Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'd wager more than half the world treats their jobs the same way.

I know I do! There was a time.... but that was beaten out of me long ago. Competitive sports are different, if you want to approach it that way, more power to you. You can carve out a nice career as one of the better players on a perennial loser. Winning teams do not have that type of player as part of the core they depend on though.

I kinda see Brock as our Bonino..he'd be fine for 3rd line duties...

Nelson's consistently good defensively, solid on faceoffs, strong on the PK, and willing to block a tonne of shots?

Yeah.... we wish he was like Bonino.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Nelson's consistently good defensively, solid on faceoffs, strong on the PK, and willing to block a tonne of shots?

hm....so.....there's more to the game than scoring 25 goals while lacking focus, compete level, defensive zone coverage?

I think Nelson fits into that Griffin Reinhart and Ryan Strome and Matt Moulson area where the Isles are so under-watched, under-scouted, lack proper media coverage, that some superficial glances and pure guessing will show you a big forward, young, good skater, wicked wrist shot who can be the "missing piece" on a good team.

But this board knows the truth.

I want to like Nelson but watching him closely is just frustrating. I also hated Vanek even though he put up huge numbers on the Islanders, Moulson before him.

Too bad Nelson/deHaan for Duchene wouldn't work anywhere outside of EA sports.

Isles need a few of those trades to happen!

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
When you see Brock Nelson you know he is a guy that came from a hockey family and there was no option but hockey, oddly spoke to someone in Warroad, MN today where Nelson spent time and they said Nelson was a guy who liked the books better than hockey....

What you get with Nelson is a reluctant hockey player... I don't think he has that passion or j'oie de vivre for the game, he is a Kvasha for the most part.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
When you see Brock Nelson you know he is a guy that came from a hockey family and there was no option but hockey, oddly spoke to someone in Warroad, MN today where Nelson spent time and they said Nelson was a guy who liked the books better than hockey....

What you get with Nelson is a reluctant hockey player... I don't think he has that passion or j'oie de vivre for the game, he is a Kvasha for the most part.

Yeah, you have an NHL level player who scores 20 goals per season in his first 4 seasons and you call him a reluctant hockey player. Go list the number of players who has done what Brock has done in the the last 4 seasons. Ridiculous.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Yeah, you have an NHL level player who scores 20 goals per season in his first 4 seasons and you call him a reluctant hockey player. Go list the number of players who has done what Brock has done in the the last 4 seasons. Ridiculous.

I think his point was if he cared more he could be better. He's not saying his goals aren't impressive...we all agree he seems reluctant and lacks passion often...i don't get your issue with his post lol

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
The point is if he had JT's, or Kulemin's, or Bouvillier's motor and desire he'd probably be an All-Star.
The guy plays like he's about to fall asleep, for cryin' out load.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I think his point was if he cared more he could be better. He's not saying his goals aren't impressive...we all agree he seems reluctant and lacks passion often...i don't get your issue with his post lol

I don't see him having the problems that are way overblown on these boards. To stand here and say if he cared more is ridiculous. How do you know how much he cares? He has played hockey his entire life. I think he cares a lot and is still maturing as a player. A player who has contributed a lot on the score sheet hearing the criticism he gets has to wonder about the lack of support from this fan base. Only 50 or so players have contributed more offensively in the entire league during his time here. That kind of production should be cherished and encouraged. Just tired of the ignorance as if you known how much a player cares. The guy is closer to elite in the best league in the word than not caring.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Two questions:
1. You don't think a player having some intensity in his game helps toward production?

2. Don't you think Brock Nelson should have had at least one season with more than 50 points by now 4 seasons into his career, considering his talent? A level already reached by the similarly talented Strome in his rookie season.... and Josh Bailey last year (who doesn't have half the talent Brock does).

Anders Lee, another guy that isn't as gifted skill wise broke 50pts last season, his 3rd year.

This guy is Brad Isbister all over again.... but even Brad Isbister at least turned it on once in awhile. I'm still waiting for Brock.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Two questions:
1. You don't think a player having some intensity in his game helps toward production?

2. Don't you think Brock Nelson should have had at least one season with more than 50 points by now 4 seasons into his career, considering his talent? A level already reached by the similarly talented Strome in his rookie season.... and Josh Bailey last year (who doesn't have half the talent Brock does).

Anders Lee, another guy that isn't as gifted skill wise broke 50pts last season, his 3rd year.

This guy is Brad Isbister all over again.... but even Brad Isbister at least turned it on once in awhile. I'm still waiting for Brock.

He is 25 (26 in October) and not even in his prime yet. 25-25-50 per season still could be coming. It's all about confidence. This bashing day in and out could run him out of here just like Bertuzzi was. Staple doesn't see the problems the so called experts see on these boards.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Nelson has issues, but nothing a solid #2 center couldn't fix for the team.

JPIsles21

Jul 9, 2006
Nelson has issues, but nothing a solid #2 center couldn't fix for the team.

This fanbase confuses me from time to time. Remember when Snow was very good at value contracts? Tavares, Leddy, Lee, Nielsen, etc. Well I would add Brock to this as well. He makes 2.5 mil and has 20+ goals every season over the last 4 seasons. Is he a perfect player? No. But he's not being paid like a 2nd line player. He's a very good 3rd liner on most teams. Put in the right situation he is reasonably effective. You know which forwards contributes to winning less than him?

C. Cizikas
C. Clutterbuck
A. Ladd
J. Chimera
N. Kulemin

18.8 million in cap space there. An average of 3.75 mil per player.

We are paying 5 forwards who are inferior to Nelson, on average, an extra 1.25 mil each.

That is disgusting. Tavares is only a few years away from being 30 and we have nothing to show for his prime years because of poor investments. Brock at 2.5 mil is an asset even though he is a flawed player. If we spent money well, we wouldn't be talking about Nelson. We'd be talking about him being an excellent 3rd line player, because he would be playing sheltered minutes.

Nelson is not a problem. His usage, and a supporting cast of overpaid average/below average players truly are.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

The 20 goals are fine and he has skill to pot a lot more, it is the passionless play without the puck, the many times he gives up on a play. It is the lack of expression on his face in eyes of failure, and an inability to even push back on a player that is physically abusing him.

This is a guy with strong talent that is not at an above average level of play because there is no fire in his belly.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He is 25 (26 in October) and not even in his prime yet. 25-25-50 per season still could be coming. It's all about confidence. This bashing day in and out could run him out of here just like Bertuzzi was. Staple doesn't see the problems the so called experts see on these boards.

Why do you believe the bolded is the case? Most forwards are in their prime scoring years as early as 21 or 22 years old. By age 25 or 26, with 90% of forwards what you see is what you'll get. You can probably count on one hand the number of players since the 2005 lockout who "broke out" and become so much better players after age 26.

Could Nelson be one of the exceptions and find another level as he gets older? Maybe. Not impossible. But he'd be the anomaly since most players by his age are pretty much exactly what they'll always be (offensively -- players do tend to round out their defensive game as they get older).

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Staple's opinion is that Isles fans are upset with Nelson for not "getting angry" and showing more emotion. This is certainly true that many fans use this as an argument against Nelson. However, I think Staple is a little off the mark with this one. I think the majority of Islander fan's issue with Nelson go further than "the get mad" argument and are valid argument's to Nelson as a flawed player.

I would use Kulemin as an example to counter that argument. Kulemin is similar to Nelson as player who rarely "get's mad" and is extremely stoic. Yet, you rarely see Islander fans concerned about his lack of emotion or criticizing him to the extant that they do with Nelson. I would say it's because unlike Nelson, Kulemin's effort, strength and decision making are less questionable. They may question his offensive ability and the value of his contract. The issue most Islander fans have with Nelson goes beyond what Staple wrote and I think they are legitimate concerns: Weak on the puck and on his skates.

With that said, he is certainly worth his contract and his flaws would be better insulated with a better roster.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
My beef with Nelson is that he absolutely has the ability to be a 30+ goal scoring 80+ point center. It would be fine if he was just a 20g 40pt center... but his indifference drags the team down and costs added production from his wingers and causes goals against. That bit of intensity he's missing makes a world of difference when it comes to winning battles... winning corner battles is what keeps your team on offense, gets the puck out of your own zone and into transition.

The winning goal the other night could be a case study on exactly why this is important.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

You will never ever see this from Nelson... and it has nothing to do with "getting mad" or even skill level. When have you ever seen Nelson on the bench hunched over from being exhausted? Because the max is gives is somewhere around 60 percent. Take that **** to another city.

Al Arbour would have killed this guy in a bag skate by now, or ran the stiff off the team. I'd love to hear someone try to argue differently.

Last edited:

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006
My beef with Nelson is that he absolutely has the ability to be a 30+ goal scoring 80+ point center. It would be fine if he was just a 20g 40pt center... but his indifference drags the team down and costs added production from his wingers and causes goals against. That bit of intensity he's missing makes a world of difference when it comes to winning battles... winning corner battles is what keeps your team on offense, gets the puck out of your own zone and into transition.

The winning goal the other night could be a case study on exactly why this is important.

I get the frustration, but an 80+ point center? That would make him a top 10, or in some years top 5 forward in the game. That's kind of difficult to expect, when even Tavares can't hit 80 points on an annual basis.

I think he could probably be a 50-55 point guy, 60 in a career year, but his flaws keep him around 40-45, but I don't think it's fair to say that he has the ability to be Evgeni Malkin or something.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I get the frustration, but an 80+ point center? That would make him a top 10, or in some years top 5 forward in the game. That's kind of difficult to expect, when even Tavares can't hit 80 points on an annual basis.

I believe he has the ability to score 30 goals and post 80 points. It's his drive that holds him back. The fact that he can't even crack 50 points should tell you all you need to know. When guys like Anders Lee, Josh Bailey and Ryan Strome have all surpassed that mark with equal or lesser talent.

I think he could probably be a 50-55 point guy, 60 in a career year, but his flaws keep him around 40-45, but I don't think it's fair to say that he has the ability to be Evgeni Malkin or something.

Yeah, and what are his flaws? I'm willing to accept a player that reaches his peak because of low talent level. I refuse to accept a player that can't reach their potential because they don't put in the effort. You don't win when you're depending on players like that

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

You will never ever see this from Nelson... and it has nothing to do with "getting mad" or even skill level. When have you ever seen Nelson on the bench hunched over from being exhausted? Because the max is gives is somewhere around 60 percent. Take that **** to another city.

Al Arbour would have killed this guy in a bag skate by now, or ran the stiff off the team. I'd love to hear someone try to argue differently.

yes, radar would of had no patience with Nelson. Probably would of benched or embarrassed him.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006

Are you seriously suggesting comments made on this board will be the reason Nelson gets moved? That's laughable.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Everything about this post is :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Two questions:

i think there's an argument that josh bailey has more talent than brock nelson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad