Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I have a bad feeling this is going to drag into the regular season. Not looking good for future player signings if we can't get our franchise player signed.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I have heard this opinion thrown out a few times and I cannot help but laugh at the irony of it...

So the Senators have recently signed Chabot, White, Murray and Batherson to substantial long term contracts, and then they approach Tkachuk with a massive 8x8 contract....and you think that Tkachuk feels that ownership is not committed to building a contender around him?

Does a 64 million dollar offer to a 22 year old who has not actually scored more than 45 points thus far in his career not indicate that ownership is trying to build a contender by signing its own drafted players?

You know this team is still below the cap floor right?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Sanford will be an elite replacement for him on the Norris/Batherson line.

We're set now. We don't need Tkachuk any longer.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Are you having a laugh? Man's the face of the franchise and absolutely should be the captain. Come on now

Thats because he was gifted the role by Senators management as their shiny new toy.

Tkachuk hasn't done anything in his career to say he is a franchise player.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Unfortunately he has not shown to be a franchise player, I have no idea why everyone is pretending he is
Leading the league in several categories as a 20 & 21 yr old, being the face of the franchise, being the leading scorer for the last two yrs & having the hockey world talk endlessly about his potential. I think that categorizes him as a franchise player, not to mention the talk about them wanting him to be their captain. Chabot could also be categorized as a franchiser player although he plays a completely different style but equally as effective, although less pronounced.

Reactions: SensFactor

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Are you having a laugh? Man's the face of the franchise and absolutely should be the captain. Come on now

If you have yet to best Teirneys point total from his first year as a sen you should not be payed as or thought of as a franchise player.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Leading the league in several categories as a 20 & 21 yr old, being the face of the franchise, being the leading scorer for the last two yrs & having the hockey world talk endlessly about his potential. I think that categorizes him as a franchise player, not to mention the talk about them wanting him to be their captain. Chabot could also be categorized as a franchiser player although he plays a completely different style but equally as effective, although less pronounced.

Unless he has taken the next step I dont see it, if you could clone people and had a top line of all Brady vrs all Norris last year I think Norris would take him.
He is poor defensively falls down and does not put up a lot of points.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I have heard this opinion thrown out a few times and I cannot help but laugh at the irony of it...

So the Senators have recently signed Chabot, White, Murray and Batherson to substantial long term contracts, and then they approach Tkachuk with a massive 8x8 contract....and you think that Tkachuk feels that ownership is not committed to building a contender around him?

Does a 64 million dollar offer to a 22 year old who has not actually scored more than 45 points thus far in his career not indicate that ownership is trying to build a contender by signing its own drafted players?

Dude you need to get your lips off of Melnyk's boots for a minute.

Signing a couple of good players does not a contender make. We're literally sitting at the cap floor, and had to go trade for another bottom line guy in Sanford to make it happen. We also didn't go find the top line C or 2nd line RW or the top-4 D Dorion himself said we needed in order to compete.

As it stands we're still very much a bottom-10 team. But keep blaming Tkachuk for being "greedy" instead of pointing fingers at the people responsible for his hesitation to sign long term with a shoestring budget team.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Dude you need to get your lips off of Melnyk's boots for a minute.

Signing a couple of good players does not a contender make. We're literally sitting at the cap floor, and had to go trade for another bottom line guy in Sanford to make it happen. We also didn't go find the top line C or 2nd line RW or the top-4 D Dorion himself said we needed in order to compete.

As it stands we're still very much a bottom-10 team. But keep blaming Tkachuk for being "greedy" instead of pointing fingers at the people responsible for his hesitation to sign long term with a shoestring budget team.
Gonna have to agree on this. Signing Brady would be the big one for me to shows that times have changed and we weren't being lied to again, but here we are.

What we've done so far is the bare minimum of acceptable. Losing Brady or signing him to a death sentence of bridge deal is also unacceptable. It has to be a long term deal.

I was actually thinking of briefly ending my Melnyk boycott to get a Brady jersey. Why in the world would I do that now?

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Gonna have to agree on this. Signing Brady would be the big one for me to shows that times have changed and we weren't being lied to again, but here we are.

What we've done so far is the bare minimum of acceptable. Losing Brady or signing him to a death sentence of bridge deal is also unacceptable. It has to be a long term deal.

I was actually thinking of briefly ending my Melnyk boycott to get a Brady jersey. Why in the world would I do that now?

Yeah, I agree, mostly. But overpaying for Brady could really handcuff this team in the future. I wouldn’t want to hear the team’s maxed out its ability to pay bonuses after giving in to his demands and maybe one other of its RFAs in the near future. Or commuted 10% of its cap space to Brady.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
If Brady isn't the Sens heartbeat which player is? Chabot? 20 year old Stuztle? UFA pending Nick Paul? Swiss Cheese Murray? No other player really has a case expect for Chabot and I don't see him as the Captain.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Unless he has taken the next step I dont see it, if you could clone people and had a top line of all Brady vrs all Norris last year I think Norris would take him.
He is poor defensively falls down and does not put up a lot of points.
The other side of that coin is if you take Brady off the line with Norris last yr it's possible that Norris doesn't do as well because Brady is the one causing all the confusion in front of the net giving Norris much more room to work with. It works both ways & is simply conjecture or theoretical what if scenarios to suggest, we don't know, it's just an opinion.

What we do know is that they work well together along with Batherson & maybe, just maybe they need each other together for each of them to succeed individually. It's also an indicator that you need different kinds of players & styles sometimes on the same line for certain players to succeed, some do better with these guys & not so good with those guys. It is what it is.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Tkachuk's 8 mil, then Norris 7 mil, then Stützle's 8.5 mil, then Sanderson's 9 mil = 32.5 mil + 59 mil we're already spending = 91.5 million.

I think we're not spending because this could be what we're looking at for signings in 2021, 22, 23, and 24 offseasons. Yeah, it's not that simple because some players will leave and some players not living up to or exceeding expectations, etc. but I don't think "Melnyk has to spend more to show that he's willing to compete" is (Edit: changed to "is" from "isn't") as valid as it used to be when he's been showing recently that he's absolutely willing to spend to retain our current group of young players (and even add with signings like Murray and Dadonov). Brady waiting for the team to show they're willing to spend before signing long term shouldn't be a valid excuse for a deal not being done. If we're offering 8x8, money isn't the issue either. Don't give me the bonuses and structure line - 8x8 straight salary is already inflated for what he's shown. If it's been offered by the team and not accepted by Brady's camp, he wants to bleed the team dry or he wants a short deal to hit UFA. Both of those things are well within his rights as a player, but I don't think we're setting ourselves up for success caving and taking either of these scenarios.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Everyone knows that this was going to be a difficult negotiation. Any franchise would be in the same situation unless they went full Dubas and made a horrible capitulation.

Assen na yo!
You know everytime we have to trade of these guys away they sign with the next team within days, hell, minutes it feels like. I'm sorry, but we're acting like spectators in this league at times

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The other side of that coin is if you take Brady off the line with Norris last yr it's possible that Norris doesn't do as well because Brady is the one causing all the confusion in front of the net giving Norris much more room to work with. It works both ways & is simply conjecture or theoretical what if scenarios to suggest, we don't know, it's just an opinion.

What we do know is that they work well together along with Batherson & maybe, just maybe they need each other together for each of them to succeed individually. It's also an indicator that you need different kinds of players & styles sometimes on the same line for certain players to succeed, some do better with these guys & not so good with those guys. It is what it is.

Still he is a rookie with almost zero chance of being a franchise player and slim chance of being a true top line center and he scored just as much as our “franchise player” so did Batherson I understand Brady is a throwback and a fun player but I doubt many teams would be paying him like a high end top line player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad