Rumor: Brennan Tweet (since deleted)

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I think Karlsson considers himself too good for the earth will never win a cup and once again he will be at the center of personal drama on his team.

Maybe. I'm going to go with Occam's Razor on this one, personally.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
the rumour is someone or a number of people were on the chopping block, but because we won, everything is fine now. So being in last place isn’t the problem, being in last place and losing to the 1st place team is the problem.

Why he deleted it who knows. It’s not that salacious - half the reporters in this town at game 10 were saying the coach needs to go because of his lineup choices. The other half were saying it should be the GM.

I saw the tweet, but I don't see how that has anything to do with the GM. The rebuild is on track.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I saw the tweet, but I don't see how that has anything to do with the GM. The rebuild is on track.

Who else would get fired? The ice crew?

It's pretty clear that was the insinuation. Whether there's any truth to it? Who knows.

And it's not like Melnyk is always a thought-out, rational, well-planned decision maker. He may have like Dorion's plan a year ago and has since soured on him. Maybe watching Murray let in muffins after signing a $24M deal pushed him over the edge.

"Rebuild is on track" really doesn't mean much, and that's certainly up for debate. From what we heard, Melnyk's timeline was Stanley Cup contention next season. We're not on track for that, that's for sure, and if that's the timeline, Dorion will be on the hot seat.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

In defence of PD I think he knows firing coaches just leads to disruption. He tried to stand by Boucher until the end because I think he respected him and the work he put in and even said so, but then had to turn around a few days later and fire him.

Melnyck is toxic, and toxic people need their egos satisfied - in Melnycks case there is a record he humiliated his employees and doesn’t pay them. With that lack of respect for the people that grind for you and even cruel habits he has, you think by firing people you are showing the world you won’t tolerate mediocrity - when in reality you’re just showing the world who the true mediocre person is.

PD needs scalps. Or it’s his scalp. That’s Melnyck track record

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't know how Dorion would get away with firing DJ after supplying him this roster. Sure, some mistakes have been made by DJ too, but the roster has performed pretty much as expected.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
You are probably right Swiftwin. My guess is the "hot seat" was probably more coaching staff. Pierre and Denis John were safe.
What would have happened if the denied goal was allowed to stand? Or if the "Leaves" had not wilted in the first? and if the perennial cotyledon had not been who they normally are? Children more interested in coiffed hair and self aggrandizing messages on their skates. Two games against the Canucks. Lets hope they go better than the last time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, the GM and the Owner talked about how they would be competitive this year and while not necessarily seeing us a playoff team because of how tough the division is its clear they both had higher expectations.

GMs fire coaches, if Dorion thinks us failing to meet expectations is on the coach, DJ is on thin ice.

Owners fire GMs, if Melnyk thinks Dorion has twice hired the wrong coach to get this job done, why would he be content allowing him to hire a 3rd? Getting lots of quality prospects is the easy part of a rebuild, Dorion's job is to translate that into on ice progress, maybe Melnyk will be patient with results but so far the messaging from before the season started would suggest we are behind schedule.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Well, the GM and the Owner talked about how they would be competitive this year and while not necessarily seeing us a playoff team because of how tough the division is its clear they both had higher expectations.

GMs fire coaches, if Dorion thinks us failing to meet expectations is on the coach, DJ is on thin ice.

Owners fire GMs, if Melnyk thinks Dorion has twice hired the wrong coach to get this job done, why would he be content allowing him to hire a 3rd? Getting lots of quality prospects is the easy part of a rebuild, Dorion's job is to translate that into on ice progress, maybe Melnyk will be patient with results but so far the messaging from before the season started would suggest we are behind schedule.

Did they? I thought Melnyk already admitted on Toronto radio earlier that this year would be very very difficult because of the North division situation.

Also, coaches get fired all the time. GMs don't get fired over it. The average NHL coach lasts 2.4 seasons. Smith is only the 2nd hire by Dorion. Boucher lasted almost 3 seasons.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
this thread is off track by an Almonte county mile... keep it civil or it gets closed.

accident.jpg

I'll take quotes I'll be using in the future for 800, Alex

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
That's the thing. I know we all like to say "did you actually expect this team to be good this year?" and so on. And rational fans will agree that they didn't expect the team to be overly competitive.

A rational fan Melnyk is not. There was messaging before the season that he thought the team would punch above its weight and compete. I'd wager he's pissed with the results so far and wants to know why this team isn't pushing for the playoffs.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Goalie coach.

Montreal did it. I mean, maybe if we had Carey Price inner it would make sense, but a 5 game rookie and a goalie 70% of the fan base from Pitt told us he wasn’t who we thought he was - someone has to take the blame.

In Groulxs defence when your options are Hogberg or Murray, you go with Murray. Even though it’s still the wrong choice

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Did they? I thought Melnyk already admitted on Toronto radio earlier that this year would be very very difficult because of the North division situation.

Also, coaches get fired all the time. GMs don't get fired over it. The average NHL coach lasts 2.4 seasons. Smith is only the 2nd hire by Dorion. Boucher lasted almost 3 seasons.

“Everybody’s on the same page to try to be competitive,” Melnyk said. “I think our fans would really, really enjoy to see us in the playoffs this year. And then once you get to the playoffs, we all say, you know, then anything can happen … I think our big years are coming in the next three years.”

So it depends what you think "on track" is.

Most fans here think we'll probably be a bad team again next year, and will start competing for the playoffs in 22-23. That's probably a realistic expectation, and we're on track for that timeline.

But it doesn't seem to align with Melnyk's view, who thinks we should be competing for the Cup over the next 3 seasons.

At the end of the day, the only expectations that matter are Melnyk's. Maybe he's just being overly positive in the press and understands that we're several years away, still. But maybe not. Who knows.

We can't deny that Melnyk actually gave Dorion the green light to spend some money this summer. That points to him thinking we were on the cusp of competing. It hasn't turned out that way, so far.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Wonder who they’d tap. Boudreaux? Rather not. Tourigny? Good with development.
Melnyk is the one who absolutely needs to go, but for that to happen he needs someone who is willing to overpay big time to acquire the team.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
I don't see any major benefit to Melnyk in making changes prior to the end of the season.

I recall the brief clip of Melnyk entering a vehicle shortly after the Stone trade and telling the journalist that "It was the plan all along". That trade was the last major piece in dismantling the team.
If Melnyk was sincere then surely he knew the team would be terrible for a few years and the performance should be no surprise. Every good player was jettisoned.

The team's performance this season is not costing Melnyk money today so there is no immediate financial reason to make a change. I assume replacing Dorion and coach(es) would cost Melnyk money.

It comes down to Melnyk's true objective. If it is FYOUS (I can't type that without chuckling) then it comes down to his confidence that Dorion can draft well and set up an organization to develop players properly. It is too early to judge Dorion's drafting but as GM and head scout I think his record is reasonable. In terms of development, Belleville last year was very good (if that is an indicator).

If DJ is hurting player development then that is a big factor. I'm not good enough to judge this point.

Another factor for Melnyk to consider is Dorion's trade/signing judgement. In my opinion the signings of Murray and others should be a concern to Melnyk because future signing decisions could be the difference between an average team and an above average team (as opposed to a bad team and a not so bad team today). I assume Murray was signed to be the FYOUS goalie.

On the other hand....with a trade deadline looming now could be the time to change the GM.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I didn't think so at the time, but in hindsight, it looks like Dorion made terrible choices in acquiring Stepan, Murray, J. Brown, Paquette, Coburn, Glachenyuk. But he didn't give up much for any of them. I thought at the time it made a lot of sense to surround the youngsters with experienced vets. I am not sure if anyone realized how far they had all declined.

Dorion should've gone after Spezza before he signed with the Leafs and Corey Perry would have been a great addition this past summer.

Personally I think Gudbranson is a soldier who goes to war every game and gets no credit from the fan base. I like what he brings.

Should Dorion be fired? I say no. Matt Murray was a bad move but overall the rebuild looks promising. Exciting young players already here and many more on the way. We will have a great young team in two years as long as we find a solid goalie to stabilize the net.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well whos job do you think is being suggested in the tweet?

I thought coaches were getting fired this yr after wins not losses? If Ottawa wins again tonight DJ should be concerned. If they win the next two PD could get the ax. Three wins in a row & EM, DJ & PD could all be on the unemployment line. :laugh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

First, Melnyk said this wasn't the year because of the north division when diacusing having all the pieces to win it all. It was pretty clear expectations for this season were not bottom of the league. We expected to do better.

Second, the average GM tenure is 5.5 years but that number is dragged up by some of the alk time greats, the median is around 4 years.

Either way, Dorion is coming up on or has already passed what should be expected and so far only has the one successfull season (his first) to brag about when defending his work.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Actually it was because Murray let clowns like Karlsson and Spezza run the room. Dorion had to clean out the me first attitude that took hold once Paul Maclean dared to try and get these guys to have a team first attitude and was fired because of it.
Karlsson and Spezza were two of the best players to ever play for this organization and I am proud to have been a fan when they were here and we were lucky to have been able to watch them play. I guarantee you that if you were a real fan, you were cheering these guys on as well as everyone else.

Quit dragging them through the mud, they are gone.

Reactions: BloodRedArmy

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I wonder if Eugene is upset that he was duped into thinking that this team could compete and that his dollars were spent well in the off-season. I can't help but think of this quote from December 2020, "This is the team, with what we have right now, I believe can win a Stanley Cup already, and that's without adding some veterans, which we plan to do."

To me, it sounds like he's been fed BS from Dorion. It can't be a good feeling being fooled, especially when the perpetrator is Pierre Dorion. That guy couldn't sell me a cup of ice in the Sahara.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad