Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tkachuk's 8 mil, then Norris 7 mil, then Stützle's 8.5 mil, then Sanderson's 9 mil = 32.5 mil + 59 mil we're already spending = 91.5 million.

I think we're not spending because this could be what we're looking at for signings in 2021, 22, 23, and 24 offseasons. Yeah, it's not that simple because some players will leave and some players not living up to or exceeding expectations, etc. but I don't think "Melnyk has to spend more to show that he's willing to compete" isn't as valid as it used to be when he's been showing recently that he's absolutely willing to spend to retain our current group of young players (and even add with signings like Murray and Dadonov). Brady waiting for the team to show they're willing to spend before signing long term shouldn't be a valid excuse for a deal not being done. If we're offering 8x8, money isn't the issue either. Don't give me the bonuses and structure line - 8x8 straight salary is already inflated for what he's shown. If it's been offered by the team and not accepted by Brady's camp, he wants to bleed the team dry or he wants a short deal to hit UFA. Both of those things are well within his rights as a player, but I don't think we're setting ourselves up for success caving and taking either of these scenarios.
You had me agreeing with you until the second part of the last line. We are also not setting ourselves up for success if we let him go given how much he already means to the team & franchise. What will the media now say about this team & ownership being cheap & allowing a future star player to leave? How can fans & media alike believe the ownership is committed to winning if they don't sign their prize possession & best young player? IMO it's the short term deal versus the long term deal.

This is going to be very difficult for PD to maneuver not just for this negotiation but the next one if a short deal is what is agreed upon in this current negotiations. They need Tkachuk in the fold more than Tkachuk needs them, most teams will pay him what he wants, this team unfortunately can least afford it later.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Still he is a rookie with almost zero chance of being a franchise player and slim chance of being a true top line center and he scored just as much as our “franchise player” so did Batherson I understand Brady is a throwback and a fun player but I doubt many teams would be paying him like a high end top line player

On this we disagree.

Reactions: bert

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
You had me agreeing with you until the second part of the last line. We are also not setting ourselves up for success if we let him go given how much he already means to the team & franchise. What will the media now say about this team & ownership being cheap & allowing a future star player to leave? How can fans & media alike believe the ownership is committed to winning if they don't sign their prize possession & best young player? IMO it's the short term deal versus the long term deal.

This is going to be very difficult for PD to maneuver not just for this negotiation but the next one if a short deal is what is agreed upon in this current negotiations. They need Tkachuk in the fold more than Tkachuk needs them, most teams will pay him what he wants, this team unfortunately can least afford it later.
Indeed. At some points the Sens HAVE to put their big boy pants on, take a risk and pay a player what their expected worth is. That's the whole point of long term deals. If we do a bridge deal for Brady it means we arent paying him what he should get now, so what hope is there of paying for him in a couple years when he'll almost defintiely be worth even more money? Losing Brady is unacceptable, end of story.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
For anyone who didn't see the Legion of Strength STL videos of Tkachuk's off ice training I decided to make it into a Youtube video.

Reactions: Dionysus

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
This is out of control the kid has never scored over 50 points
I. Don't. Care.

He means too much to lose. To the fans especially. And you're taking the mick if you think he's seriously peaked already or something like that in terms of points total. He's only going to get better, and we HAVE to pay him to keep him to see the player he's going to become

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Paying a 50 point player 8 million isn’t good either
Losing the heart and soul of the franchise, for the upteenth time, because of ebenezer scrooge tight waddery, again, is catastrophic.

We do this again, we're losing Stutzle in a few years time as well

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
If we do that he's gone. We've seen it enough times where we go short term, can't afford to pay him a couple years later and he's traded for nothing. We can't afford to mess this up

If we can’t afford to pay him he will demand one hell of a good return. He and his family don’t want him to play in Ottawa he was floored when they met his over the top asking price so they went full prick mode and started being unreasonable .
I hope they figure something out but if your going to spend all your budget on a top heavy team they have to produce

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
If we can’t afford to pay him he will demand one hell of a good return. He and his family don’t want him to play in Ottawa he was floored when they met his over the top asking price so they went full prick mode and started being unreasonable .
I hope they figure something out but if your going to spend all your budget on a top heavy team they have to produce
We're below the cap floor mate, even after signing Chabot and White and so on. There's a lot of budget to play with. Unless of course the internal cap ceiling is still the cap floor, which according the ownership was totally gonna not happen for like a five year period or whatever starting right around now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is out of control the kid has never scored over 50 points
Sure, as a result of the last two seasons being shortened he's yet to hit 50 pts in a season, though he did score 55 in the last 82 games he played.

He's never going to be an offensive juggernaut, but he provides more offence than some are giving credit.

Reactions: Dionysus

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If we do that he's gone. We've seen it enough times where we go short term, can't afford to pay him a couple years later and he's traded for nothing. We can't afford to mess this up
How many times have we seen it. I count Mark Stone. Who else are you talking about ?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Losing the heart and soul of the franchise, for the upteenth time, because of ebenezer scrooge tight waddery, again, is catastrophic.

We do this again, we're losing Stutzle in a few years time as well

I'm no fan of Melnyk and his penny pinching ways. ( Why own a sports franchise if you aren't serious about winning?)

But how can you be cheap when you are overpaying for something?

45 point career high and he might have been offered the richest contract in franchise history.

The only one coming off as greedy here is Brady.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
How many times have we seen it. I count Mark Stone. Who else are you talking about ?
I mean before that, we just didnt bother with bridge deals and traded them right away a bunch of times.

But still, the Mark Stone example is a valid one to use and there's every chance here we do that again with Brady. All signs are pointing to a good chance of it

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Q
I'm no fan of Melnyk and his penny pinching ways. ( Why own a sports franchise if you aren't serious about winning?)

But how can you be cheap when you are overpaying for something?

45 point career high and he might have been offered the richest contract in franchise history. The only one coming off as greedy here is Brady.
We are right now with a month to go before the season starts still below the cap floor. That is the prime example of being cheap. And let's not forget the times the club was finding clever ways to circumvent the very cap floor.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
We're below the cap floor mate, even after signing Chabot and White and so on. There's a lot of budget to play with. Unless of course the internal cap ceiling is still the cap floor, which according the ownership was totally gonna not happen for like a five year period or whatever starting right around now.

Raises to Norris, Brown if we can afford him, jimmy Stu, Bran if we keep him Paul if we keep him Zub if we keep him.
The budget will vanish so fast it’s not even funny

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Raises to Norris, Brown if we can afford him, jimmy Stu, Bran if we keep him Paul if we keep him Zub if we keep him.
The budget will vanish so fast it’s not even funny
Jimmy Stu will depend on what happens with Brady. If Stu becomes as good as we hope then well, he's not gonna be cheap. In terms of the others, well, plenty of ifs there but this is just life in the NHL. Are we seriously just going to keep hugging the cap floor because the club is too cowardly to actually have a go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad