Speculation: Brian Lawton: OEL will be the next big trade

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah I feel like OEL is pretty overrated right now. Watching some of his past games, he constantly makes bad plays. Last game as well. Considering the contract situation, I really don't think he's worth all that much.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I believe OEL retains a lot of value but I do have to question how much he's going to get in a hypothetical trade. Some of these proposed trades are madness. You just don't gut a team for a player like this. To me, he's not the kind of guy that is going to necessarily put a contender over the top. I also don't think he's the type of player that can turn a middle of the pack team into something greater.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I believe OEL retains a lot of value but I do have to question how much he's going to get in a hypothetical trade. Some of these proposed trades are madness. You just don't gut a team for a player like this. To me, he's not the kind of guy that is going to necessarily put a contender over the top. I also don't think he's the type of player that can turn a middle of the pack team into something greater.
I think he's exactly that kind of player. But he needs to get out of Arizona. Fresh start. A player can only stay tied to this boat anchor of a franchise so long before they're dragged down into the mud.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

An extended DeHaan, Ho-Sang, Aho/Toews/Witherspoon (Arizona chooses which) and a 1st in 2018 is definitely fair

If futures are not desired by Arizona then an extended DeHaan, Nelson and Beauvillier is the offer. If they want a goalie from our system we can add our top AHL goalie, Gibson. He's not likely to be special but he could be useful as a backup when injuries hit.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Well,
1. Not a bottom 10 team.
2. He doesn't have a choice.

So..

And the Isles are on the outskirts of a top 10 team, OEL would put them over.

Islanders are not even a sure playoff team.

And if OEL gets traded there, you do realize that they have to give considerable assets up too, right?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
An extended DeHaan, Ho-Sang, Aho/Toews/Witherspoon (Arizona chooses which) and a 1st in 2018 is definitely fair

If futures are not desired by Arizona then an extended DeHaan, Nelson and Beauvillier is the offer. If they want a goalie from our system we can add our top AHL goalie, Gibson. He's not likely to be special but he could be useful as a backup when injuries hit.

That's a fair offer and one I wasn't referring to.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Islanders are not even a sure playoff team.

And if OEL gets traded there, you do realize that they have to give considerable assets up too, right?
More of a playoff team than a bottom ten team and no I didn't realize.. kinda thought he would get waived and fall to us.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Hard to maximize value in a return for a player when player isn’t playing like he’s advertised.

He may just need to get out of AZ, but am I wagering the assets it would take on that?

.....I wouldn’t.

rt

May 13, 2004
Hard to maximize value in a return for a player when player isn’t playing like he’s advertised.

He may just need to get out of AZ, but am I wagering the assets it would take on that?

.....I wouldn’t.
He was a top 10 D in the world at 24. Now he's 26 and he's playing "only" like an average first pairing D. It's a big step back for him, no doubt. There are very good excuses. He had a broken hand and a dying mother last season. This year it's a leg injury and a horrifying train wreck of a team. That said, you're right. He's NOT playing at the same level. There is an element of a gamble. Especially with his having only one and a half seasons (two playoff runs) left on his deal. It does hurt his value. That said, he's definitely worth a lot. He's very likely to rebound with a change of scenery. If he hadn't hit this rough patch, the Coyotes would never dream of trading him in the first place.

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
Even though he might not be a true stud #1 anymore for whatever reason, he is the type of D Edmonton needs to take the next step. The only thing that makes me a little gun shy is the 7-8 million per he is going to be looking for in his next contract. If they can extend him, at 7 per over 6-7 years I would offer this

2018 1st round pick, Nurse, Puljujärvi, Slepyshev for OEL and Duclair

I don't think you're getting away in this deal without Nurse going the other way. You also need to remove some salary commitments from the Oilers and Nurse will be due 4+ in his next contract. That leaves about 1.5 in extra salary for the Oilers next season before they need to rejig things to fit OEL's 7 million into the salary structure. Also, the addition of OEL essentially pushes one of Sekera or Nurse to the right side or the press box.

rt

May 13, 2004
Even though he might not be a true stud #1 anymore for whatever reason, he is the type of D Edmonton needs to take the next step. The only thing that makes me a little gun shy is the 7-8 million per he is going to be looking for in his next contract. If they can extend him, at 7 per over 6-7 years I would offer this

2018 1st round pick, Nurse, Puljujärvi, Slepyshev for OEL and Duclair

I don't think you're getting away in this deal without Nurse going the other way. You also need to remove some salary commitments from the Oilers and Nurse will be due 4+ in his next contract. That leaves about 1.5 in extra salary for the Oilers next season before they need to rejig things to fit OEL's 7 million into the salary structure. Also, the addition of OEL essentially pushes one of Sekera or Nurse to the right side or the press box.
Replace Slepyshev with Bear and take out Duclair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad