Confirmed with Link: Brind'Amour named head coach

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
When he signed and started making appearances in Raleigh people noted right away how out of shape he appeared.

Did not look like a professional athlete at all. Unless maybe he went to the Jamie McBain school of Conditioning.

Dead horse territory here, but go back and look at photos of Darling from his Chicago time, especially his day with the Cup pics where he just has on a tshirt or polo. The guy we got looks like the guy that ate that guy.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
When he signed and started making appearances in Raleigh people noted right away how out of shape he appeared.

Did not look like a professional athlete at all. Unless maybe he went to the Jamie McBain school of Conditioning.

Yeah I definitely remember a few initial impressions from people this summer after seeing him at training camp were along the lines of "what the f***, was his offseason training done at Bojangles?"

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So, our new coach seems to think the owner will try to make coaching decisions.

"I come into this, and I know what's going to happen: Tom's going to want to be involved in everything. He's going to be down in the coach's office every day that he's around. And that's OK. We talked about it. I get this is how it's going to work. I think we'll be able to work together well. I'm just going to have to show him why [we shouldn't] do what he wants to do. He wants to put a guy in and play him here, and everyone knows it's not the best decision, I gotta show him why. I gotta let him know, and then he's fine.

It's going to be fine. I know what I gotta do. And if it isn't [fine], well, we know how the story ends with every coach anyway."

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
At least set the stage properly with the context from the first question:

ESPN: Are you surprised at all that Tom went in a direction such as this? He comes in, talks about disrupting the system and ends up hiring a long-serving executive as GM and a long-serving assistant coach as head coach?
Brind'Amour:
Not really. Tom's been here, like, every day. He's involved in everything. I give him credit for that. It's his money. He bought the team. A lot of guys would just walk away and let it run, in the conventional way or in the way it should be done. Who knows? I don't know if there is a right or wrong way.

But I just keep thinking that if it was me, and I had that much money, I'd want to be involved in everything too. That's his mentality. And you could see the relationship he was building with Don Waddell. A lot of great back-and-forth. And that's what it's all about, right? We put a lot of emphasis on who knows what and résumés, but at the end, it's about people. If you got good people that can work together, you got a chance.

These are the things that Dundon has told us all repeatedly he was going to be involved in (and want to understand) from day 1. It is just a different mentality.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's a bad look, for sure. It's one thing to have the players answer to the coach, but if you've got the owner beside him all the time, the players are going to question who really makes the decisions.

And if it's Dundon instead of Rod, all that stuff about Rod being a great leader and trying to change the culture doesn't mean jack shit.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This is no surprise to me. Dundon, in the interview with Guilitti (sp?) came right out and said that at least short term, he was going to be very involved in hockey decisions. His actions so far showed that he was going to be, yet some refused to believe it and argued against it. It's now straight from Brindy's mouth that he's going to be in the coaches office regularly and be very involved in hockey decisions. Whether you want to call it the collaborative approach or team decision making or whatever, it's pretty obvious that the owner is going to be very involved in hockey decisions, even the coach expects it.

Brindy seems to have the right outlook on this though.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Ehh... I'm taking this more as Dundon wanting to learn, not wanting to influence actual decisions. Hopefully. Maybe. Probably not.

I suspect it's the "explain it like I'm 5" approach that's common to many leaders.

Explain and defend your decision. If you can't, then you haven't thought about it enough.

Fortunately, it seems like Brindy will welcome that challenge.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ehh... I'm taking this more as Dundon wanting to learn, not wanting to influence actual decisions. Hopefully. Maybe. Probably not.

I don't know...this line can't get any more direct in Brindy thinking he's going to want to influence.

I'm just going to have to show him why [we shouldn't] do what he wants to do. He wants to put a guy in and play him here, and everyone knows it's not the best decision, I gotta show him why.

But Brindy has the right mentality and I think a strong enough personality to do what he thinks is right regardless.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Brind'Amour just finished an interview on Hockey Central at Noon, and he said something like he just got done talking to Tom about what other teams do that we can improve upon. It seems exactly like he's said it'll be, fact gathering and trying to understand hockey. You can argue whether that's too hands on, but it's what Tom has said all along.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This is no surprise to me. Dundon, in the interview with Guilitti (sp?) came right out and said that at least short term, he was going to be very involved in hockey decisions. His actions so far showed that he was going to be, yet some refused to believe it and argued against it. It's now straight from Brindy's mouth that he's going to be in the coaches office regularly and be very involved in hockey decisions. Whether you want to call it the collaborative approach or team decision making or whatever, it's pretty obvious that the owner is going to be very involved in hockey decisions, even the coach expects it.

Brindy seems to have the right outlook on this though.
And some people wondered why we were offering lower salary positions at HC and GM. When the duties are being split among multiple people (Dundon included) why pay full price for the job when someone is only doing a fraction of the work of the industry 'standard'.

As I said on the main board, this very well could work out. We don't know whether it will or whether it won't. The one thing I will not do is bet against a 46 year old trying to challenge the industry standards who went from small restaurant owner to self made billionaire in the span of 20 years through multiple successful business ventures. The guy isn't stupid. You don't collect a personal wealth of over $1.5b from making stupid managerial decisions.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I don't know...this line can't get any more direct in Brindy thinking he's going to want to influence.

But Brindy has the right mentality and I think a strong enough personality to do what he thinks is right regardless.

Dundon placed Roddy there himself. Maybe the only guy in the entire org with enough built-in respect that most would side with him over Dundon in a hockey argument.

Even if Dundon wants to be a heavy meddler, it seems like he is checking-and-balancing himself well. He didn't have to. That jives with the procedural approach he has been promoting.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He's not going to tell Rod how to coach, it sounds more like he's trying to learn than dictate.

See, I read this quote from Rod a bit differently than you do.

I'm just going to have to show him why [we shouldn't] do what he wants to do. He wants to put a guy in and play him here, and everyone knows it's not the best decision, I gotta show him why.

Yes, it is fine if he wants to know why we do things. But Rod's language here "...
have to show him why [we shouldn't] do what he wants to do." indicates that Rod believes Tom is going to come to him at some point and say "do this" and Rod will have to say "no". I don't know why people have a hard time believing this is going to happen when Rod seems to think it is going to happen.

The only unknown is what Tom will do when he is told "no" and what will Rod do when Tom says "do it anyway"?

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
See, I read this quote from Rod a bit differently than you do.

Yes, it is fine if he wants to know why we do things. But Rod's language here "...
have to show him why [we shouldn't] do what he wants to do." indicates that Rod believes Tom is going to come to him at some point and say "do this" and Rod will have to say "no". I don't know why people have a hard time believing this is going to happen when Rod seems to think it is going to happen.

The only unknown is what Tom will do when he is told "no" and what will Rod do when Tom says "do it anyway"?

I understand your point, and we'll definitely have to wait and see how TD handles a "no" from Roddy.

I'm just looking at how new he is and how he seems like a "see what sticks" type of person. I don't think TD is afraid to fail if it means learning stuff along the way, but how often will he fail? And how will he respond when the blame for a decision comes back on him?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So... its like the dynamics that exist in every other industry?

I've always found it funny that people think owners should just sit in a box and never get involved with the operations of their team. If I spend $5000 hiring a travel adviser for a family vacation, I'm not going to just sit back and not give any guidance on the kind of trip that I want. Dundon just spent $500m to own this team, he's well within his rights to get involved, and I welcome the thought of him doing so.

10 times out of 10, I'd much rather have an owner invested financially and emotionally into the team I like to the point of forcing policies every once and a while over the absentee ownership we just endured for 2 decades under Karmanos. Invested owners actually try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad