Confirmed with Link: Brian Boyle to NJD. 2 year Deal

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I am saying Brian Boyle is also an irrelevant forward who we will probably want off our team after seeing him play for a year.

Yup.

And we won't be able to move him because of the 2nd year we gave him and nobody will want on their books at 2.55

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Boyle is one of the best 4th line centers in the NHL. We had a need for a bottom 6 center.

This is just complaining just to complain. Not surprised, though.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
On a day when the hope was to land a #1 D, but the best we could come up with was Brian Boyle?

Let the debate about ownerships willingness to spend resume.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Boyle, Zajac, Greene - long careers, pretty consistent players night-to-night.

I get the signing. I don't think it was necessary, but I get it. When we're being smoked 6-2 in the second period, someone has to push back and Zajac/Greene are not those types.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
On a day when the hope was to land a #1 D, but the best we could come up with was Brian Boyle?

uh what?

there was no #1 DMan available today.

and the best one was going to sign with the Rangers no matter what. The contract he took proves that.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
uh what?

there was no #1 DMan available today.

and the best one was going to sign with the Rangers no matter what. The contract he took proves that.

seriously.... people think if shattenkirk was a true #1 D some other good organizations that he would have wanted to play for didn't offer up? he wanted to play for the rangers its that simple....

I am surprised people are all of a sudden calling this off season a failure because we didn't land shatt. I'm sure shero made an offer.. it didn't work out.. oh well. we still added #1 and #4 center in the last week... we still have the potential for a kovalchuck trade... and some other free agents... etc. lets see how it play out

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
seriously.... people think if shattenkirk was a true #1 D some other good organizations that he would have wanted to play for didn't offer up? he wanted to play for the rangers its that simple....

I am surprised people are all of a sudden calling this off season a failure because we didn't land shatt. I'm sure shero made an offer.. it didn't work out.. oh well. we still added #1 and #4 center in the last week... we still have the potential for a kovalchuck trade... and some other free agents... etc. lets see how it play out

We did make an offer. They didn't want to go to 6 years and he wasn't taking less to play here.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

There is a difference between the frustation you are responding to and those who think this offseason is a failure.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We did make an offer. They didn't want to go to 6 years and he wasn't taking less to play here.

Which is a debate in itself.

My argument prior to today was a reluctance to go long term, while some who wanted big $$ for 7 years are now acting as if this was the smart move all along.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Indeed. It's not the end of the world, but it is a very meh move.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it is the missing piece.. i think the people that like it are having an easier time recognizing that this group doesn't have and has not had much leadership in recent years...and this is a guy that can potentially fill that intangible void.. for a sort of low end signing i really like this one.. yes it is underwhelming when compared to shattenkirk but it doesn't make it a non consequential move..

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Boyle is a vet presence, something we sorely lack amongst our fwd's. But a 33 yr old 4th liner was brought in to be a leader? I'm not buying in to that narrative.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

How does ownership have anything to do with this? Unless you think we just gave Shatty a token he'll never take this offer to make it look like we're doing something.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Boyle is a vet presence, something we sorely lack amongst our fwd's. But a 33 yr old 4th liner was brought in to be a leader? I'm not buying in to that narrative.

not saying they are anointing him captain.. but yes he can have a leadership role on this team... you don't have to be on the first line to be an effective leader.. not discounting what you say but i don't think his ice time really matters in this instance... he will play 8-10 mins per night and kill penalties.. he can lead

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
not saying they are anointing him captain.. but yes he can have a leadership role on this team... you don't have to be on the first line to be an effective leader.. not discounting what you say but i don't think his ice time really matters in this instance... he will play 8-10 mins per night and kill penalties.. he can lead

Why I wouldn't mind a year of Jagr. He can't keep up on the ice, but it would be worth it to get the kids on board with his crazy workout regiment.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Which is a debate in itself.

My argument prior to today was a reluctance to go long term, while some who wanted big $$ for 7 years are now acting as if this was the smart move all along.

I think no one wanted 7x7, it was preferable either he get offered term OR salary.

Also what is the argument for why people hate Boyle? Other than 2 years at 2.55M, because, you know, we know exactly how he will be as a player in his 2 years with us

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I think no one wanted 7x7, it was preferable either he get offered term OR salary.

Also what is the argument for why people hate Boyle? Other than 2 years at 2.55M, because, you know, we know exactly how he will be as a player in his 2 years with us

i would say there is no way the devils didn't at least match shattenkirks existing offer.. so i don't think people can lay blame on front office here.. i cannot imagine the rangers made the best offer.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i would say there is no way the devils didn't at least match shattenkirks existing offer.. so i don't think people can lay blame on front office here.. i cannot imagine the rangers made the best offer.

I'll give gorton credit, he cut a great deal with shattenkirk. Low cap hit, low term. If he's junk, he'll be cut soon enough. If the team is junk, he can bolt after 4 years as well, or the rags will be able to deal his contract easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad