Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
are you quoting me? All I said was last night he played with heart and fire. That's it. Jeez. Guess you missed the part where I said too bad its once a month.

Hi. Didn't miss anything. I was using your post as a jumping off point to address the few people out there who think Brock isn't doing that bad and we should go easy on him.

You can forgive a lack of talent, but you cannot forgive lack of effort.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Hi. Didn't miss anything. I was using your post as a jumping off point to address the few people out there who think Brock isn't doing that bad and we should go easy on him.

This is where I stand on Alan Quine. He's a fringe NHLer and we all know it. Injuries placed him into the lineup and he cannot make up for his lack of natural talent, but at least tries to with hustle and effort.

Brock on the other hand is basically a slap in the face to any hockey player that worked his butt off to make it but couldn't overcome physical or talent drawbacks. Seems like a "just happy to be here" type of guy, not the type we need.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006

But, I never excused his play before last night. Was pointing out how it was finally nice of him to show up. I totally agree with your last sentence. I am sick and tired of him as well.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
But, I never excused his play before last night. Was pointing out how it was finally nice of him to show up. I totally agree with your last sentence. I am sick and tired of him as well. I am not one of those who think he isn't doing badly.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
I'm glad he's found the net a few times lately, but how the F does a full time center playing 12-15 min a night have a total of 3 assists??? For a team leading the league in offense...

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I'm glad he's found the net a few times lately, but how the F does a full time center playing 12-15 min a night have a total of 3 assists??? For a team leading the league in offense...
Because he has a good wrist shot and that’s it.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Staple's mentioned it before, and I concur. Brock has fire, he is just very inconsistent in showing it. You know who he reminds me of? Vladimir "the gentle giant" Malakhov. It's refreshing to see that it's not just Russians who have the disease. Malkhov would completely disappear for stretches, and then have a monster game where he was checking people like they killed his mother, and shooting rockets. It was just so few and far between.

All players like this are irritating. In the end folks will continue to complain about him, but we would actually miss his 20 goals when he's gone. Realistically he belongs on the third line and he's the only legitimate scoring threat on that line because of his shot. JHS and Beau are just great hustle and cycler guys, but neither one of them really has the ability to bury the puck. Part of the reason why Brock only has three assists. I'm not unhappy with that third line, and for a third line it could be a lot worse, right? Ahem, Quince Prince Chimera!! Vomit!!!

Last edited:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Staple's mentioned it before, and I concur. Brock has fire, he is just very inconsistent in showing it. You know who he reminds me of? Vladimir "the gentle giant" Malakhov. It's refreshing to see that it's not just Russians who have the disease. Malkhov would completely disappear for stretches, and then have a monster game where he was checking people like they killed his mother, and shooting rockets. It was just so few and far between.

All players like this are irritating. In the end folks will continue to complain about him, but we would actually miss his 20 goals when he's gone. Realistically he belongs on the third line and he's the only legitimate scoring threat on that line because of his shot. JHS and Beau are just great hustle and cycler guys, but neither one of them really has the ability to bury the puck. Part of the reason why Brock only has three assists. I'm not unhappy with that third line, and for a third line it could be a lot worse, right? Ahem, Quince Prince Chimera!! Vomit!!!

The problem with Nelson is that he does not throw hits, does not pass good at all, he does not have speed, does not kill penalties, is not good on the PP, I mean he really is good for 20-23 goals and that is it... and he takes months off at a time, he plays with no enthusiasm,

I personally know Malakhov, (sons went to same elementary school together, lives on Long Island since the trade to MTL. Malakhov had a mean streak in him and he could fight, he threw some hits, just was not a likable guy, and I had some experience with that... Nelson is a player that just does not bring it every night, it takes a lot of cajoling and micro management to get him to come out of his shell, in October we saw some of that but then November he might as well have not dressed up. That type of player will never be consistent, it is a part of his personality and that can't change once you are in your mid 20's, some will say Bailey was like that, and there is some truth to that, but Bailey did go to the dirty areas and had other purposes when he wasn't a PPG guy LOL

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The problem with Nelson is that he does not throw hits, does not pass good at all, he does not have speed, does not kill penalties, is not good on the PP, I mean he really is good for 20-23 goals and that is it... and he takes months off at a time, he plays with no enthusiasm,

I personally know Malakhov, (sons went to same elementary school together, lives on Long Island since the trade to MTL. Malakhov had a mean streak in him and he could fight, he threw some hits, just was not a likable guy, and I had some experience with that... Nelson is a player that just does not bring it every night, it takes a lot of cajoling and micro management to get him to come out of his shell, in October we saw some of that but then November he might as well have not dressed up. That type of player will never be consistent, it is a part of his personality and that can't change once you are in your mid 20's, some will say Bailey was like that, and there is some truth to that, but Bailey did go to the dirty areas and had other purposes when he wasn't a PPG guy LOL

I still think Malakhov was like that as well. He did it just as rarely as Nelson does. Some could argue he was better skilled than Nelson. Granted, it's a different position. Point is, 20 goals in this NHL are not easily replaced.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Nelson has always been an incredibly streaky player throughout his career thus far. He has all of the tools needed...but no tool box.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I still think Malakhov was like that as well. He did it just as rarely as Nelson does. Some could argue he was better skilled than Nelson. Granted, it's a different position. Point is, 20 goals in this NHL are not easily replaced.

It may be that we need the goals spread across more players, Chimera had 20 last year and now has just one. Ho-Sang is not a finisher.

Nelson just needs to be do others things when he is not scoring

Reactions: IODCPiper

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Did you guys see that interview with Al Arbor about Malakhov? He was saying that Malakhov had talent coming out of his ears, but drove him absolutely nuts. Referencing his lazyness.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
It is time to move Brock....not much of a debate anymore....the only debate being when, and that is not much of one....deadline or off season.
Third line needs Casey at center. Bo can do the job on the fourth for now and might actually be a good thing for him as he is getting no help on the third for him to progress.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Last night in the second, Brock was clearing the puck out of his own zone at the blueline and without any awareness let a Star lift his stick from behind and let him steal the puck. Afterwards, he turned around and looked stunned at what just happened. He then proceeded to lazily skate back into the zone.

I didn't see any anger, awareness or inkling of payback and for that I'm done. If he cannot be trusted by the fans, I don't know how his own teammates can trust him.

Reactions: dood and periferal

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Last night in the second, Brock was clearing the puck out of his own zone at the blueline and without any awareness let a Star lift his stick from behind and let him steal the puck. Afterwards, he turned around and looked stunned at what just happened. He then proceeded to lazily skate back into the zone.

I didn't see any anger, awareness or inkling of payback and for that I'm done. If he cannot be trusted by the fans, I don't know how his own teammates can trust him.

I would argue if he can't be trusted by his teammates than the fans can't trust him. The reverse is silly, we don't know jack about anybody's compete level just from watching 60 minutes a night. Way more to it than that. Coaches have already been quoted saying he has fire, just doesn't come out enough, that's all.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I would argue if he can't be trusted by his teammates than the fans can't trust him. The reverse is silly, we don't know jack about anybody's compete level just from watching 60 minutes a night. Way more to it than that. Coaches have already been quoted saying he has fire, just doesn't come out enough, that's all.

It's true, what we think doesn't matter at all. I just don't see how within the locker room or behind closed doors that he's this intense, fiery competitor.

Also, saying he has the fire but it doesn't come out enough is almost worse! What in the hell is he holding it back for?? That would irk me as a teammate. Sometimes you care and sometimes you don't? I get it, you're allowed to have a off night every now and then over the course of an 82 game season because as much as we like to think they're robots, they're not. But jeez, half the time Brock looks as if he's skating around at Rockefeller center and for me, that's way too often.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Not for anything but Nelson is in the lineup for Offense and has 12 points, not much more than Cizikas and on par with CDH and Pelech, this has to improve, he doesn't hit anyone, is not on the PK, does not fight, does not dig out pucks, or even touch the puck much

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
It is time for this guy to sit in the luxury box... 4 goals and zero assists in his last 26 games, without every sitting out a game.

He does not hit, fight, dig for loose pucks, kill penalties... no value except for his offense which has disappeared completely... Every player that has to be on his line suffers immensely and has to overwork to compensate for all the times he falls to the ice, or is too slow to get to a puck, or turns the puck over.

The reason we have bottom 6 problem is Nelson, he is the common denominator and he has to sit out a few games.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
dissapointing player. Win some lose some I guess. Time to cut bait and acquire a d-man for the asset that is Nelson and a pick or two?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't think the Isles would get better if they traded Nelson in-season, so unfortunately they are likely stuck with him until the draft.

I think they need to flip him and a pick for Hjalmarsson, at least they improve the D and you can roll a 3rd line of Prince/Quine/Beau for 15 games and use in limited fashion if behind by a goal or protecting a one goal lead.... then see who is out of the race and bolster the third line at the deadline.

Nelson brings everyone else down, and his stock is going to plummet, I don't see him getting 25 points this year, which is acceptable for role players like Cizikas and Clutter but not for one dimensional offensive players like Nelson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad