Confirmed with Link: Brian Boyle to NJD. 2 year Deal

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'll give gorton credit, he cut a great deal with shattenkirk. Low cap hit, low term. If he's junk, he'll be cut soon enough. If the team is junk, he can bolt after 4 years as well, or the rags will be able to deal his contract easily.

Pretty easy when the player gives up a lot of his leverage like he did.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I hope we score a ton of points gliding down his side of the ice, and that his partner is unable to cover for him. They better hope his anchor is good enough for the challenge

His anchor will be McDoughnut and considering how he got schooled a bunch of times in the playoffs, I would say he isn't up to the task

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think no one wanted 7x7, it was preferable either he get offered term OR salary.

Also what is the argument for why people hate Boyle? Other than 2 years at 2.55M, because, you know, we know exactly how he will be as a player in his 2 years with us

There was a very loud contingent very willing to go 7 x 7.

I don't hate Boyle at all.

I dislike that he is the big move of the day.

And I dislike it only because Shero and portions of the fanbase have suggested we were going to be making consequential moves.

Boyle is not a consequential move.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

And I dislike it only because Shero and portions of the fanbase have suggested we were going to be making consequential moves.

There are still moves to be made though. And what people have said, the players have to agree to come here too

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

its just the first day

why would you listen to what fans have to say... they have no impact on decision making.. i never heard anyone from the organization say they would be making deals.. only that if the opportunity to improve team presented itself they would try and we have no way of knowing if they offered shatt... as for any other free agents that were available today ..no thanks

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
its just the first day

why would you listen to what fans have to say..
. they have no impact on decision making.. i never heard anyone from the organization say they would be making deals.. only that if the opportunity to improve team presented itself they would try and we have no way of knowing if they offered shatt... as for any other free agents that were available today ..no thanks

I like to listen to other people when I'm discussing a topic.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Also what is the argument for why people hate Boyle? Other than 2 years at 2.55M, because, you know, we know exactly how he will be as a player in his 2 years with us

The argument I suppose is that he's a luxury for a team that's not going to sniff the playoffs this year. Not like we can't afford a luxury though since we're nowhere near the cap.

I don't buy the he's blocking kids argument either but that's already been discussed.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The argument I suppose is that he's a luxury for a team that's not going to sniff the playoffs this year. Not like we can't afford a luxury though since we're nowhere near the cap.

I don't buy the he's blocking kids argument either but that's already been discussed.

We needed sandpaper and some leadership on this team.

These guys were embarrassingly soft last year.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't think anyone is arguing that it is the missing piece.. i think the people that like it are having an easier time recognizing that this group doesn't have and has not had much leadership in recent years...and this is a guy that can potentially fill that intangible void.. for a sort of low end signing i really like this one.. yes it is underwhelming when compared to shattenkirk but it doesn't make it a non consequential move..

If people want to be excited by the move, that's fine, but to me, it's signing another fourth liner for the fourth line carousel we've been riding for years. To me, that's not particularly consequential. I'm not really looking for an argument, just stating my perspective, which was apparently offensive and controversial to some, even though I would have considered my observation that signing a fourth liner is a meh move fairly generic and neutral.

You can also talk about the Devils needing leadership, but it's very telling about our team if we are looking to an incoming fourth liner to provide that. That should be coming from star players and players with letters on their jerseys. I would agree that there has been a leadership void on the team especially last season, but people jumped all over me for suggesting as much this season, so it is convenient that the tune is changing now that Boyle has been brought in apparently to fill that role. It's not a bad signing per say, just a very boring one for just another fourth liner type.

Bottom line I think it's a basically insignificant move. I wouldn't wring my hands over it, but I wouldn't clap them over it either. As I say, I just sort of shrugged at the signing. I think people are interpreting that more negatively than I mean.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean I could see him playing on the third line to annoy everyone but really they shouldn't have to play him on the third line with all the centers and potential centers they do have - Zajac, Henrique, Hischier, Zacha, McLeod, Quenneville. Surely two of the latter five can be top nine centers along with Zajac.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I really do not think Boyle will be the 3C unless there's a lot of injuries.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
When was the last time one of our bottom 6 centers scored 10 goals? Boyle seems to do it every year.

edit you said bottom six, well Rob Niedermayer had 10 in 08-09. 4th line best I can find is Ryan Carter with 7, this is since 2003.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Fun fact: Brian Boyle produced more goals and points/60 at evens than Henrique this year.

PP too, actually.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Boyle is extremely effective in his role. I think he's going to become a fan favorite quickly. He's got the workman's mentality that resonates well.

I'm looking forward to our first game against the Rags just b/c of his comments today. Hope he drills Vesey and gives Shattenkirk a DX crotch chop. We'll lose 4-2 but that moment will be worth it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Boyle is extremely effective in his role. I think he's going to become a fan favorite quickly. He's got the workman's mentality that resonates well.

I'm looking forward to our first game against the Rags just b/c of his comments today. Hope he drills Vesey and gives Shattenkirk a DX crotch chop. We'll lose 4-2 but that moment will be worth it.

All these kids need mentors. He might be able to give Wood a few tips to get his game under control.

Last edited:

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
We needed sandpaper and some leadership on this team.

These guys were embarrassingly soft last year.

Yeah, I definately agree. This isn't sexy move but it makes the Devils bottom 6 better which have been a really big problem for a long time now. As some of you have said Boyle is one of the best 4th line centers in the NHL, and it's important that the 3rd and 4th line can also make goals every now and then.

I really like this signing.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
If you listened to Boyle's conference call, he states that Devils reached out because they thought Boyle was "needed".

Boyle himself had conversations with Hynes already about his role on the team. If you consider the overall trend we have with vets and then account for the influx of youth we have, I think Boyle will get 3C minutes and some PP2 time. I honestly don't think he'd be here if we gave him a 4C role. He could have stayed in Toronto for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad