OT: Boxing Thread

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No Russian bias this time, GGG got ****ing hosed.

He's from Kazakhstan. :teach:

I am really questioning why I waste any of my time watching these fights. Its so disappointing when something like this happens. It doesn't even matter what the result of the fight was, its that this happened that is so disappointing. Sports are about competition, when it appears to be organized crime, it makes the sport so invalid.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016

I am really questioning why I waste any of my time watching these fights. Its so disappointing when something like this happens. It doesn't even matter what the result of the fight was, its that this happened that is so disappointing. Sports are about competition, when it appears to be organized crime, it makes the sport so invalid.

Boxing has no credibility left.

Boxing needs to make changes but no one cares about the fighters enough to make any changes, so the corrupt promoters will keep lining their pockets like businesses as usual.

The fans need to stop paying for fights so that these the corrupt promoters don't keep lining there pockets they'll be pissed when it starts hurting their bottom line. I've seen so many terrible decisions in the sport of boxing that I've totally lost pretty much all interest in a sport that i admired for quite a long while. I feel bad for the fighters that put their life's on the line and for the rest of the fans that do love the finer things of boxing in the ring and the people that pay to watch the fight live, and on TV.

The politics have destroyed boxing especially within the last 5 years, but as long as the promoters and the letter soup organizations hold the power nothing will ever change and I realize that it never will.

Even though Uncle Teddy Atlas is kinda a senile old timer he's right. There needs to be a national or international commission to oversee everything in boxing and to hold everyone involved in the fight game accountable but no one cares about the fighters enough to make those necessary changes to the sport.

That was a disgusting decision, it's reminds me why I don't pay to watch fights anymore I'd rather watch it for free in the next weekend. I will never spend another cent watching a prize fight, I learned my lesson while ago.
Adelaide Byrd should be exiled from boxing for life for that embarrassing scorecard but rest assured you'll see Byrd judging another fight without any repercussions as if nothing ever happened until the next controversial decision.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I scored it a draw.

I guess its possible if you take every single round Canelo was not beat badly and give it to him to have it as a draw, but thats just about the best possible outcome for Canelo. You'd have to give him the perfect outcome for him and the absolute worst outcome for Golovkin with the scoring to have it as a draw. 118-110 Canelo is absurd.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
I guess its possible if you take every single round Canelo was not beat badly and give it to him to have it as a draw, but thats just about the best possible outcome for Canelo. You'd have to give him the perfect outcome for him and the absolute worst outcome for Golovkin with the scoring to have it as a draw. 118-110 Canelo is absurd.
There were multiple close rounds. I saw it was a 7-5 fight either way. I just happened to have it 6-6.

I think a lot of people screaming robbery don't watch a lot of fights. As bad as the Byrd card, the end result seemed perfect to me.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Really disappointing day for the sport.

This is the sports showcase fight of this generation, and corruption decided the outcome.

Corruption has been part of boxing forever, but this was incompetence. Corruption would suggest some sort of hidden agenda, but Byrd put a scorecard out there so damn wide that incompetence is the only answer.

I watched the fight live Saturday and again last night. I thought GGG won by 2-3 rounds, and especially dominated rounds 4-9. I thought the difference in the fight was his relentless and unwavering stalking of Canelo. There were times Canelo was clearly looking for a breather, but he couldn't shake GGG.

Anyway, I've seen way worse decisions than calling that fight a draw. Even if Byrd scored it 115-113 Canelo or 114-114, it still would've been a draw. Two things immediately strike me for the rematch, which you can tentatively pencil in for Cinco De Mayo 2018.

1. GGG's promoter needs to do whatever possible to get the rematch out of Vegas. Real or not, there always seems to be a judge in Canelo's pocket in Vegas.

2. I have to wonder if Canelo will take a rematch quickly. There were 2 very telling moments in that fight. First, GGG hit Canelo with a vicious left hook that got his attention toward the end of the 3rd round. It clearly rattled him. The back peddling started then and didn't stop for several rounds. Perhaps more importantly, Canelo hit GGG with his best Sunday punch right hand in the 8th or 9th round and GGG barely blinked - he just kept coming forward. Im not 100% convinced Canelo wants to willingly take on those problems again when he can sell 1M PPV's fighting duds like Amir Khan and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Probably because once you cool down from that 1 ridiculous scorecard, you'll realize it was a really good and entertaining fight that was worth the money.

I've watched boxing for so long now that I just assume the scorecards will be ****ed up. Its those 36 minutes before they're announced that keeps me coming back.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I was OK with the end result. Not OK with the Byrd card. She is such a joke.

I somewhat agree, although I think a draw for Canelo is the absolute best outcome he could've hoped for.

My first watch, I gave GGG rounds 3-9. That's 7 rounds right there. I also thought 10-12 could've went either way. Upon my 2nd watch, a lot of those rounds were closer than I originally thought.

I just feel bad for Golovkin. I've been following this guy for 5 years since he first came to America. I love his style. This was his signature fight, and I feel like they took it away from him.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
My 50 year old best friend won back to back NCAA wrestling titles and if wrestling was allowed he'd murder Paul.
May be a big difference between 58 and 50. I will root for Tyson but Paul seems to only hand pick guys he knows he will beat. I wonder if that is part of the deal? Seemed so against some "fighters".

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad