OT: Boxing Thread

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date

BarbaraAlphanse

Listen, worst type of person or not, Cotto himself admitted after knocking out Geale in the 4th round in the Barclays in June, in his own words, Kellerman asked him "Do you consider yourself a Middlewight"?

Here was Cotto's reply:
"My weight uh yesterday was 153.6 lbs...do you think i'm a middleweight"?

Max- "Doesn't sound like it".

Miguel- "I'm not".

So him getting stripped of the Middleweight strap is no surprise to me.

He used the belt to leverage Canelo into such a horrible lopsided financial split.

I hope Canelo puts a stop to this guy tonight.

BarbaraAlphanse

Canelo beats Cotto via unanimous decision. Surprised he didn't get KOed. Let's see what Canelo says.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I'm left a little unimpressed when it comes to Canelo. He seems to be able to impart his youth and strength in a lot of his fights. What happens when he fights someone like GGG who is bigger, stronger, and has much better technique?

Cotto had some success boxing him early on and simply ran out of gas.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Also just an awful night for Roc Nation - like, beginning of the end type of night for their boxing promotion arm.

-Jay Z didn't do a single thing to promote the fight (word is it needs 1M+ buys to break even)
-Andre Ward, who should have been fighting last night, remains on the sidelines
-Rigondeaux, who is already one of the most boring fighters ever, turned in a performance that went to new boring heights
-Cotto loses the last big fight of his career

This is a true crossroads moment for both Al Haymon's stable and Roc Nation. They need stars, quickly.

Goldenboy has Canelo
Top Rank has Terrence Crawford
K2 has GGG
Main Events has Kovalev

These other outfits are not keeping up.

BarbaraAlphanse

Agreed.

Canelo said "Let's put on the glove right now, I'm ready" immediately after the fight. Then went on a press conference and said "Gennady is a friend and I respect him very much, but I'm the champion, and if he wants to fight me he'll have to fight me at my weight".

Del a Hoya wants Mayweather-Canelo, too. He could legitimately get that. Canelo hype train is back in full effect and if we're being honest, he really hasn't improved that much in his deficiencies that led to his Floyd loss and near Erinslady Lary loss. He cannot move forward or backward. Roach was right in thinking that Canelo can't move backward. Cotto just did not have enough power to make Canelo move backward. Meanwhile, Floyd and Lara were right in thinking Canelo couldn't move forward. They both punched and darted. However, Lara is no Floyd Mayweather, and didn't connect enough to win that fight.

I think it would be a great fight vs. Golovkin, but, I can't believe Canelo did not KO Cotto. I guess I had more faith in his power than he actually ended up using. Another flaw I saw in Canelo - not many punches thrown after landing a big shot. He didn't capitalize on those shots that made Cotto's knee's buckle.

I just don't see them fighting, yet. I read an article from LA times a day or two ago about WBC being based from Mexico and how these belts have greater significance to Mexican fighters than one could imagine. The author thought that there would be a deal struck within the 15 day limit for GGG and Canelo to agree. I disagree. Both guys have a lucrative situation in front of them without the other person. Canelo could do a rematch with Floyd on Cinco de Mayo and it would be huge. He could do a rematch with Cotto who "has a resurgent camp" (if you want to project how they'd sell that fight). Meanwhile, Golovkin would get the belt, fight the winner of Lee-Saunders (probably Lee) - which would unify the belts if he wins. He will be out of the 160 division by the end of the summer without Canelo in there with him. Looks like his introductory fight will be vs. Zurdo Ramirez if Zurdo can beat Arthur Abraham for the 168 belt. Zurdo is an exciting prospect - southpaw, 25 years old, something like 35-0, with a 70-75% KO rate - who has a clear size advantage over Golovkin. If he can win that, hard to believe Froch wouldn't be on deck.

I see Canelo and Golovkin moving in opposite directions if Canelo gives the belt up. Canelo to revisit his old cash crop fights and try and squeeze as much money as he can through them before he HAS to fight Golovkin at 160 because there is no one left fighting at 154 (or 155, Caneloweight). Meanwhile, I think Golovkin is out of the 160 division and onto the 168 guys after he unifies the division.

FWIW, I'd be afraid if I was Andre Ward. Not many guys have the potential to fight two monsters in their lifetime anymore. Kovalev and Golovkin? Hard to imagine he lasts in 1 of those fights, let alone both. Especially since he keeps running his mouth all over town. Just wondering, do we think he hires these journalists who feed him these loaded questions: "I reached out to Golovkin's camp as to why they wouldn't fight with you, but I just don't buy it" lol. And it's the same guy who keeps following up. Pretty much an Andre Ward ad, after that.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'd say logic would prevail that Golovkin needs Canelo more than Canelo needs Golovkin. I don't think the fight happens maybe until next November, at the earliest.

But Oscar is known for taking risks with his boxers. Lemieux didn't need Golovkin. Lemieux could have easily gone on to fight Tureano, and maybe even several other guys, before he fed himself to GGG.

Maybe Oscar's fighters are less risk averse than many others. Seems like Oscar is part of the "new era" where he wants to see more action and less padded records.

Maybe boxing goes back to facing top boxers off, and undefeated records become less appealing than good fights. Let's hope.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I'd say logic would prevail that Golovkin needs Canelo more than Canelo needs Golovkin. I don't think the fight happens maybe until next November, at the earliest.

But Oscar is known for taking risks with his boxers. Lemieux didn't need Golovkin. Lemieux could have easily gone on to fight Tureano, and maybe even several other guys, before he fed himself to GGG.

Maybe Oscar's fighters are less risk averse than many others. Seems like Oscar is part of the "new era" where he wants to see more action and less padded records.

Maybe boxing goes back to facing top boxers off, and undefeated records become less appealing than good fights. Let's hope.

I tend to agree with this, which is why I think Canelo vs. GGG will be contested south of 160.

But with that said, lets say Mayweather doesn't come out of retirement. Where is there a big money fight for Canelo without GGG involved? In the end, they need each other in 2016.

BarbaraAlphanse

I tend to agree with this, which is why I think Canelo vs. GGG will be contested south of 160.

But with that said, lets say Mayweather doesn't come out of retirement. Where is there a big money fight for Canelo without GGG involved? In the end, they need each other in 2016.

Where is the big money for Canelo if he loses to GGG? I see your point, though. Would Floyd forego *probably* 75+ more million to fight and beat Canelo again?

I'd love to see Floyd give a stipulation and say "i'll fight the winner of Golovkin-Canelo"... but he would never get in the ring with GGG.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Where is the big money for Canelo if he loses to GGG? I see your point, though. Would Floyd forego *probably* 75+ more million to fight and beat Canelo again?

I'd love to see Floyd give a stipulation and say "i'll fight the winner of Golovkin-Canelo"... but he would never get in the ring with GGG.

The cupboard is pretty bare in boxing from 154-168 right now. I don't know where Canelo goes if its not Floyd or GGG. I think Floyd would entertain the idea, but he wouldn't go up to 155 and would use his star power to perhaps weight drain Canelo (again). And, to be honest, I wouldnt even want to see that fight again. Floyd boxed circles around him last time. He'd do it again. It'd play out the exact same way.

BarbaraAlphanse

The cupboard is pretty bare in boxing from 154-168 right now. I don't know where Canelo goes if its not Floyd or GGG. I think Floyd would entertain the idea, but he wouldn't go up to 155 and would use his star power to perhaps weight drain Canelo (again). And, to be honest, I wouldnt even want to see that fight again. Floyd boxed circles around him last time. He'd do it again. It'd play out the exact same way.

Which is why I think Floyd would be so interested to do a fight like that. Canelo hasn't improved enough. Improved. But not enough.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Which is why I think Floyd would be so interested to do a fight like that. Canelo hasn't improved enough. Improved. But not enough.

Canelo has already claimed the May/September dates that were a Floyd staple. Im sure he'd love to get him out of retirement, but I don't necessarily see a fit. Canelo cant get an ounce under 155 now. He fought Floyd at 152 in 2013 and looked like an anorexic. I don't think Floyd comes much further north of welterweight, and negotiations die.

I don't blame Oscar and GB promotions though. Getting Floyd out of retirement, making big money, and getting circles boxed around you by one of the greatest ever is not much of a risk. Getting in the ring with GGG near 160? Now that's a risk to his health and future.

BarbaraAlphanse

Canelo GGG final decision to be announced tomorrow. Man I hope this happens. Even at a catch weight.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Anyone here watch MMA? Sorry if this is OT but i figure all fight sports could fit here.This weekend looks to be a fun one. Looking forward to Aldo's return and the Weidman fight before it should be real entertaining too.

Last edited:

BarbaraAlphanse

Anyone here watch MMA? Sorry if this is OT but i figure all fight sports could fit here.This weekend looks to be a fun one. Looking forward to Aldo's return and the Weidman fight before it should be real entertaining too.

I know Chris Weidman. About 8 years older to me, he did some work at my high school as a wrestling coach temporarily.

Not surprised he is bar none with grappling and defense.

Aldo mcgregor will be wild.

BarbaraAlphanse

Sources to ESPN deportes say Canelo Golovkin is NOT in the works for May.

BarbaraAlphanse

Guy at work here thinks Canelo will fight Danny Jacobs in May. Talk about significance if Golovkin fights Lee/Saunders winner and wins, defends his IBF vs Tureano, Canelo beats Jacobs and takes his WBA belt, and then they have a rumble in September with the winner unifying 160.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Sources to ESPN deportes say Canelo Golovkin is NOT in the works for May.

That fight needs to marinate, as they say. Also, the deadlines/ultimatums put forth by the sanctioning bodies are as good as trash, which is why I was so surprised the WBC stripped Cotto before the Canelo fight. That said, the WBC is not going to give up Canelo Alvarez as their middleweight champion.

Isn't Danny Jabobs aligned with PBC/Haymon? If so, a Canelo fight is not in the cards. Promoter problems, network problems, you name the problem and its there for a politics standpoint. Jacobs, like everyone else aligned with Haymon, is backed into a corner when it comes to options. They have to stay in stable at this point.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Im into it, but don't buy the PPV's or anything like that. Prefer boxing. UFC is at a real crossroads with Rousey losing, Jon Jones a mess, Andersen Silva old/on steroids/basically done, and St. Pierre retiring. They need to build up the brands of fighters quickly. I guess McGregor is the next guy they're tabbing for stardom.

BarbaraAlphanse

That fight needs to marinate, as they say. Also, the deadlines/ultimatums put forth by the sanctioning bodies are as good as trash, which is why I was so surprised the WBC stripped Cotto before the Canelo fight. That said, the WBC is not going to give up Canelo Alvarez as their middleweight champion.

Isn't Danny Jabobs aligned with PBC/Haymon? If so, a Canelo fight is not in the cards. Promoter problems, network problems, you name the problem and its there for a politics standpoint. Jacobs, like everyone else aligned with Haymon, is backed into a corner when it comes to options. They have to stay in stable at this point.

Pretty sure Canelo fought Lara on Showtime. Fought Floyd on Showtime. Fought Kirkland and Cotto on HBO. He's a floater.

He can fight may on Showtime vs. Jacobs. Sept vs. Golovkin on HBO.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Im into it, but don't buy the PPV's or anything like that. Prefer boxing. UFC is at a real crossroads with Rousey losing, Jon Jones a mess, Andersen Silva old/on steroids/basically done, and St. Pierre retiring. They need to build up the brands of fighters quickly. I guess McGregor is the next guy they're tabbing for stardom.

It's been a transitionary period with GSP retiring and Silva shattering his leg, but I think, especially if Jones can stop himself from falling off the wagon, the UFC actually looks pretty well set for the near future. The Aldo-McGregor card is stacked so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Pretty sure Canelo fought Lara on Showtime. Fought Floyd on Showtime. Fought Kirkland and Cotto on HBO. He's a floater.

He can fight may on Showtime vs. Jacobs. Sept vs. Golovkin on HBO.

I believe Canelo signed a multi-fight deal with HBO starting with the Kirkland fight, so no, it ain't happening.

BarbaraAlphanse

Honest question, how does a sanctioning body like the WBC profit?

I would imagine that they profit from the belt sanctioning fee for belt holders and also a percentage of profits that a fight brings in that involves one of their belts.

In that case, from a profitability standpoint, wouldn't Golovkin holding it and fighting 4x in a year make the WBC more money than Canelo fighting at 2x a year?

Golovkin is going to pay them 4x 300k sanctioning fee. 1.2m. 1 fight vs Canelo in September.

Vs. profitability of Canelo taking an bad-okay fight in May and Golovkin in sept.

It should come down to: does Golovkin's 3 fights of 300k sanctioning fees and profits make more than Canelos 1 fight?

I think yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad