Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I'm no fan of Melnyk and his penny pinching ways. ( Why own a sports franchise if you aren't serious about winning?)

But how can you be cheap when you are overpaying for something?

45 point career high and he might have been offered the richest contract in franchise history.

The only one coming off as greedy here is Brady.

Entitled generation. They're all going to be overpaid, and it probably won't be here. If managment don't smarten up and get ship straightened out we're going to be a very bad team for a very long time.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Raises to Norris, Brown if we can afford him, jimmy Stu, Bran if we keep him Paul if we keep him Zub if we keep him.
The budget will vanish so fast it’s not even funny

That's the idea, it means you have good players that deserve to be paid. If the team is going to contend for anything, the young guys will have to develop into consistent players, earn big contracts, and the Sens will have to pay the most important pieces.

Maybe trade some when the time is right from positions of strength. Fill in the roster with cheap ELC's, and a small amount of well-thought out trades/UFA signings.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Jimmy Stu will depend on what happens with Brady. If Stu becomes as good as we hope then well, he's not gonna be cheap. In terms of the others, well, plenty of ifs there but this is just life in the NHL. Are we seriously just going to keep hugging the cap floor because the club is too cowardly to actually have a go?

Foolishly throwing money at guys that have never had a history of producing and have not done it yet is not brave

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Entitled generation. They're all going to be overpaid, and it probably won't be here. If managment don't smarten up and get ship straightened out we're going to be a very bad team for a very long time.
Nothing more entitled than a hockey player, with playing careers that can end at any moment or be badly changed forever, and be traded in for a younger model within a handful of years, wanting to get paid by the penny pinching 60 something ''billionaire'' who chills out in barbados all the time.

Incredibly ignorant to villafy players over the owners. Honestly with all due respect, someone make it make sense to me, please?

Reactions: Bileur and Dionysus

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Going to be? This team has missed the playoffs the last four years, and aside from a freak run to the conference finals we've been inconsistently treading water for a decade. And you're worried now that management needs to smarten up?

Yeah, let's let Brady walk to another team that'll no doubt overpay for him. He'll probably see a lot more playoff hockey out of it.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If we do that he's gone. We've seen it enough times where we go short term, can't afford to pay him a couple years later and he's traded for nothing. We can't afford to mess this up
What is going to happen if we trade Tkachuk in a couple of years because he doesn't want to stay long term? You guys keep making these declarative statements like "we can't afford to mess this up" and I'm honestly wondering what you guys think the fallout will be? You think things in Ottawa are going to get worse than where we stand today? You guys going to make less than $0 in financial commitment to the team? Are we going to have less than 3500 STHs?

You guys have emptied all the bullets in the chamber of your gun and you're standing there holding an empty gun to the head of the team and asking them to continue believing there's one more bullet to fire. It's so lame and honestly some of you guys and your overzealousness for the continued downfall of this team should give it a f***ing rest once in a while. It's all brimstone and fire all the time and we're wondering what's left to burn at this point?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
You know everytime we have to trade of these guys away they sign with the next team within days, hell, minutes it feels like. I'm sorry, but we're acting like spectators in this league at times

That's just an ignorant statement. Duchene didn't sign right after the was traded. Karlsson didn't sign right after he was traded. Dzingel didn't sign right after he was traded. DeMelo didn't sign right after he was traded. Ceci didn't sign right after he was traded. Brassard didn't sign right after he was traded.

Assen na yo!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Tkachuk's 8 mil, then Norris 7 mil, then Stützle's 8.5 mil, then Sanderson's 9 mil = 32.5 mil + 59 mil we're already spending = 91.5 million.

I think we're not spending because this could be what we're looking at for signings in 2021, 22, 23, and 24 offseasons. Yeah, it's not that simple because some players will leave and some players not living up to or exceeding expectations, etc. but I don't think "Melnyk has to spend more to show that he's willing to compete" is (Edit: changed to "is" from "isn't") as valid as it used to be when he's been showing recently that he's absolutely willing to spend to retain our current group of young players (and even add with signings like Murray and Dadonov). Brady waiting for the team to show they're willing to spend before signing long term shouldn't be a valid excuse for a deal not being done. If we're offering 8x8, money isn't the issue either. Don't give me the bonuses and structure line - 8x8 straight salary is already inflated for what he's shown. If it's been offered by the team and not accepted by Brady's camp, he wants to bleed the team dry or he wants a short deal to hit UFA. Both of those things are well within his rights as a player, but I don't think we're setting ourselves up for success caving and taking either of these scenarios.

Wall of text just to say "team good" and "Brady greedy!".

Again, we're sitting at the cap floor and even with brady signed we're next to last in spending. This is due to still icing a team mostly made up of kids and a couple of washed up vets. Doubt Brady is considering a bridge deal if this isn't the case.

Still very much a "prove it" situation with spending by the team. Stop spinning it the other way around.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
What is going to happen if we trade Tkachuk in a couple of years because he doesn't want to stay long term? You guys keep making these declarative statements like "we can't afford to mess this up" and I'm honestly wondering what you guys think the fallout will be? You think things in Ottawa are going to get worse than where we stand today? You guys going to make less than $0 in financial commitment to the team? Are we going to have less than 3500 STHs?

You guys have emptied all the bullets in the chamber of your gun and you're standing there holding an empty gun to the head of the team and asking them to continue believing there's one more bullet to fire. It's so lame and honestly some of you guys and your overzealousness for the continued downfall of this team should give it a f***ing rest once in a while. It's all brimstone and fire all the time and we're wondering what's left to burn at this point?

This is absolute nonsense lol.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

You're talking to people who are spending their Sunday afternoon on a hockey forum. Agree or disagree with the perspectives some of us have, you'd be hard-pressed to argue we don't care. We want what's best for the team — all of us. Me personally, no, I don't contribute financially to the team. But if we lose Tkachuk because of the same pattern of mismanagement we've seen over and over again, I'm ejecting outright. Not watching games, not following the team, nothing. I just won't be able to bring myself to care about this team's long-term success knowing they, themselves, don't care about it.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Dude you need to get your lips off of Melnyk's boots for a minute.

Signing a couple of good players does not a contender make. We're literally sitting at the cap floor, and had to go trade for another bottom line guy in Sanford to make it happen. We also didn't go find the top line C or 2nd line RW or the top-4 D Dorion himself said we needed in order to compete.

As it stands we're still very much a bottom-10 team. But keep blaming Tkachuk for being "greedy" instead of pointing fingers at the people responsible for his hesitation to sign long term with a shoestring budget team.

So if/when Brady signs, that will be enough for people to think Melnyk is committed to building a contender?

Should there be any doubt the organization wants Brady here long term?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We're below the cap floor mate, even after signing Chabot and White and so on. There's a lot of budget to play with. Unless of course the internal cap ceiling is still the cap floor, which according the ownership was totally gonna not happen for like a five year period or whatever starting right around now.

But that was then, and this is now (Covid, no seat revenue in 2020-21). I think the Melnyk budget is closer to the floor than the ceiling, probably in the bottom 5 teams in the league for this coming season. FYOUS was pure BS.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
You're talking to people who are spending their Sunday afternoon on a hockey forum. Agree or disagree with the perspectives some of us have, you'd be hard-pressed to argue we don't care. We want what's best for the team — all of us. Me personally, no, I don't contribute financially to the team. But if we lose Tkachuk because of the same pattern of mismanagement we've seen over and over again, I'm ejecting. I just won't be able to bring myself to care about this team's long-term success knowing they, themselves, don't care about it.
Indeed. I'm sure some of you lot have noticed I am an old timer that hasn't been active in here for like 2-3 years. For good reason, the team had done a Chernobyl and was being managed about as well as Chernobyl was and I fell out of love with the Sens and NHL. I stopped caring and despised it all. But now, hey look, things might be getting good again so I stupidly am getting hopeful and even excited for a new season of Sens hockey, as it just might be watchable! And here we are again, doing the same old tired garbage we were before with star players. I don't know why I even bothered. This is the time for Sens Ownership to prove people like me, the boycotters and those that are #MelnykOut WRONG and pay the man properly. This whole contract saga has been an absolute shambles for a team that's paying below the salary floor. Unacceptable

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
So if/when Brady signs, that will be enough for people to think Melnyk is committed to building a contender?

Should there be any doubt the organization wants Brady here long term?
Yes to both of those. If Brady is signed to a long-term contract, that's a clear example of Melnyk putting his money where his mouth is. And yes, the fact that a short-term extension is even bandied about gives me major doubts that the org wants Brady here long-term at the cost it'll take.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You're talking to people who are spending their Sunday afternoon on a hockey forum. Agree or disagree with the perspectives some of us have, you'd be hard-pressed to argue we don't care. We want what's best for the team — all of us. Me personally, no, I don't contribute financially to the team. But if we lose Tkachuk because of the same pattern of mismanagement we've seen over and over again, I'm ejecting outright. Not watching games, not following the team, nothing. I just won't be able to bring myself to care about this team's long-term success knowing they, themselves, don't care about it.
And has your lack of participation changed anything? Has anyone's lack of participation changed anything? Like I said, all threats in here are meritless. Resistance fighters from your couches. What happens if they bridge Brady and trade him in a year or two? What about the current situation of the team and the underlying financial landscape will substantially change in that scenario? The season ticket base is decimated; the gate revenues have cratered; fan engagement at an all time low; opinions of the team + ownership at an all time low; independent rankings put the Sens at the bottom of almost every index and category in fan confidence.

"We can't afford to mess this up" is just a pile of horseshit typed from the comfort of someone's couch. There are no more threats to make at this point. The fanbase is turned off and disengaged already.

The team has made it clear they'll take some sort of stand here on the particulars of this player's salary. So it would be nice to stop pretending like we, the fans, have any cards left to play or any bullets in the chamber of our gun to fire at the team and owner. You're not changing anything and endlessly wailing about Melnyk in every f***ing thread isn't changing jackshit either. You guys need to get over yourselves.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
And has your lack of participation changed anything? Has anyone's lack of participation changed anything? Like I said, all threats in here are meritless. Resistance fighters from your couches. What happens if they bridge Brady and trade him in a year or two? What about the current situation of the team and the underlying financial landscape will substantially change in that scenario? The season ticket base is decimated; the gate revenues have cratered; fan engagement at an all time low; opinions of the team + ownership at an all time low; independent rankings put the Sens at the bottom of almost every index and category in fan confidence.

"We can't afford to mess this up" is just a pile of horseshit typed from the comfort of someone's couch. There are no more threats to make at this point. The fanbase is turned off and disengaged already.

The team has made it clear they'll take some sort of stand here on the particulars of this player's salary. So it would be nice to stop pretending like we, the fans, have any cards left to play or any bullets in the chamber of our gun to fire at the team and owner. You're not changing anything and endlessly wailing about Melnyk in every f***ing thread isn't changing jackshit either. You guys need to get over yourselves.
Dude, we're all fans writing on a message board. We can try to affect change as much as we want, but at the end of the day I'm not exactly sure what you want us to do. Shut up and go away? Well, if this contract is bungled, you may get your wish.

Reactions: BatherSeason

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK

How quickly did the European Super League last? 3 days?

Fans have more power than they think and can do more to stick it to owners. It's a shame Sens fans have been beaten into submission so badly and have completely given up on really doing anything substantial towards Melnyk

Who knows, maybe if the Sens screw it up with Brady that will be the one that gets fans to band together and organize something. Protests outside the area, banners, billboards, etc. But alas that's a pipe dream at the moment sadly

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

The CBA gives the players 50% of each year's revenues. Brady is just trying to get his share of that.

Brady is probably worth less than Svechnikov who is getting $7.75M AAV over 8 years. We do not know what the Senators have offered. However, given recent history, it appears the Senators have not been offering competitive salaries, bonuses, etc. as we have been losing some of our better players via trade or UFA.

I hope the Senators sign Brady to an 8 year contract but I have doubts about the Senators doing so.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
I mean good lord, you list all the problems right there, and then complain about people complaining about ownership in a thread about the star player and (should be) captain's never ending contract saga that we've seen like 5 or 6 times before in the last decade. I guess we should all just shut up and take our yearly beatings from the hockey club that treats its fans like trash without saying a word?

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
The CBA gives the players 50% of each year's revenues. Brady is just trying to get his share of that.

Brady is probably worth less than Svechnikov who is getting $7.75M AAV over 8 years. We do not know what the Senators have offered. However, given recent history, it appears the Senators have not been offering competitive salaries, bonuses, etc. as we have been losing some of our better players via trade or UFA.

I hope the Senators sign Brady to an 8 year contract but I have doubts about the Senators doing so.

It probably does get done, but my issue with it is, when we have a players like Norris, Stutzle outscore Tkachuk, are they going to ask for more than 9 million each? Probably. If we set the bar that high now its going to bite us hard later where we can't retain our talent at all (we already know thats a thing here) . Realistically Tkachuk should be getting around 7.25/year. I like Tkachuk and want him on the team, I just have a hard time envisioning our "future" captain holding out like a Yashin type after we had Alfie paying wages out of his own pocket at one point. It just rubs me the wrong way because you know a lot of leverage comes from his name alone and not by his production. Again he's valueable to the team, but he also goes unnoticed offensively in games imo even though he does bring other elements other players don't.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad