of his game, particularly when he's not scoring, and you start to see why not every 40-point player is equal.

I feel I can tell a lot by listening to what players say... I posted a video in another thread where they asked Brock about how his summer was going and his response was telling to me... "going too fast".

You listen to any of the top players and the answer would be "I've been skating every day, can't wait to get back on the ice with the guys" or something to that effect.

I remember watching the Islanders exit interviews a couple years back. Frans Nielsen looked like he wanted to cry.... Hamonic, Tavares both looked disgusted and disappointed. Kyle Okposo was all smiles, cracking jokes. When he was a UFA and could have signed anywhere he wanted... that he picked Buffalo was of little surprise to me. Marian Hossa took big discounts in his search for a cup. Okposo wanted the money in a safe place where he likely wouldn't have to sacrifice his summer vacation.

Watch any of the replays of the games Brock has played in. He doesn't go hard into the corners.... even when it's a one on one battle, he will actually slow down and cede the battle before it even starts. He's the type that will absolutely look to sign on to a non contender for as much as he can get, the first chance he gets.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

True, but the fans annually find someone or two or three to gang up on bc he doesn’t fit ‘their’ view of him.

Let’s see what Weight gets out of him or he is who he is.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006

The poster child for this is Matt Moulson. Yea, he scored, but he did absolutely nothing else. This is how I see Nelson. A lock for 20 goals, and also a guy who didn't make anyone else better, rather his game was others making him successful. I think Nelson, like Moulson, is an opportunist, waiting for the play to come to him, rather than making the effort to create something on his own. Winning teams don't have these types in the rotation. It's all about maximum effort.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
See, for me the difference is that Matt Moulson didn't have an ounce of the talent Brock does. Matt couldn't make anyone around him better.... Brock has the ability, and doesn't. Show me one clip where he dove to break up a play, sacrificed his body to stop scoring chance or put in full effort to come out of the corner with the puck. I never expected that from Matt because he didn't have the ability.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
That was me. He's content with just being in the show, and will play just hard enough to stay. Never expect him to jump infront of a puck or fight hard in a corner. There's no hunger there to be better, not an ounce of intensity to be found. You won't see him steaming at his locker after a loss, because deep down he doesn't care. He's got the skill to be a 30 goal scoring, point per game forward... if he only had the heart of John Tavares, Travis Hamonic or Casey Cizikas.

This is from someone that has always defended this guy. I'm completely done. There's little room for error right now, and passengers are not wanted.

I'd wager more than half the world treats their jobs the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad