Speculation: Brian Lawton: OEL will be the next big trade

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Wonder if Canes fans would go for OEL(50% retained) in exchange for Hanifin and a 2nd.
I think thats a great deal for both teams. OEL's contract ends soon so hes not gonna get you much more than Hanafin

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
not a big fan of Hanifin. OEL has 1 year left he should go to a contender

i think it's a bad deal for both teams

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Add Lindholm and Duclair? Feels like being greedy.

I don't think you guys get Lindholm and Hanifin but Hanifin alone, without a 1st at minimum is not enough. But in general, Hanifin as a singular piece is better than most top pieces that have been thrown around.

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
Replace Slepyshev with Bear and take out Duclair.
Adding Bear wouldn't be a deal breaker but if the package is a 1st, two prospects and Darrnell Nurse Edmonton will want something back with OEL. Duclair shouldn't be a deal breaker for Arizona either. He's not exactly panning out that well there. It would be a gamble worth taking for Edmonton though.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Hmmm...makes me want to ask Canes fans, but I feel like they're going to tear me to ribbons. Like so much pulled pork. Shred me up and squirt vinegar on my remains.

Canes fans hate players on short contracts...
Their GM feels the same way according to a few interviews he has given...

Hanifin was completely off the table for Duchene for that reason.
OEL is worth quite a bit more than Duchene but given that the Canes arguably need a Duchene 10x more than an OEL with their amazing defensive core, that proposal probably won't be well received unless he comes with an extension which can't happen for another 8 months...

Has OEL said anything about re-signing?

Dallas and Heiskanen might be your best option but I am not sure I would trade Heiskanen if I am Dallas given how amazing he looks and how much younger and cheaper he is.

I fear that Sakic might put way too much on the table for OEL (Multiple 1sts, one of our top end Ds, fwd prospects, etc.).
McKenzie did say afterall that he is looking to turn around and flip some of the assets (he even mentioned our own pick in addition to that) for a young NHL quality D.

Would be really stupid but I still don't really buy that the Avs are doing a proper rebuild...
I am not sure Makar would be on the table but I shudder to think how much he would be willing to give up if he thinks he can re-sign him.

I just hope OEL makes it clear beforehand that he has no interest in signing any contract with the Avs.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't think they should trade OEL.
Even if they do, why would they do it before the draft?
Before more stink of this awful season sticks to him. Also, he's worth a hell of a lot more for a team to get two playoff runs out of him rather than a single playoff run, if they end up not re-signing him. The time is now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Canes fans hate players on short contracts...
Their GM feels the same way according to a few interviews he has given...

Hanifin was completely off the table for Duchene for that reason.
OEL is worth quite a bit more than Duchene but given that the Canes arguably need a Duchene 10x more than an OEL with their amazing defensive core, that proposal probably won't be well received unless he comes with an extension which can't happen for another 8 months...

Has OEL said anything about re-signing?

Dallas and Heiskanen might be your best option but I am not sure I would trade Heiskanen if I am Dallas given how amazing he looks and how much younger and cheaper he is.

I fear that Sakic might put way too much on the table for OEL (Multiple 1sts, one of our top end Ds, fwd prospects, etc.).
McKenzie did say afterall that he is looking to turn around and flip some of the assets (he even mentioned our own pick in addition to that) for a young NHL quality D.

Would be really stupid but I still don't really buy that the Avs are doing a proper rebuild...
I am not sure Makar would be on the table but I shudder to think how much he would be willing to give up if he thinks he can re-sign him.

I just hope OEL makes it clear beforehand that he has no interest in signing any contract with the Avs.
Makes sense. I also agree about Heiskanen. He's never played for them. OEL is the same age as their core. Their window is now, and as it stands they aren't close. OEL completely changes things for them. That's worth a pure prospect like Heiskanen. Especially since they didn't even really "earn" him. Just plain dumb lottery luck. That's a chip you can afford to trade in a piece like OEL.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I would love to see him actually get traded this season. Hate seeing such an unbelievable talent on a team like the Yotes. Id love to see him actually on a good team and how much better he will be

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
They're all "good" pieces for a franchise player, regardless of term on OEL.
OEL won't be sticking around after his contract is up. The Yotes won't be getting an elite piece for 1.5 years of OEL. In fact I see OEL getting moved in the offseason for a lesser package

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00