Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Yeah, I don't want to derail the thread, but one goal so far?

It's a shame that he's been taken on the 1PP, that was really the main reason he has so much success in the past.

With as little production as Lee has, he gets in front to screen goalies, one of the few who can win a corner battle and will get physical when needed. Guy needs to play with shooters so he can clean up the garbage on rebounds. Playing with guys who like to dangle, only to turn it over doesn't reflect on him.

But of course, it's all about the scoresheet.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
With as little production as Lee has, he gets in front to screen goalies, one of the few who can win a corner battle and will get physical when needed. Guy needs to play with shooters so he can clean up the garbage on rebounds. Playing with guys who like to dangle, only to turn it over doesn't reflect on him.

He has missed a few golden opportunities to score on rebounds over the last few games. I'm afraid if his knack for putting home garbage goals in front of the net isn't as good as we thought then his value diminishes greatly. His ability to keep up with the play and skating ability leaves a whole lot to be desired.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I don't think it's all about the scoresheet.

And sure, he can win a corner battle, but that doesn't mean he necessarily makes smart plays with the puck when he wins those battles.

Last edited:

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
Hey Guys,
I was surprised to see very little discussion about Brock Nelson on here....

Last year almost put up thirty goals, This year has amazing pace but I look at his ice time and he seems to have very low TOI at times despite being a top 6 player....

Whats the deal? Does he get PP time? Is he a legit top 6 player? Last year, 26 goals with 15 minutes of ice time is pretty damn impressive... He's pacing to be about the same this year but no one talks about him...

Some insight?

Most fans on here think if you are not running around hitting everything you see then you need to be traded. Nelson is the best two way player on the team and if they wouldn't constantly changing his line trying to find someone to gel with JT and give him 18-20 minutes he would get around 60-65 points a year...soft goals and all.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Most fans on here think if you are not running around hitting everything you see then you need to be traded. Nelson is the best two way player on the team and if they wouldn't constantly changing his line trying to find someone to gel with JT and give him 18-20 minutes he would get around 60-65 points a year...soft goals and all.

Nelson led the Islanders last season in goals scored while tied, so it's not like there's even much merit to the soft goals notion.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Nelson led the Islanders last season in goals scored while tied, so it's not like there's even much merit to the soft goals notion.

Yeah, but who led the Islanders in goals scored while I was watching and really wanted the team to score an important goal according to me?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

We don't need him to be Steve Webb. We just need him to stop being afraid of his own shadow. There's a world of difference between the two.

scott99

May 13, 2005
But will you still love him in March?

26 goals last year. 20+ goals the year before, leads the team in scoring this year. Does he go invisible ? Yeah, but so do a lot of our players. He's our 2nd best offensive player, period. Very talented offensive player.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
26 goals last year. 20+ goals the year before, leads the team in scoring this year. Does he go invisible ? Yeah, but so do a lot of our players. He's our 2nd best offensive player, period. Very talented offensive player.

2nd Best offensive player who fades as the season progresses.

Third line guy on any other team.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
LMFAO at whoever said Brock Nelson is the best two way forward on the team. What are people watching or do they actually know what they're watching. Brock Nelson, minus having a great shot, sucks at everything else.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
I remember when Brock debuted against the Pens in the playoffs, actually was playing physical. Now hes scared to bang the bodies, hes a scorer, but hes gotta get more physical.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Bumping this.

I have been a Brock supporter for a long time, but he's growing more frustrating. Guy ha s alot of talent and the physical makeup to be a legit top 6 guy. But he is just so darn inconsistent from month to month and even within games. Early in the season I thought he'd need to be protected, but unless he goes on a tear the last 20 games I am exposing him in the draft. His 20 goals is very replaceable especially if there is nothing else in his game worth keeping.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
He failed to clear the puck multiple times in the final moments of the game last night.

As mentioned above, he has all the tools to be great, but just doesn't have the drive. Really don't like him at center.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
He either has to start improving his line mates (creating space, setting up plays) or start playing with some intensity (hitting, digging in the corners). Too passive in the important areas like in front of the net and along the boards. He's in the weird spot where he doesn't quite produce enough to be a top 6 forward (particularly at c) and he isn't strong enough with the intangibles (defense, grit) to stick as a bottom 6 forward.

Coming into this season it was a crossroads for Lee/Nelson/Strome, Lee is the only one to show he belongs in the top 6. Nelson started strong then vanished, Strome was nowhere to be found until recently.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
He either has to start improving his line mates (creating space, setting up plays) or start playing with some intensity (hitting, digging in the corners). Too passive in the important areas like in front of the net and along the boards. He's in the weird spot where he doesn't quite produce enough to be a top 6 forward (particularly at c) and he isn't strong enough with the intangibles (defense, grit) to stick as a bottom 6 forward.

Coming into this season it was a crossroads for Lee/Nelson/Strome, Lee is the only one to show he belongs in the top 6. Nelson started strong then vanished, Strome was nowhere to be found until recently.

this is it, unfortunately. the good news is that he can be a top 6, with a good work ethic. the bad news is, the coaches haven't been able to find the right buttons to push. he just doesn't seem to be willing to make the sacrifices to make the right play.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
this is it, unfortunately. the good news is that he can be a top 6, with a good work ethic. the bad news is, the coaches haven't been able to find the right buttons to push. he just doesn't seem to be willing to make the sacrifices to make the right play.

I'm starting to get the same vibe with him like I used to get with KO. Like he's content with just being an NHL player and winning/losing doesn't effect him much. Meanwhile, you've got guys with so much less skill than him but are way more important players because they put in the effort. I wish we could put Quines heart into his body.... there's no reason why he can't be a 30 goal scorer in this league. It's all between his ears

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I think we all have a version of Brock in our heads that we want him to be that he simply isnt...whether its more physical or play with more intensity etc. here is the thing with me, when he has a little space and can release his wrist shot hes a plus player. So lets say we put him on a 3rd line (RW) with guys that do what he doesnt like CC (intensity and net presense) and Chimmer (Speed and some grit).

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I think we all have a version of Brock in our heads that we want him to be that he simply isnt...whether its more physical or play with more intensity etc. here is the thing with me, when he has a little space and can release his wrist shot hes a plus player. So lets say we put him on a 3rd line (RW) with guys that do what he doesnt like CC (intensity and net presense) and Chimmer (Speed and some grit).

That is actually a pretty good idea....then if that does not work...bye bye

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park

I've wanted him on the right-side all year. The only thing I find useful with him is his shot, so playing his off-wing will give him a chance to cut across and rip it.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
There's only one word to describe him and I'm going not to spell it out for ya. S A W F T. Sawwwft!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad