Speculation: Brian Lawton: OEL will be the next big trade

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Thanks! So do re EDM and TOR packages need to come down in value for an OEL deal or do the DAL, NYI, and MTL packages need to come up in value for OEL?

I think if OEL were on a nice extension, you can get the Leafs and Oilers package (depending on hit and term). In fact, you can probably add in Buffalo there as well- they might be more desperate for a D than any team right now, and they would probably be willing to beat the EDM package (they really need more secondary scoring right now more than anything, though they could use blue-line help as well).

I don't think you'd necessarily take out parts in the Oilers, Leafs deal. OEL, if you think of him as a legitimate #1D type (even factoring some recency and somewhat underwhelming play recently) and the fact he's 2 years from a UFA payday....deserves that package IMO.

Instead, I think Arizona needs to add. For the Leafs, maybe a pick swap (our 1st for your 2nd, if it ends up being #32 or something- then the Leafs might have to add their 3rd or a prospect) and future considerations- like taking on Marleau's cap hit on the 3rd year after his signing bonus, or Martin's cap hit for the last ~year of his deal 2.5m AAV. Something around those lines...basically something the Yotes can easily slot in with all their ELC guys, their cap situation, and where they are as a organization.

Montreal's package is adequate if they pick high in this year's draft or add in Poehling instead of Juulsen, IMO. I think if it's close to the lottery and they add in Poehling, the package is closer to fair value.

Dallas needs to include Heiskanen and remove a few parts, it can be Heiskanen alone and a 1st, maybe less than a 1st but either way- Heiskanen needs to be in the package- they don't really have much young closer to high-end/well-tracking prospects to offer.

Not sure with NYI, it looks more like a quantity for quality deal, at least for me. They need to add in one high-end young piece and I'm not sure Bellows is that guys, they didn't pick this year......Dal Colle isn't tracking well......they wouldn't move Barzal. They'd probably have to supplement with 2 1st's and work around it.

If your adding in Buffalo into the mix. I'd probably want a framework of Mittelstadt or Reinhart ++.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Then, Edmonton proposal is the worst, along with the Islanders one.
I can tell you are having fun in here given your posting frequency, but considering you presumably live in Western Canada and don't know one of the best players in the WHL makes me think you likely aren't very savvy when it comes to prospects and maybe you should leave commenting about value to more knowledgeable posters who actually know the players being discussed.

Reactions: The Dave and rt

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I can tell you are having fun in here given your posting frequency, but considering you presumably live in Western Canada and don't know one of the best players in the WHL makes me think you likely aren't very savvy when it comes to prospects and maybe you should leave commenting about value to more knowledgeable posters who actually know the players being discussed.

No. I know about prospects; I just didn't know much about Ethan Bear.

bluemike

Nov 2, 2005
Colton Parayko + from the Blues. Not sure what the + represents but probably prospects like Tage Thompson, etc...maybe Steen if Arizona wants an established player.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Early results are

EDM
TOR
MTL
DAL
NYI

Right? Is the EDM deal too much for OEL? NYI too little? Are all too much? All to little?
I'd be totally surprised if Chayka dealt OEL within the division to Edmonton Toronto would cost Marner Montreal doesn't have the pieces for OEL Dallas starts with Heiskanen and doubt Dallas does it and the NYI really they already have one of the better D corps around.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Colton Parayko + from the Blues. Not sure what the + represents but probably prospects like Tage Thompson, etc...maybe Steen if Arizona wants an established player.
Really? Is Parayko having a rough season? Not sure i would deal him if I'm St Louis.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think if OEL were on a nice extension, you can get the Leafs and Oilers package (depending on hit and term). In fact, you can probably add in Buffalo there as well- they might be more desperate for a D than any team right now, and they would probably be willing to beat the EDM package (they really need more secondary scoring right now more than anything, though they could use blue-line help as well).

I don't think you'd necessarily take out parts in the Oilers, Leafs deal. OEL, if you think of him as a legitimate #1D type (even factoring some recency and somewhat underwhelming play recently) and the fact he's 2 years from a UFA payday....deserves that package IMO.

Instead, I think Arizona needs to add. For the Leafs, maybe a pick swap (our 1st for your 2nd, if it ends up being #32 or something- then the Leafs might have to add their 3rd or a prospect) and future considerations- like taking on Marleau's cap hit on the 3rd year after his signing bonus, or Martin's cap hit for the last ~year of his deal 2.5m AAV. Something around those lines...basically something the Yotes can easily slot in with all their ELC guys, their cap situation, and where they are as a organization.

Montreal's package is adequate if they pick high in this year's draft or add in Poehling instead of Juulsen, IMO. I think if it's close to the lottery and they add in Poehling, the package is closer to fair value.

Dallas needs to include Heiskanen and remove a few parts, it can be Heiskanen alone and a 1st, maybe less than a 1st but either way- Heiskanen needs to be in the package- they don't really have much young closer to high-end/well-tracking prospects to offer.

Not sure with NYI, it looks more like a quantity for quality deal, at least for me. They need to add in one high-end young piece and I'm not sure Bellows is that guys, they didn't pick this year......Dal Colle isn't tracking well......they wouldn't move Barzal. They'd probably have to supplement with 2 1st's and work around it.

If your adding in Buffalo into the mix. I'd probably want a framework of Mittelstadt or Reinhart ++.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'd be totally surprised if Chayka dealt OEL within the division to Edmonton Toronto would cost Marner Montreal doesn't have the pieces for OEL Dallas starts with Heiskanen and doubt Dallas does it and the NYI really they already have one of the better D corps around.
With some promising kids pushing for nhl icetime, I would only be interested in an OEL trade of we were at July 1st and an extension could be agreed upon.
He would be a luxury, not a must have piece.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
More like Marner+Gardiner. Even then, Arizona would probably add Duclair.

nah mitchy isn't going anywhere

If they were to add Ryan MacInnis would be perfect, big 3/4 centre, because other then the Goat, they don't have any size down the middle for those spots, and I'm not that sold on Gauthier

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
So your 5 untouchables are Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Reilly and Liljegren?

OEL for Kadri, Gardiner, Hyman/Brown and Dermott.

That’s probably acceptable....I’m not sure why Kadri would be if interest...if I was chayka, I’d be more interested in futures than Kadri.

Brown, dermott, Kapanen, 2018 1st is a pretty decent haul for OEL.

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
Wouldn't mind to see him in Jets uniform. I know it will be costly but totally needed for our blue-line

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm just not willing to give up what it would take tbh. I'm not Giving up a Nylander or Marner for him. I'm not giving up Rielly, who's coming into his own. Not giving up Liljegren. It would need to be 1sts,2nds, Bracco,Grundsrom,Korshkov etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad